StromTrooper banner

Thinking of selling my 2016 V-Strom

3018 24
Hey, it has been awhile since being on here. My bike has not gotten the riding in deserves and I am thinking of selling. I am wondering how the market is and if this site is a good place to sell.

Any advice and experiences would be super helpful.

Thanks

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Reactions: StretchNM
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
It can be area-specific.

Locally, I see very few options available in my rural area. Adventure bikes go pretty quickly because I'm in a great place for that. If I wanted to hop on a short flight I could pick up something from a nearby-ish city and ride it home - that would widen my options considerably. Though nothing has caught my attention enough to do so, yet.

Generally speaking, it seems like the market was hot, hot and is starting to cool down. Bikes aren't being snapped up as quickly as they were recently, but are still moving quickly and nearly for a premium.

I can't specifically comment about selling the bike here but would suggest posting it as many places as possible. I've been keeping an eye on facebook marketplace and craigslist, then checking here and on cycletrader. The more places it's visible, the more eyes will see it.

· Registered
1,915 Posts
I'd list it here, if I were you. Lots of people, interested in V-Strom motorcycles, would see it.

What part of the country are you in?

· Registered
5,321 Posts
Generally I've found that trying to sell a bike on a forum that is specific to that bike is all but useless. Most of the folks on the forum already have "the/that" bike and most do not want multiples, me not withstanding form the latter.

As for the market I do believe in 2021 was the high water mark and since late 2021 the market has been slowing steadily but still good.

· Registered
217 Posts
Generally I've found that trying to sell a bike on a forum that is specific to that bike is all but useless. Most of the folks on the forum already have "the/that" bike and most do not want multiples, me not withstanding form the latter.

As for the market I do believe in 2021 was the high water mark and since late 2021 the market has been slowing steadily but still good.
I sold my FJR1300 to another member on that forum.

Lots of guys seem to have good luck finding sellers there.

Thinking there are lots of people who visit forums when they are interested in a particular model, along with lots of members who used to own a particular model but may have sold it (or crashed it) but still come onto the forum occasionally, and who would consider buying another.

· Registered
5,321 Posts
I sold my FJR1300 to another member on that forum.

Lots of guys seem to have good luck finding sellers there.

Thinking there are lots of people who visit forums when they are interested in a particular model, along with lots of members who used to own a particular model but may have sold it (or crashed it) but still come onto the forum occasionally, and who would consider buying another.
I'm not saying it doesn't not happen but I know for me its been a waste of time. When I was selling my DR650's I listed them on a DRRiders.com and it was crickets. Eleven (11) of my R1200GS's were listed on inforR1200GS.com and not a peep. I listed my DL650 here and zero interest. Ducati's, listed then on two of the prominent Ducati sites and guess what, no bueno. All of the aforementioned motorcycles were also listed on other non-brand/bike specific sites and sold at or near asking price so it wasn't a pricing thing.

Come to think of it out of the 39 motorcycles I've bought none have been bought site specific to the make/model/brand. I always buy the bike then seek out the the forum. Out of the 37 motorcycles I've sold maybe 2 or 3 of them have sold on a make/model/brand specific forum and those that did were all Guzzi's which itself is a different kettle of fish.

Maybe I'm the outlier?

· Registered
5,321 Posts
I am here lurking and do check the marketplace for stroms for sale
But what are the chances that you'll buy off this site? Buying farkles on a forum one thing as they can be easily and cheaply shipped around the world with a click of a button with relatively low risk and cost of product. Bikes are very different. For most potential buyers if the bike isn't within about 100 +/- miles of them will pass as its too far to travel. Even fewer will buy sight unseen trusting the seller and then either having it shipped or doing a F-N-R. Shipping and/or F-N-R's also add to the cost of the bike. So for a lot of folks unless its a killer deal or a rare bike you are better off waiting for something to pop up locally. Even if you overpay by $500 its still about $500+ less than shipping or F-N-R.

· Registered
1,915 Posts
I’ve bought one V-Strom, from this site, and have looked at many other advertised bikes, here. Seems I always have an older bike, thus am, always, in the market, for something newer, nicer, etc.

Reactions: LV Strom1k

· Registered
217 Posts
The CL sellers were all local within 15-30 minutes of my house.

One of them hadn't even listed his bike, I went to his house to buy a pair of motorcycle pants he had listed on CL, and while we were talking in his garage he asked if I might know anybody interested in his 2013 BMW F800GT with 5k miles for $5,000 as he was giving up riding -

Came back the next morning with $5k cash and did the deal, lol!

The dealers were not local, but within a few hours drive - one was in Phoenix, one was in Riverside, CA (I'm in Vegas).

Fortunately for me when I am looking for vehicles (I like to buy used) there are several large population centers within a few hours of me, including all of SoCal, Phoenix, etc.

· Registered
5,321 Posts
The CL sellers were all local within 15-30 minutes of my house.

One of them hadn't even listed his bike, I went to his house to buy a pair of motorcycle pants he had listed on CL, and while we were talking in his garage he asked if I might know anybody interested in his 2013 BMW F800GT with 5k miles for $5,000 as he was giving up riding -

Came back the next morning with $5k cash and did the deal, lol!

The dealers were not local, but within a few hours drive - one was in Phoenix, one was in Riverside, CA (I'm in Vegas).

Fortunately for me when I am looking for vehicles (I like to buy used) there are several large population centers within a few hours of me, including all of SoCal, Phoenix, etc.
To me a couple hours is local. Most buyers think going across town is a long way to go and there buying choices are very limited.

We have some high-volume dealers that sell new bikes for sometimes $1000's less than the local shops. But they are 100 miles away and local people refuse to make the drive because it's too far.

· Registered
6 Posts
But what are the chances that you'll buy off this site? Buying farkles on a forum one thing as they can be easily and cheaply shipped around the world with a click of a button with relatively low risk and cost of product. Bikes are very different. For most potential buyers if the bike isn't within about 100 +/- miles of them will pass as its too far to travel. Even fewer will buy sight unseen trusting the seller and then either having it shipped or doing a F-N-R. Shipping and/or F-N-R's also add to the cost of the bike. So for a lot of folks unless its a killer deal or a rare bike you are better off waiting for something to pop up locally. Even if you overpay by $500 its still about $500+ less than shipping or F-N-R.
Chances are so-so that I will buy a bike from someone here. Part of the reason is that I would tend to trust someone on here more than the average CL poster. I also think feedback from other forum members on for sale postings is a good barometer of what people think is a good deal or not. And for sellers, I don't think it hurts to copy and paste what they post on another site and add it to a bike specific forum.

· Registered
916 Posts
I use Craigslist mostly when buying and selling bikes. I did buy a DR650 on ADVRIDER this year, but have never sold there. The seller was great in that transaction, each of us travelling 3 hours one way for the deal.

It may be worth joining ADV to list the bike if you don't have luck elsewhere.

· Registered
394 Posts
I use Craigslist mostly when buying and selling bikes. I did buy a DR650 on ADVRIDER this year, but have never sold there. The seller was great in that transaction, each of us travelling 3 hours one way for the deal.

It may be worth joining ADV to list the bike if you don't have luck elsewhere.
Right, definitely a larger pool and there you'll find cross-shoppers that won't be on such a specific forum as this. I agree with Perazzi on this. As a buyer, I think I'd trust people on either of these forums more than some random guy on Craigs.

I've always had good luck selling on Craigslist, and more recently on FB Market place. But, you have to be a motivated seller. That doesn't mean to accept the a**hole lowball offers that will come immediately on Craigs, but you can't demand top-dollar, either. I think the key to a good sale ad, is to have well-chosen, well-edited photos to go along with it. I've seen so many fuzzy, dimly-lit photos inside someone's garage, with a bunch of junk piled up all around it, and wonder, "Does this guy really want to sell this thing?"

Here's my lead photo from my DL650 that I sold two months ago on Craigs:

Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle

I have listed on Cycle Trader before, but never had any luck and I believe their sole purpose is to squeeze the maximum amount of fees and profits from their sellers as possible.
Good luck with your sale!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts