StromTrooper banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,290 Posts
The 2018 CB500x surprised the heck out of me with stability at speed. I simply did not expect to do 130-140 kph and the bike being more solidly planted than any other machines I've owned.
Now it might be the Madstad with the winglets that is keeping it planted but that was a really sweet feature riding cross country last June. I like to keep up with traffic and being able to without concern for stability was a big plus on that ride.

There are some amazing deals on the CB500x. Suggest the 2016/17/18 which has some advantage over the earlier versions but they are all reliable rides that are just plain fun.

Reactions: America First

·
Registered
266 Posts
I feel your pain. Im 5' 6" with 29" inseam. I love it when my tires are nearly worn to the steel belts. Its the only time i can touch with both feet...lol.

I have a 2013 BMW S1000RR that has been in storage for years and i got it out last week. It was such a pleasure to sit on and move around. Both feet easily flat footed. Light as a feather. All the mass buried as low as the engineers can get it. Quick shifter. Super brakes. (The rear brake has never worked on my Strom.) Oh and mind bogggling fast... Ive really enjoyed riding it this week. I miss the windshield of the strom but thats about it.

I have always wanted a BMW S1000XR. Its their adventure version of the RR. I found out that they sell a low version. I rode one and its pretty amazing. Nice feather light feel. Much of the mass is lower based on the bike. Quick shifter, both up and down shifting. Active suspension. Very smooth traction and wheelie control. All of that in an upright riding position with windscreen. I can definately see one in my stable soon.

It is certainly a lighter shorter alternative.

·
Premium Member
5,290 Posts
The only BMW I'd consider - and they look small ....what a sleeper to waste the hotshots on the sport bikes. 170 HP with toys.
2019 BMW S1000XR | Bob's BMW Motorcycles

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I'm 5'7" also. I have a 2018 Wee:

1. Take off the seat
2. Remove the four rubber bumpers
3. Wrap a lot of duct tape around the two seat "tongues" that fit under the tank.
This will force the front of the seat lower.
4. Get a set of handlebar risers. But be careful not to get them too big, or you'll have trouble with your cables fitting. Even a little bit goes a long way.

Between these two mods, I lowered my seat about 3/4" which although it doesn't sound like a lot, made a big difference. Also make sure your boots have a substantially thick heel.

As far as top heavy, don't agree. I had an 800 Tiger, and thought that bike was really top heavy. I sold it and bought my Strom and I'm super happy with it. I ride it every winter all over Latin America.

BTW, LOVE your forum handle. Go USA!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I appreciate the advice. No, I have not thought of it, but probably won't since I want a bike with a windscreen. Maybe it's close-minded of me, but with already being on a Suzuki, I'd like to consider other brands.
You know you can add a aftermarket windshield to a SV650? My daughter added a Puig Touring to her Gladius(SV650)

Reactions: America First

·
Registered
21 Posts
My main ride is a DL650, but I had an SV650 and currently a Versys-X 300. Although the DL and the SV have the same engine, the SV was so much lower (seat and center of gravity), smaller, and lighter that they were night and day in terms of being able to handle. My short(er) wife and kids could ride the SV, but I would never let them try the DL. Too large and top-heavy.

It is the Versys 300 that was the real surprise, however. Although I love my Strom, the 300 is a close second. It is a high-revving engine, which takes some getting used to, and is less power, obviously, but I have no problem maintaining 75-80 on the highway if I need to. For around town, it is a ton of fun. You feel like you are racing everywhere, without getting into two much trouble. Although it is not a small bike, the seat is relatively low, and my wife and kids manage it just fine. Because it is lighter, it is so much more confidence inspiring on rough roads and gravel. I have even done single-track on it, although that was perhaps not wise. I went back and forth between the CB500X and the Versys-X 300. Both a great choices, but for us, the Versys turned out to be the right decision.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nathanen, sounds like you really like the Versys I think it is my favorite new bike in theory but I haven't ridden one yet. It's just like a little V-Strom but also like a seventies trail bike with modern stuff. It might be just the ticket for what I'd like next. I have no need for another highway bike, just something to tool around on. I'd love to find one rashed up a bit and turn it into my pseudo adventure ride. 300cc is plenty. I hope it is a winner for you. Best, DD

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I'm not on my Vstrom I have a Harley Sportster that is a lot of fun. It's about as heavy as the Vstrom, but it's so low that you don't really notice.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
I'm 5'8, 30 inch inseam, and ride a 18' DL1000. It's too high off the showroom floor. Suzuki has an OEM "Low Seat" which drops the height another 1.5 inches. I also installed 1.5 inch bar risers.

Then I had to solve the wind issues by changing the seating position. It wasn't trivial, but I've done it.

The bike is perfect now.

I can totally understand the weight issue. The Honda CB500X would be on my list if I couldn't handle the weight of the bike anymore.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts