StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I come from the land of Triumph. I'm a big dude, 6'3" and 245 lbs. I rode the V yesterday and I loved it. I have a few questions for the owners.

1. I have big ass feet and long legs. 16w and a 34 inseem. The salesman was telling me the shifter extends out two inches. Truth? Also, are there peg lowering kits for the bike? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm sure you can adjust the angle of the shifter to suit your big feet. While they don't extend you can move them up or down for smaller or larger feet.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I use the lowering kit. Email Rick at Adventuretech directly with your questions. He's great with answers of what his products will and won't do.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I mounted a dirtbike shift lever direct to mine, gives you more space and have never needed a lowering kit, I drag my size 13's enough as it is...

I am also 6'3 and 245... ish...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mounted a dirtbike shift lever direct to mine, gives you more space and have never needed a lowering kit, I drag my size 13's enough as it is...

I am also 6'3 and 245... ish...
You can attach a dirtbike shift lever to it? How much longer is it compared to stock? Can I see a picture of it? Thanks man.:thumbup:

·
Registered
832 Posts
You can attach a dirtbike shift lever to it? How much longer is it compared to stock?
The factory shift lever for a DR650 is a confirmed fit on the DL1000. Installing the DR lever directly on the engine's shift pivot does away with the DL's shift lever linkage, too.

As pictured, I'm holding my NOS DR lever in place for comparison purposes. It adds exactly 3" of length when compared to the stock lever (I measured).

As for lowered foot pegs, I use the admittedly pricey SW-Motech units linked here. The left peg is evident in my picture, above. Plug-n-play installation that is much simpler than any peg lowering kit.

SW-MOTECH On-Road/Off-Road Footpegs for Honda XL1000V Varadero '02-'06, KTM 690 Duke IV '12-'13, Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 '02-'07 & Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 4V '08-'09 - TwistedThrottle.com

I hope this helps, you big SOB. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The factory shift lever for a DR650 is a confirmed fit on the DL1000. Installing the DR lever directly on the engine's shift pivot does away with the DL's shift lever linkage, too.

As pictured, I'm holding my NOS DR lever in place for comparison purposes. It adds exactly 3" of length when compared to the stock lever (I measured).

As for lowered foot pegs, I use the admittedly pricey SW-Motech units linked here. The left peg is evident in my picture, above. Plug-n-play installation that is much simpler than any peg lowering kit.

SW-MOTECH On-Road/Off-Road Footpegs for Honda XL1000V Varadero '02-'06, KTM 690 Duke IV '12-'13, Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 '02-'07 & Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 4V '08-'09 - TwistedThrottle.com

I hope this helps, you big SOB. :mrgreen:
That looks real clean and nice. An extra three inches would really help me out and lowering the pegs would also be of great service. Let me see what the dealer can do for me. Maybe they can get the parts, install them, and I can ride off like that after I seal the deal. Thanks for your help. I really want another motorcycle for traveling.
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts

:

Reverses the shift pattern too right?

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
I'm 5'7, 145#, size 7½ shoe, 29½" inseam... You guys always get the girls!
6'4', 160 lbs, size 11 shoe, 34" inseam. Some of us girls get the girls too!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I tested the AdventureTech shift lever relocation package with the lowered pegs. They are still on my bike. I have size 15/16 feet and that setup works for standard riding boots and even my Tech7 boots (which are like ski boots in size 16).

Haven't found any issues yet.

I have a 38 inseam leg....you may run into some issues between your knees and engine guards so consider that. Custom seat solves that issue and in general better comfort for tall riders. Stock seats on most bikes suck, Vee's are no exception. You may want to move up and back a bit as 'the pocket' of the bike is pretty cramped forward to the bars (IMO). Of course that usually means you need the taller shields and riser on the bars etc.

Something about Stroms is that you "need" to do a fair amount of stuff to make them great bikes (albeit, quirky), but the way I see it, it is cheap enough to do the mods, super easy to work on, and lots of options. Many bikes don't have all that going for them, so folks "accept" the way they are and deal with it.

All that said.....the bike gets respect from every BMW owner I have met riding 'adventure' or 'adventurized' bikes, so that should count for something, and they always mention that its half the price of their 'uber-engineered state of the art' bikes that most of them are afraid to maintain themselves.

The strom is not for everyone, its an odd bike.....but have a high fun factor and is a great project bike (I guess I never feel bad about modding it because its far from perfect when I started with it.....

The 1000 hauls and it can rip if you want to ride that way. Plenty of great vids on youtube show it can handle a lot and certainly keep up with the 'real' adventure bikes.

It does like to take naps though, and it is tall, you have to ride it appropriately.....long legs really help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts