StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to taking the fuel tank off my Wee for the first time today to replace the OEM air filter with a K&N. My DL650A was manufactured in January of 2011 and has 10,800 miles on it, better late than never I guess. The only other routine maintenance item that I'm behind on (according to the owner's manual) is a spark plug change, so I'm going to knock that out (along with a routine brake fluid and coolant change) while everything is taken apart. Enjoy the graphic photo, LoL.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Blow from the TB side and not the full force of the blow gun or you might make holes in it.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
This filter has a lot of miles left in it. Just tap the bugs out carefully. See if any dust falls out - I doubt it. Re-mount.

I assume that the clean side is clean, means the filter seals well. If so just keep running it.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This filter has a lot of miles left in it. Just tap the bugs out carefully. See if any dust falls out - I doubt it. Re-mount.

I assume that the clean side is clean, means the filter seals well. If so just keep running it.
The clean side looked spotless. Thanks for the help all!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
If I went to the hassle to take all the plastic and tank off I would drop a new OEM filter back in the bike and throw the old filter and the K&N in the trash.
Agreed 100%.

If you going to reuse the K&N it would be best to wash and re-oil it as the oil is what catches the finer particulate. A dry gauze filter is about as good as stretching a piece of t-shirt over the air box. A high flow gauze type filter cannot filter as well as a paper or oiled foam filter.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed 100%.

If you going to reuse the K&N it would be best to wash and re-oil it as the oil is what catches the finer particulate. A dry gauze filter is about as good as stretching a piece of t-shirt over the air box. A high flow gauze type filter cannot filter as well as a paper or oiled foam filter.
I'm going to go ahead and clean/reuse the OEM filter.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts

Had mine apart the other day to solder some wires that were giving me problems and while it was apart, cleaned the filter and added a screen.
Always don't like seeing big bugs/bees in there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts