StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of trading my V-Strom for an ST1100 if I can find one. Anyone ever driven an ST1100? How do they compare?

I love the Strom but the 6th gear overdrive bugs me cause I have to keep changing to 5th to keep it from lugging. Most of my highway driving has been in the mountains with 55 - 65 mph speed limits.

The Vee is great on the twisties and back roads it is just that I am driving way more highway than I intended. Maybe should of gotten a Gold Wing. :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a 2001 ST1100. It was a nice bike but there are some issues you should be aware of. They are rather heavy (and top heavy) and you will notice it after having ridden the V. They put out a lot of heat in the summer, which the V does not - and I live in a hot place. If you have long legs, you will constantly be bashing them into the fairing - there just is not enough room. They have a wonderful engine, great range and are very reliable. I got rid of mine because of the engine heat and the lack of leg room (I have a 32 inch inseam). There is no way I would trade it for my V. The V is more versatile and fun to ride. If you do get one, get a Clearview windshield and Laminar ears for a smooth air flow.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I am thinking of trading my V-Strom for an ST1100 if I can find one. Anyone ever driven an ST1100? How do they compare?

I love the Strom but the 6th gear overdrive bugs me cause I have to keep changing to 5th to keep it from lugging. Most of my highway driving has been in the mountains with 55 - 65 mph speed limits.

The Vee is great on the twisties and back roads it is just that I am driving way more highway than I intended. Maybe should of gotten a Gold Wing. :(
Have you tried a gearing change? I hated my Vee's stock gearing but a 16t front changed the entire power band for me, I'm very pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
When ridding backroads I rarely use 6th gear, you won't get any better milage, and as long as you're not going over 5-6 grand on the tach, no need to have to go into 6th. As stated a sprocket change may help you and would be probably less money than what you may loose by selling the bike. Cheers-BB

·
Administrator
17,537 Posts
Get a 1300.......and "why" are you using 6th gear so much, it is an overdrive gear? Let it rev.....life is good.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,040 Posts
I've had 4 ST1100's, it's a great road bike. Beats a 1300 all to hell for a road bike. I had an ST1300 for one road trip to Ca and sold it a month after I got back. The 11 is not as fast or agile as the 13 but a great bike. I would another 11 right now if they still made them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a 2001 ST1100. It was a nice bike but there are some issues you should be aware of. They are rather heavy (and top heavy) and you will notice it after having ridden the V. They put out a lot of heat in the summer, which the V does not - and I live in a hot place. If you have long legs, you will constantly be bashing them into the fairing - there just is not enough room. They have a wonderful engine, great range and are very reliable. I got rid of mine because of the engine heat and the lack of leg room (I have a 32 inch inseam). There is no way I would trade it for my V. The V is more versatile and fun to ride. If you do get one, get a Clearview windshield and Laminar ears for a smooth air flow.
I have heard those things before about the ST1100. The ergos on the Strom are the best. I will probably keep the Vee, It sometimes seems greeenr on the otherside of the fence.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Have you tried a gearing change? I hated my Vee's stock gearing but a 16t front changed the entire power band for me, I'm very pleased with it.
This.

I thought I always wanted an ST1300 until I had a chance to handle one. Heavy. Low. Lots of bodywork. My wallet flashed before my eyes. Then I went to the TCARC course and there were two Concours there - couldn't beleive how much heat they put off. Pass.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Had the ST1300 before the Strom while my buddy had the 1100. My 13 had lots of heat issues - none on the 11. I would consider the 11 to be the better of the two. Fantastic fuel mileage on regular fuel, unlike the 13 which was pretty good but used premium. Interestingly my buddy bought a KLR 650 when I bought the Wee Strom. Two weeks ago he sold the KLR and went back to where his old ST11 was still sitting - unsold, and bought it again. He obviously should have bought the Strom instead of the KLR - he'd still be riding it!!

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
I kind of went the other way. Used to own Kawasaki Concours (had 2 of them over the years) and finally got tired of the heat and (mostly) the weight. Switched to a Wee and have been extremely happy with it. Really can't see myself ever going back to a 650lb+ bike.

·
Banned
307 Posts
... ... there just is not enough room. They have a wonderful engine, great range and are very reliable. I got rid of mine because of the engine heat and the lack of leg room
sport-touring bike is just a sport bike with bags. non of them are very comfortable.

·
Banned
593 Posts
My bike before the Wee was an ST1100. I got really tired of the weight, and I'm not a small person (6'4", 240lbs.). It just wasn't fun to ride! It really wasn't any faster than the Wee, but it had good torque (it's just a beast, @ 700 lbs. with gas). I would NEVER go back. I've found that the lighter the bike, the more I enjoy it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had both the '95 ST 1100 and the Wee for awhile. The ST was superior for long rides. I rode it from CT to CA and thought I had found Nirvana. I found it to be smooth, powerful, quiet, comfortable (I'm 5'9" with 30" inseam 170 lbs. and 66 yrs. old) efficient (50 mpg) and reliable. It handled the mountains as well as the deserts. But it is a heavy son-of-a-gun when you push it around the garage or try to pick it up when it tips over (which they all seem to when your foot slips, or you stop it on too steep of an angle, or ...) Yes the weight seems to disappear when the bike is moving at even low speed - but it shows up again when you stop. I bought a Wee to go with the ST 'cause I got a great deal from a guy in the neighborhood. I soon found that the bike of choice for me to go on my everyday rides was almost always the Wee. The ST came out only when I was going to ride the freeways for a couple of hours to visit my kids. So I sold it and the Wee does it all now. But if I were young I would have kept it just in case...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Former '96 ST1100 owner here

I bought my ST in 2000. I had it for two riding seasons and put on about 23k miles on during that time, including a run from Ohio to Alaska & back.

The good... Engine was super smooth & has a great torque curve. Wind protection was really nice & cruising range was well over 300+ miles/tank. Bags were decent sized but since I camp when I travel I added a 52-liter top case.

The bad... Ergonomics just never worked for me. Foot pegs caused too much bend in my knees. Even after adding Hel-Bars I experienced shoulder pain, numbness & tingly hands. Handling wasn't much better than my 1200 Wing and the ST's very finiky about tires. Bridgestone 020's were a decent compromise for mileage & handling. Dunlop 205's stuck really well but front would cup @ 3k miles and rear was shot just over 5k miles.

The ugly... Drive-shaft splines puked @ 52k miles on the way to Alaska. At least it wasn't half way between Whitehorse and Daswon City, Yukon, right?! Parts were nowhere to be found the US. Or Canada. Not even in a boneyard... Unless I wanted to pay $550 for an entire used drive unit.

Long story short, there was another ST in the shop there & the owner got brand new parts for his final-drive that wasn't broken. I got used parts for the price of new. I was thrilled to get on with my trip but pissed that Honda didn't seem to have much dealer support in place for this model.

All in all, I am much happier with my Wee Strom. Have you considering changing the gearing on your Vee?? I've got a 45T in the garage that only has 7k miles on it... You can have it for the price of shipping. PM me if you're interested.

·
Administrator
17,537 Posts
sport-touring bike is just a sport bike with bags. non of them are very comfortable.
Really.....I am more than ready to take my new Connie 14 on a long trip anywhere, the Strom is no more comfortable....."trust me".

·
Registered
290 Posts
St's

ST's are hot, tall and not good in wind. They have fairing from head to toe and are like driving a sheet of plywood in crosswindy days.........

·
Registered
81 Posts
I guess my '95 ST 1100 was the exception. I had no heat problems, even in the tornado winds I ran into in Texas the bike was OK until I gave up fighting the weather when it reached 60 mph gusts in Midland/Odessa and the truckers were pulling off to wait it out.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
rode my new ST1300 in heavy winds yesterday, smiling all the way at how well it behaved in the strong OK crosswinds compared to my Wee (sold yesterday). The Wee has fork brace and Sonics which helped a LOT, but the ST1300 is way less effected by heavy winds. Smooooth. Solid. Handles intuitively. Oncoming semis - no big deal at all. ahhhh. Set the sag and damping and all, as should be done on any bike - good to go.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts