StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NHP identifies Reno man in fatal motorcycle crash; Subaru driver involved doesn't stop | Carson City Nevada News - Carson Now

My wife and I were in her car headed up to Lake Davis in CA for the day to hike and picnic when we came upon this accident. They had him stripped and were just putting him onto the stretcher when we pulled up and the life-force helicopter was just about to land. His wife (who was on her own motorcycle) was standing next to him still in her full gear.
I thought about this accident all day Saturday and Sunday but couldn't find anything on it. I finally found this article on Monday morning.
This is what scares the crap out of me every day when I ride. I am very confident in my abilities to ride safely, and I don't take risks. It's the fact that some jerk in a car can come over on top of you at any moment and then they can just drive off like nothing happened while you are laying on the side of the road. Another article that I found yesterday said that they believe that the driver of the car had road rage and did it on purpose according to a couple of witnesses.
This happened in an extremely low traffic area. Cold Springs, NV is just north of Reno about 10 minutes (it's basically still part of Reno) and is the last "town" that you hit for a long, long time.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yeah mate, worries me as well. Don't know how bad it's getting over there, but it's escalating here. Car drivers don't like to see motorcycle riders gain any sort of "advantage".

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah mate, worries me as well. Don't know how bad it's getting over there, but it's escalating here. Car drivers don't like to see motorcycle riders gain any sort of "advantage".
I wish the US had stricter laws on people getting their drivers licenses. The legal age to drive ought to be at least 18, if not 21 (when your brain is fully developed). It ought to be a big deal having to go through a couple of week long drivers safety course and then taking an extensive test. I think that a safety course ought to be required every few years as well to maintain your license. Driving a vehicle should be a privilege, not a right.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I wish the US had stricter laws on people getting their drivers licenses. The legal age to drive ought to be at least 18, if not 21 (when your brain is fully developed). It ought to be a big deal having to go through a couple of week long drivers safety course and then taking an extensive test. I think that a safety course ought to be required every few years as well to maintain your license. Driving a vehicle should be a privilege, not a right.
Agreed in principal, however, making the testing more rigorous isn't going to change the attitude of a person. For example, the bloke in the above video is old enough to know better. I wonder what his past driving record is like? It's attitudes that have to change before they will become better drivers/riders

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed in principal, however, making the testing more rigorous isn't going to change the attitude of a person. For example, the bloke in the above video is old enough to know better. I wonder what his past driving record is like? It's attitudes that have to change before they will become better drivers/riders
I agree with you 100%. I wasn't necessarily referring to the video when I made that statement, but just the general danger in riding a motorcycle (or even a car) around many drivers today.
Road rage and poor driving skills are definitely separate issues, but not completely unrelated.
I can't imagine being such a miserable person that I would let myself get to the point of attacking somebody at a red light.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You should try Thailand, they have the second highest fatality rate in the World and for good reason, speeding, drunk, no license, unregistered, uninsured, un-roadworthy and simply can’t drive or ride. In addition, they will pull a gun on you or run you down if you sound the horn at them or berate them for any traffic violation. It really is survival riding over here but there are some awesome bike roads.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Not sure about ya'll but when I was 14 I was (working legally, prior to that I worked off the books) working on a daily basis. My parents had to drive me until i was 16 and could get my own license. Mass/Public transit doesn't exist even to this day where I grew up. Waiting until I was 18 let alone 21 wasn't an option.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure about ya'll but when I was 14 I was (working legally, prior to that I worked off the books) working on a daily basis. My parents had to drive me until i was 16 and could get my own license. Mass/Public transit doesn't exist even to this day where I grew up. Waiting until I was 18 let alone 21 wasn't an option.
I was the same way. Times have changed quickly with the development of technology. 16 year old kids just don't understand the importance of fully paying attention to driving and staying off of their phones.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I think learner's permits should start at 14, while it's easier to learn to drive. still have to have a full rated adult driver in the car though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tell ya what. I worry that no matter how defensive of a rider I am, an idiot in a cage is going to pull out at the last second and leave me no option.

You can only slow so much and anticipate so much, but all it takes is the one guy that's sitting at a stop sign texting, only to quick accelerate without looking and pull out right in front.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Driving/riding, courtesy,road rules,etc., should be taught in school from the age of 15. In Oz, quite a few schools near the coast offer surfing as a curriculum course. With 99.9% of the population wanting to drive/ride, why shouldn't it be a mandatory subject in senior school?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just started riding motorcycles last August at 43. 10,000 miles so far. I have pulled out in front of a motorcycle before but stopped before really pulling out to far by luck, I was still looking his way. I think about that when I ride and try to make sure they see me. No matter what is gonna happen. Make the age 40 and stuff will still happen cause we are human in the end and fallible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What I don't understand is why nearly every time I pull up at a light, some bozo next to me thinks I want to race him or that I am threatening the length of his manhood by simply being on a bike. I'm not on a race bike for criminy's sake. I almost always ride with my side boxes. I don't ride fast or aggressively and when spotting this I just let them go ahead. WTH? Rant over.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not sure about the 21 thing, but I wouldn't be opposed to a two year driver's Ed starting at 16 and not getting a license til 18.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I tell ya what. I worry that no matter how defensive of a rider I am, an idiot in a cage is going to pull out at the last second and leave me no option.

You can only slow so much and anticipate so much, but all it takes is the one guy that's sitting at a stop sign texting, only to quick accelerate without looking and pull out right in front.
I've been a paramedic in an extremely eventful city for ten years and clock around 250 miles a week on my bikes. From my experience, most motorcycle wrecks are the fault of the rider, even if a cage is involved. Cars can't judge our speed when we're doing the speed limit, so going 10-over on a feeder road is practically begging for someone to pull out in front of you.

My clocked miles per week ties in because I don't get cut off, pulled out in front of, or have a cage encroach on my lane any more on a bike than I do in my car...as long as I'm riding in line with how cages expect other vehicles on the road to operate.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure about the 21 thing, but I wouldn't be opposed to a two year driver's Ed starting at 16 and not getting a license til 18.
I could even get on board with that. Anything would be better than the way it is now. Most kids are being taught how to drive by adults who are just as incompetent. A mandatory driving school would be a huge improvement!

·
Registered
54 Posts
As a bicyclist with over 200,000 miles I agree and have the same feelings. I feel a little safer on my Vee than on my Bianchi. ... a little.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
You can mandate driving school. You can mandate annual driving tests. What you cannot mandate is a sense of responsibility.

A percentage of participants in any activity will refuse to act responsibly. Whether this is a result of their upbringing, their genes, their sense of entitlement, the psychology of driving or what doesn't matter, the results are the same - their poor judgement gets someone injured or killed.

As far as I am concerned, anyone who uses a vehicle as a weapon should lose their license and have their vehicle impounded until sold. Get them off the road immediately and permanently.

Drives who cause collisions due to inattentiveness should have their license suspended for a period of time. As far as I'm concerned an inattentive driver is no better than an incapacitated driver, they should be treated the same.

You're never going to get the idiots off the road short of self-driving cars but the punishment for their actions should be harsh and not just a slap on the wrist.

This is a motorcycle forum loaded with driving/riding enthusiasts. We are not the average driver who sees a vehicle purely as a form of transportation, not entertainment or fulfillment. Their attitude is nothing like ours.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
I have just returned from a 3 week trip through southern Italy, Sardinia, and Corsica. To the uninitiated, Italian traffic is downright scary but, it is actually quite safe. Drivers there drive. By that I mean they know where they are, they know what is around them, and they are actually quite courteous to each other. They will wait for you to take your turn, but if you hesitate, they will go. They will give you room (no more than enough!!) and they do not seem to mind bikes at all; actually intentionally making room for you or waving you by. It is not a place for a timid rider though. You have to be assertive. By that, I don't mean aggressive. If you are at all unsure, it can be very intimidating. Margins that are expected here, don't exist there. Gaps are measured in inches, not feet. Once you get used to this, it is good. I say all this because, during a conversation one night, it was brought up that in order to get a driver's license here, you should have to spend a month driving, accident free, in Italy. Seems like a good idea. In all the time I was there, I saw only one accident and it was a single vehicle.

Another thing....you hear all the time about the two most used controls in an Italian car are the accelerator and the horn. I can attest to the accelerator thing but, surprisingly, very little horn use. Also, traffic laws are almost universally ignored. Traffic flows of its own accord, not some arbitrary rule. Not uncommon to see 140-150 kph in 80 zones if conditions were right. The police just seemed to leave you alone unless you were being stupid.

Not exactly sure why things seem so much safer there (and most of Europe for that matter) for bikes than here. Maybe it has to do with the fact that most of the cage drivers are either bikers themselves or have friends or family members who ride. The number of scooters in cities has to be seen to be believed and they DO NOT hold up traffic.

Maybe in order to get a driver's license here, you have to spend some time on a bike. If only I were king!!

Rod

ps - interesting to note that Corsica (French) was significantly less tolerant of bikes than Sardinia (Italian)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeppers.. Just drive like they are all out to kill you and leave the rest to your personal deity. Enjoy the time you get, don't worry about the rest because you cant change it anyway.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts