StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2014 was purchased last year and pre-installed was a set of aftermarket fog lamps. The switch failed. I couldn't find a better switch, so I bought a replacement switch & wiring set ("Universal Motorcycle LED Fog Light Wiring Harness Fuse Laser Rocker Switch Relay") which I thought matched my setup.

The switch and it's connector are the same, but there is a strange wire out of the other side of this connector installed on my VEE, which isn't included in the new harness--red wire to third headlamp, which I'm calling LOW2. LOW2 is not shown on the wiring diagram next to the other head lamps (see Service Manual example below); however, it is shown in the PartZilla Headlamp replacement part diagram (#7, #2).

What do you think is going on here with this aftermarket wiring?
Does your VEE have this Orange wire connector out of LOW2?

White Product Human body Organism Gesture

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Slope

·
Vendor
6,723 Posts
Post a pic of the wiring harness clearly showing the number of connections or provide a link.

Amazon wiring harnesses often do not make sense. Some of them have both the trigger for the solenoid and the main power supply together. Which pretty much defeats the purpose of the solenoid. However, even those can be fixed.

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Post a pic of the wiring harness clearly showing the number of connections or provide a link.
Don't trust my wiring diagram of the harness?

Here is the installed harness. I'm holding the red wire in question...

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Here's a picture of what it looks like, if that helps..?
Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gadget Cable Font

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some of those switches are three-position, which gives you off, on, secondary accessory. My new fog lights have both yellow or white capability. I am just running the yellow triggered by a relay through the taillight, so didn’t install the switch, and left the white light lead capped/unused.

·
Registered
397 Posts
He's right, some of these relay systems are a bit... Messed? I had to take two apart to make them work properly. You can use a small flat screwdriver to bend the tab that keeps the... Geez can't remember the name, but the little connectors in the relay wiring harness. Bend tab, pull out wire, put in correct slot.

30 is main fused battery positive in.

87 main battery positive out to device you want to power.

85 is ground

86 is what I like to call trigger. Trigger can be any positive voltage to trigger the relay to bridge the circuit between 30 and 87.

If you want to reverse the relay, 87a is always on, till triggered.

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
30 is main fused battery positive in.
87 main battery positive out to device you want to power.
85 is ground
86 is what I like to call trigger. ....
What are these numbers referred to here?
They're mot in my diagram, Partzilla nor the Suzuki Service Manual I copied.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Those number will be printed/stamped on the relay.

Reactions: Gert and Sexyman

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link and explanation of the relay ID#s.

What about this red wire going out to LOW2?

Let's say I want to remove all of the old wiring. I got this red wire (don't cut the red wire!) out of LOW2 Headlamp which is routed into the other side of this switch (what you see me holding in the picture above).

If I could find this headlight on the schematic, then I could decide if it was added by whomever added these fog lights. But I can't see it (see attached hi-rez scan. Note. This VEE was bought in NY and not CA).

As I mentioned in the OP, this third headlight is shown in the Revzilla parts inventory, but not in the Service Manual. Very strange...

[EDITED. I added note about CA and last line]

NOTE: The new harness has a white wire out of that plug socket I'm holding (where the red wire in question is located). This white wire in the new harness leads back toward the relay.
The whole kit is wrapped in shrink, so I'll have to do continuity checks to figure out where it goes. Don't have time now, cuz I'm rolling this post while at work...

UPDATE (2022-05-11): Armed with new knowledge about relays I went to do continuity tests last night, and noticed the 'red' wire to LOW2 had actually pulled free of the aftermarket plug connecting to the aftermarket switch. LOW2 headlight was unaffected by the disconnection. With that decided for me, I just replaced the rest of the old wiring harness, with the new and taped off the end of this red wire. With the new harness there's something I don't like about the setup--connecting directly to the battery, you can turn on the fog lights when the ignition is off.

Maybe the old harness was connected to the headlight to solve this issue?

Unfortunately, the aftermarket fog light switch broke shortly after buying the VEE, and I never had the presence of mind to test if the fog light needed the ignition switch in On position.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts