StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently ride an ’18 Wee and an ’18 Softail Heritage Classic. Given the current used bike market prices, I’m planning to sell both of these bikes and purchase one new one. I’m torn between a 1050xt and a Versys 1000 SE LT+.

My riding style is relaxed and chill. Aside from the occasional on-ramp WOT, I don’t ride aggressively at all. I live in a place with very long empty roads (country roads are 70MPH here and the Interstate is 80MPH). A typical ride for me would be 200-300 mile day rides with the occasional overnight trip. We get some pretty heavy winds out here. I’m almost always on pavement but do have the occasional stretch on gravel. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I need something reliable and easy to maintain. Oh, also, I never ride two-up (don’t want to risk damaging the wife if anything happens – she’s too valuable).

I’m thinking the 1050xt is about perfect for my needs (I don’t want any Euro bikes for a host of practical reasons) but there is the specter of the Versys sitting out there. It might be better for longer miles. I guess it boils down to - given my relaxed riding style, would I be leaving all the extra performance of the Versys on the table or would the extra comfort be a factor?

I do not have the ability to test-ride either bike.

I’m guessing I would be happy with either bike. I’m leaning toward the VStrom because I had such a good experience with my 650XT, but figured I would ping you guys in case anyone has experience with both bikes and can offer some perspective.

Also, price isn’t a factor. I’m between two new 2020s. When factoring in luggage, they are close enough in (negotiated) price where it’s a wash.

Thanks of your input.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I went 260 Km (100 miles?) to test ride a 1000 Verses.Liked it ,but meh! Stranger in dealer lot,waiting for his buddy to have his bmw serviced said l should ry out a test ride on a vstrom;only 5 Km away.
He was on a Yamaha super tenere.Thought to my self,this is getting really un- biased! Long & short- l had zero intentions ,zero , of trying out a vstrom 2020 1050xt.What the hell I’m there anyhow.
I have a Honda st1300. LOVED that test ride & bike—Bought the un-used one from show room floor. NO REGRETS. Just PMS. Parked Motorcycle Syndrome this winter.
Did l mention Gear Driven camshafts(valve train) bullet proof engine?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
also consider this new Honda

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also consider this new Honda

Is that coming to the US? It checks a lot of the right boxes for me, but I've got a couple of great deal possibilities with the Strom and Versys because they are leftover new stock. If we do get the NT1100, I doubt I could get a very good deal on one for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Is that coming to the US?
one never knows with Honda, my guess is they will bring the NT to Canada and US, for a limited time, and then kill it like they did with another great bike (that just didn't sell well in North America)...I wish they would bring the VFR back, great Touring shaft bike, and DCT or Manual choice.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Reactions: Marmora

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I nearly brought a Versys 1000, what crossed it off the list for me is that MY planned used included back roads that have bent rims on other bikes. (Not my DL's though) and the Versys wheels are also prone to bending. That was the only problem I found and for MOST use cases it wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Considering your expectations I think both bikes would be great for you. Here in Europe the Versys 1000 SE LT+ is much more expensive than the V-Strom 1050 XT.
The Versys is more well equipped and has a semi-active Showa suspension which is considered as a very good one, a bi-directional QS, a combined TFT/analogue dash, cornering lights etc.. None of the two bikes are made for dirt real dirt/enduro riding but on a gravel road both should do fine.
I read some comparison tests and the Versys is always said to be the most comfortable bike with the most comfy seat and class-leading wind protection.
You won't go wrong with any of those two bikes. But if you can afford it then - I think - the Kawa is the bike that offers a bit more. Also performance-wise.

I'm saying this as a V-Strom 1050 owner :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Theintersection. I can help you here, i have had two versys 1000,s & currently have a 1050 v strom...the biggest difference i notice between the two is the versys is very TOP HEAVY its suspension is long & gives a comfortable ride but its a big heavy engine & its high up off the ground i was always aware of its weight ...the 1050 will average 60mpg (uk gallons ) & the versys 50mpg ...for fast motorway riding the versys is better at high speeds , the engine is a monster with power everywhere . However i had problems with both versys ..first one had the well known water pump seal leak , the second one had handling problems ( both were new bikes ) this may have been just bad luck as i know mates who have had nothing go wrong with there's. I use the 1050 v strom just for touring & odd ride out and i am very happy with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...for fast motorway riding the versys is better at high speeds , the engine is a monster with power everywhere .
So when you say the Versys is better at high speed motorway riding, are you just talking about power or do you also find it significantly less fatiguing given enough miles?

·
Registered
181 Posts
1050 SuZi. Get a givi, orKappa windscreen,handlebar deflectors.Set the suspension Manually once.Ride the bike,enjoy,farkle a bit as you would with any bike.

Long &Short to me is the L-Twin engine,gear driven cam shaft engine.Longevity of engine,& relative simplicity in todays bikes. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did l mention Gear Driven camshafts(valve train) bullet proof engine?
This particular myth frustrates me greatly. The DL motors are great, but it's not due to a valve train that doesn't have chains involved.

@Marmora, I'm afraid you'll be unpleasantly surprised to find Suzuki part# 127602-3F20-000 also applies to the 1050 as it has to all the 1000cc units before it, and the 1050's service manual addresses cam chain tensioner inspection on page 1D-62.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Both 1050 & versys are very good on the motorway . Both very relaxed & comfortable , i just found the versys better at higher speeds 80mph plus, smoother due to being a in line four .

·
Registered
10 Posts
I currently ride an ’18 Wee and an ’18 Softail Heritage Classic. Given the current used bike market prices, I’m planning to sell both of these bikes and purchase one new one. I’m torn between a 1050xt and a Versys 1000 SE LT+.

My riding style is relaxed and chill. Aside from the occasional on-ramp WOT, I don’t ride aggressively at all. I live in a place with very long empty roads (country roads are 70MPH here and the Interstate is 80MPH). A typical ride for me would be 200-300 mile day rides with the occasional overnight trip. We get some pretty heavy winds out here. I’m almost always on pavement but do have the occasional stretch on gravel. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I need something reliable and easy to maintain. Oh, also, I never ride two-up (don’t want to risk damaging the wife if anything happens – she’s too valuable).

I’m thinking the 1050xt is about perfect for my needs (I don’t want any Euro bikes for a host of practical reasons) but there is the specter of the Versys sitting out there. It might be better for longer miles. I guess it boils down to - given my relaxed riding style, would I be leaving all the extra performance of the Versys on the table or would the extra comfort be a factor?

I do not have the ability to test-ride either bike.

I’m guessing I would be happy with either bike. I’m leaning toward the VStrom because I had such a good experience with my 650XT, but figured I would ping you guys in case anyone has experience with both bikes and can offer some perspective.

Also, price isn’t a factor. I’m between two new 2020s. When factoring in luggage, they are close enough in (negotiated) price where it’s a wash.

Thanks of your input.

I can't recommend the 1050XT enough! I've been riding many years and have owned everything from baggers, standards, dirt bikes to sports bikes, American and Metric. I picked mine up last year and this is by favorite bike so far. Super comfy, great performance and plenty of storage with added luggage. I had the smaller version of this engine before with my 07 SV and this thing just is perfect. I swapped the exhaust for a Yoshi and it gives the sound a much better note without being too loud. I think you will love it!

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
454 Posts
The 1050 XT is way better overall than the Versys 1000 LT, especially if you go off pavement. It also looks way, WAY better than the Versys. It also carries its weight better.

The only place the Versys 1000 LT will clean house is in power. The Versys will leave a 1050 XT behind in 1st gear and will never look back. That Kawasaki 1,043 cc inline four is a beast. Tons of low and midrange with a very strong top end. I believe it's in the 125 rwhp class, while the 1050 XT would be lucky to be in the 100 rwhp class. I currently have a '18 Ninja 1000, same motor used in the Versys 1000. The bike is VERY fast. Not just on top, but fast everywhere in any gear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wound up doubling down on the road riding portion of my travels and bought an Electra Glide Standard. So no VStrom for me anymore. My gravel road adventures will have to be served by my trusty old CSC RX3. The heart wants what the heart wants...

Thanks everyone for your input.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts