Strom Trooper banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I "think" it is that cheap Chinese made machine "CSC TT250", gets pretty good overall reviews though.
I'd say inexpensive Chinese machine as it's not cheaply made as some of the other China bikes certainly are.
This business model - direct from distributor to consumer is going to come in a big wave and give the traditional dealer set up fits.
If you read the history of the CG engines - they are made to deal with minimum maintenance situations The company makes 4,000 engines a day for a variety of marques, Zongchen is in other markets...

This is the AUstralian version - $1750 here and there is a hopped up versin ( better shocks etc )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sutikI6p64k

does okay. Exactly what it's for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs-nvN7aAgk

Much fun and not where you wanna be with a 650 twin

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
"At the bottom of the scale, it is an adventure bike"......yup what he said about sums it up. :wink2: Still needs more ground clearance to ever rival a KTM, Super Ten or a GS off the pavement.....safely and sanely.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Doesn't installation of a linkage raising kit fix most of the ground clearance issue? I just installed a set that took it up 25-30mm for all of $50. I don't want it too tall either of course.....

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
that's the problem that not really, this bike has better low down torque then new AT, versys 1k, f800GS, R1200GS, tiger 800xc, MT-09 tracer and more. I wish v-strom 650xt had this torque because I'd bought it already.
At least for me and a few others here, drop to a 14T front sprocket, then wind the DL650 up(it loves higher revs) and we seem to have found 'torque'. I have motored up a lot extremely steep trails and don't even have to slip the clutch since adding the 14T.

I have kept up with all the big boys(beemer/ktm/AT/etc) but even with my modified suspension they can still pull away from me on the real rough flats. I always catch them in the technical parts of the trail where they can't get away from me. So overall, I am extremely happy with my XT.

There will always be a compromise between money and performance....pick your poison and be happy. Farkled to the max, I have about 8K invested in my DL.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Doesn't installation of a linkage raising kit fix most of the ground clearance issue? I just installed a set that took it up 25-30mm for all of $50. I don't want it too tall either of course.....
Kinda a bit. I went up 3/4 in the rear, and this does nothing for the front. But, if you can get the front over the obstacle it then just slides right off. Even jumping moderate logs is easy. We did trail 82 in Tellico...two DL650's. One has raising links the other didn't but had the hard ABS Hyde low profile skid plate, so the skid clearance was almost identical. Both of us got high-centered in one spot on the whole trail. A peaked rock on the single track with no go around. Took us about 3-4 min each to get the pigs off the spit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Different levels of off-road. I would say most adventure bikes in their stock form are nothing more the fire road bikes at best. IMHO they are just way too heavy for anything else. That’s for me. I know I’m not strong enough to rodeo a bike this heavy through trails meant for dirt bikes. Maybe when I was younger. I know when I was 19 I had my Honda v65 Magna off-road more then I’ve every had my vstrom. I was a bit nutty back then though. Sure got second looks from the guys on dirt bikes.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Must be the seat of the pants dyno or peak torque is 1500/2000 RPM's lower than others:

2016 DL1000:

Power:100.00 HP (73.0 kW) @ 8000 RPM
Torque:103.00 Nm (10.5 kgf-m or 76.0 ft.lbs) @ 4000 RPM

2007 BMW R1200GS:

Power:102.00 HP (74.5 kW) @ 7000 RPM
Torque:115.00 Nm (11.7 kgf-m or 84.8 ft.lbs) @ 5500 RPM

2019 BMW R1200GS:

Power:125.0 HP (91.2 kW) @ 7750 RPM
Torque:125.0 Nm (12.7 kgf-m or 92.2 ft.lbs) @ 6500 RPM

2016 KTM 1190:

Power:150.00 HP (109.5 kW)
Torque, not listed but at 50% more HP I'd assume the torque is substantially higher.

2018 Africa Twin:

Power:95.00 HP (69.3 kW) @ 7500 RPM
Torque:98.00 Nm (10.0 kgf-m or 72.3 ft.lbs) @ 6000 RPM

·
Registered
69 Posts
I love the ultra-lowdown torque on my 1000. Means I can just hover the revs above idle and go up or thru or over anything. Fang it? No need....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Only time I'm really looking for more power is around 85 mph or so. At that speed I'm not really feeling any more or less pull leaving it in 6th or dropping it to 4th. It's very quick off the line and around town I love the powerband but on the freeway here you'll typically get people driving with 30 mph deltas between each other and having instant acceleration at freeway speeds is a big benefit.

Doing some magazine racing it looks like the current gen 1k is making good use of gearing as it runs the quarter at a very respectable time but it all seems to be in the first stretch. I remember my TL1000S pulled like crazy up top, would like to see some of that on the Strom but I know that's not what it's made or priced for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was asked how often I would be going off road and the salesman said to be honest so I said 20% tops.So he directed me towards the V-Strom.There was a Ducati and a KTM on the floor as well.I really wanted the KTM and I was told it was a more serious off road bike and the Ducati was more for on road.Ive owned a cr500 and a KTM 550 mxc and these are serious off road bikes.I never thought the v strom was in the same category.I bought mine for fire and forest roads and it does these perfectly for me.Very comfortable on highway too.I wouldn’t want it any higher to make it more difficult to mount on a hillside.I believe for me the V-Strom is perfect for mild off road use.Its pretty heavy for serious off road use or hill climbing.The V-Strom is the perfect blend.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts