Strom Trooper banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
There are a lot of sportbikes that make the VStrom look slow, but you won't see any of them on the gravel/dirt roads, and highly unlikely to see them out touring either, they are hooligan bikes, fun but limited purpose. The SV had 17 inch wheels right, smaller tank?

I have room in my garage for two bikes, or one bike with extra room for maintenance, so I need a bike that does it all, touring, offroad, inner city, commuting. The V2 fits this role nicely, and it is hard to beat the price point. I have yet to see anything better although I would like to get a ride on an Africa Twin one day, a shame Honda doesn't do demo bikes up here (Canada) very often.
Yep, 17" and 17litre tank - about 250ks range max. We did many tours on our hooligan SV1000 and an sv650 before it :)
and to be honest I do miss the sv engine , we bought the V2 for all the reasond you state :) great touring bike, aND we can explore dirt roads with more confidence than we could/would on the SV ;)
I love our V2, it won me during a 2 week 5000km trip that covered hwy,dirt,backroads,forest,2 up, fully loaded and all the time comfortable,and capable. its only when I,m WOT that I think "wheres the rest of the power??" I was never game to - or needed to ride WOT on the SV1000.
Would I go back to an SV1000. No. Would I keep one as a 2nd bike? no. Do I want its engine and twin carbon fiber Yoshimura race system on the Vstrom? YES!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I would like to get a ride on an Africa Twin one day, a shame Honda doesn't do demo bikes up here (Canada) very often.
I dont know where in Canada you are , but theres a honda test ride coming up in Barrie ont next weekend...
:smile2:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I think the Wee is marginal to be considered in the same class as the Africa Twin for off pavement and really is just an adventure bike not a dual sport.
It is a terrific road bike - comfie, good gas mileage ...but a true sport tourer like a CFB1000, FJ9 and others will run away from it.

It's an excellent utility bike, durable, reliable and with the long suspension nice on less that perfect pavement or forest roads.

Africa Twin might be the next iteration of that category with advanced features -
I'd like to see a slightly teched up Wee...lower weight, bit more horsepower...and maybe a 750 triple. >:)

Would be nice I think if the Wee and Vee moved their features apart a bit.
The Wee moving more toward low weight, agility and off pavement. The Vee into the Adventure Tourer two up machine.

I have to say after living with the 500 lb CBF1000 motor ....the Wee motor comes up short - even tho it rolls along at speed comfortably.
My KLR 650 is a reminder of good both my other bikes are :wink2:

·
Registered
122 Posts
When you get the V's engine running up to it's potential it is really marvelous. The V2 is way more choked than the V1 was. So much so that it hampers the driveability. I hope to have mine running well this weekend if the parts arrive.

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
When you get the V's engine running up to it's potential it is really marvelous. The V2 is way more choked than the V1 was. So much so that it hampers the driveability. I hope to have mine running well this weekend if the parts arrive.
That is not true at all, more torque with the V2 and has different gearing. It runs "good" and is smooth and refined unlike the first gen 1000. :fineprint: It is a sneaky engine, its runs faster than you realize at times, the first gen 1000 was rough around the edges and was most certainly not smooth and refined.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That is not true at all, more torque with the V2 and has different gearing. It runs "good" and is smooth and refined unlike the first gen 1000. :fineprint: It is a sneaky engine, its runs faster than you realize at times, the first gen 1000 was rough around the edges and was most certainly not smooth and refined.
The V2 has the catalytic converter and the servo flapper in the exhaust stream. I road the V1 for ten years and it reved more freely and had more pull in the top half. That is my impression after riding my V2 for the last month.

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
The V2 has the catalytic converter and the servo flapper in the exhaust stream. I road the V1 for ten years and it reved more freely and had more pull in the top half. That is my impression after riding my V2 for the last month.
I owned 2 1000's, one of which had a PCIII and Leo Vince race exhausts. It took me so much work to get that bike to run as it should, where I have heard few complaints overall about how well the V2 runs. Many have put race exhaust on the V2, it has an entirely new FI system and ECM than the previous, I still argue that it's refinement is what appears to make it rev slower and perhaps even feel slower.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I owned 2 1000's, one of which had a PCIII and Leo Vince race exhausts. It took me so much work to get that bike to run as it should, where I have heard few complaints overall about how well the V2 runs. Many have put race exhaust on the V2, it has an entirely new FI system and ECM than the previous, I still argue that it's refinement is what appears to make it rev slower and perhaps even feel slower.
I ran my V1 with Remus cans and a PCIII. Used the Two Brothers map.With proper TB syncing, she ran beautifully. My V2 is an early 14 and it needs some work.

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
I ran my V1 with Remus cans and a PCIII. Used the Two Brothers map.With proper TB syncing, she ran beautifully. My V2 is an early 14 and it needs some work.
There is little doubt it can be "uncorked" a bit more. :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
you guys have no idea what are you riding LOL, bye
You're right, myself and others commenting haven't ridden "or owned" any different motorcycles over the years from all manner of platforms and models. :wink2: The V2 is a great all around motorcycle, as are any of the Stroms, but "none" of them are power houses or torque monsters by any stretch, even when compared to their exact competition.

·
Registered
265 Posts
There are a lot of sportbikes that make the VStrom look slow, but you won't see any of them on the gravel/dirt roads, and highly unlikely to see them out touring either, they are hooligan bikes, fun but limited purpose. The SV had 17 inch wheels right, smaller tank?

I have room in my garage for two bikes, or one bike with extra room for maintenance, so I need a bike that does it all, touring, offroad, inner city, commuting. The V2 fits this role nicely, and it is hard to beat the price point. I have yet to see anything better although I would like to get a ride on an Africa Twin one day, a shame Honda doesn't do demo bikes up here (Canada) very often.
I rode the Africa Twin when I was at Barber. I wasn't impressed. The riding position and weight was very similar to the V2 but less torque. I didn't get a chance to open it up so no idea what the top end was like. I absolutely hated the wind screen and I'm not a parallel twin fan. There was no way I was buying that thing. Guys I talk to that own them say it's excellent off road. I rode the FJ-09, KTM 1190 also but as soon as I got on the V2 I was sold.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The AT was so over anticipated that it was gonna be a "hit" no matter what! The name and the "lore" guaranteed that :) Just like Kawasaki calling every model a "Ninja" - if they made a vacuum cleaner they'd probably call it a Ninja! Yamaha call the old XT660 a Tenere' - cheap enough way to stimulate sales ;) but getting back to the AT-Just like the V2 strom, in the early days you wont find to many complaints from the owners,
Give it 12 months and then the truths will seep out, good,bad or indifferent. As it does with any new model.
I like the look of the AT and think the 21" front wheel (not to mention spokes) gives them enough cred to put them a rung or two up the ADV ladder over the 'strom. Conversely I think the 19" wheel of the strom puts the strom a rung or two up the Tourer ladder over the AT ;)
(comparing V2 Strom)

·
Registered
123 Posts
My best riding buddy, who I've ridden with for about 50k miles over the past 2 years (all on Sena comms!), who I also think is the best rider I've known (grew up in Alaska, been riding his entire 49 yrs), who previously said that if he had "only one bike it would be a vstrom 1k, just recently bought a Africa Twin. He says that it's far and away better off road than the Strom (and he rode the Strom anywhere the other adventures bikes would go - and places they wouldn't) but the Strom is "far better" in the road than the Twin. He was going to sell his Strom but now he's not. FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have to agree with you there. I took my R11GS on single tracks and even caught air with it a few times. It was a very capable bike, but a pig if you dropped it. It wasn't especially fragile, either.

BUT, the best tool for off-road is a lighter bike with much less power. If I were looking for a true dual-sport, it'd be 400cc or smaller, and around 300 lbs. Even the 650s feel mighty heavy off the road. No one bike can do it all perfectly and I bought my Vee2 strictly as a road bike with some gravel/rough pavement capacity.
I have to agree with you on dual sport engine size. Have an 83 Honda XL600r and it does great on single track, steep and deep, muddy forest trails but it's heavy. If I found someone with a 250 dual sport with an engine and body in as good of condition as my Honda, I'd trade in a heartbeat.

I swap the front sprocket all the time depending on road or trail riding. Takes 10-15 minutes to do. I can bomb down the highway at 75 16 tooth sprocket or wind it out on a trail going straight up hill with a 14 tooth sprocket. But the weight...a 250 dual sport would be much easier to manhandle.

Wouldn't even consider taking my Vee on the trails I take my Honda. Too heavy, too low, and just not made for flopping over logs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
BUT, the best tool for off-road is a lighter bike with much less power. If I were looking for a true dual-sport, it'd be 400cc or smaller, and around 300 lbs. Even the 650s feel mighty heavy off the road. No one bike can do it all perfectly and I bought my Vee2 strictly as a road bike with some gravel/rough pavement capacity.
Yup ....we bought two of these specifically for banging around off pavement and light single track plus short commutes ( sick gas mileage :D )

300 lb..solidly built, braided brake lines, decent suspension and low cost. Air cooled with both kick and electric start and a decent sized tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dbE6ZvEGPQ

about two minutes in gets a bit rougher - bike is quiet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yup ....we bought two of these specifically for banging around off pavement and light single track plus short commutes ( sick gas mileage :D )

300 lb..solidly built, braided brake lines, decent suspension and low cost. Air cooled with both kick and electric start and a decent sized tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dbE6ZvEGPQ

about two minutes in gets a bit rougher - bike is quiet.
Details please. Make and model of the bike.

·
Super Moderator
12,983 Posts

What brand and model of bike is it?

..Tom

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I think the Wee is marginal to be considered in the same class as the Africa Twin for off pavement and really is just an adventure bike not a dual sport.
It is a terrific road bike - comfie, good gas mileage ...but a true sport tourer like a CFB1000, FJ9 and others will run away from it.

It's an excellent utility bike, durable, reliable and with the long suspension nice on less that perfect pavement or forest roads.

Africa Twin might be the next iteration of that category with advanced features -
I'd like to see a slightly teched up Wee...lower weight, bit more horsepower...and maybe a 750 triple. >:)
Africa Twin is maybe more cappable but it is still too heavy for real off-roading. It would be a liability on something like TAT, and you would be in as much trouble on it as on Wee going up the hill and finding that you won't make it.

With respect to FJ-09, it is nice bike, but won't be running away from Wee. Top speed limited at 115MPH, 1/4mi is only 1sec faster, and with smaller tank and worse consumption even if it runs away you'll catch and pass it by the next gas stop.

The biggest concern that FJ09 has a sportbike wheelbase 56.1" and Wee is what? 61.4"? so 2up loaded could be problematic.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts