StromTrooper banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Now that's an eye opener for me

432 wet is the same as the CB500x with way more power. No weather protection but like the seat height and position. Won't get the mileage or have the range ( smaller tank ) but lotsa fun. Higher redline and 50% more HP.

2019 Suzuki SV650

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
My buddy has an '03 SV650N. He installed an aftermarket wind screen. He really likes the bike and the windscreen gives him all the protection he needs!!! Note: IMHO I would buy a used SV if you're interested in the model. You can pick them up for ~$3,000 with no difficulty. I would only consider 2003 and newer. The prior models were carbs. 2003 and late are Fuel Injected. The N (naked) models have a much more relaxed riding position!!!

The pic below is my buddy on his '03 SV650 before installing the windscreen.
He's 5'8" tall.

Now that's an eye opener for me

432 wet is the same as the CB500x with way more power. No weather protection but like the seat height and position. Won't get the mileage or have the range ( smaller tank ) but lotsa fun. Higher redline and 50% more HP.

2019 Suzuki SV650

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Not in the market ...happy with my CB500x for my use but will keep that low seat in mind for others. It's a fair bit more expensive than the CB500s.

My son had an SV650s and the ergos were awful - the ones above look pretty good.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Not in the market ...happy with my CB500x for my use but will keep that low seat in mind for others. It's a fair bit more expensive than the CB500s.

My son had an SV650s and the ergos were awful - the ones above look pretty good.
Yeah, the S models were basically a full on sport bike. The N models had UJM ergonomics. The new SV650 only offer the basic UJM set-up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Getting a chuckle out of this thread. I just bought a Wee because I needed a lighter bike. The Wee is over 300# lighter than my ST1300.

I am over 70 with re-worked knees and going in to have my left hand rebuilt for the 3rd time on the 18th. The doctor tells me 3 months Occupational Therapy and most of a year to regain 90% of my current strength. No way am I willing to go that long without riding. Yesterday I put the left arm in a sling an tried moving the Wee around the barn. No trouble at all, even got it on the center stand with one hand. Tried the same thing with the ST and it would not bulge. It is now under it's cover and out of the way till next spring. The Wee happily taking it's place by the garage door.

I've been riding since 1962, owned a race track and performance riding school for 10 years. Riding a bike that is too tall or too heavy is high on the list of causes of accidents. I have seen a short person on a tall bike go down and get a serious exhaust burn due to a bit of diesel spilt by the gas pump. They put the right foot down, went to kick down the side stand and the boot slipped, bike pinned em against the pump. If they could have put both feet on the ground there would have been no problem.

In looking for lighter bikes I tried the Honda CTX, It was comfortable but I did not like the absence of ABS. It felt very low and well balanced. Also tried the SV as has been mentioned above. It was too short for me but felt well balanced too.

At the end of the day, you need to put some miles on a bike you like before handing over the cash.

And go to a riding school to build confidence and to make you a safer rider. Besides, you will enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Getting a chuckle out of this thread. I just bought a Wee because I needed a lighter bike. The Wee is over 300# lighter than my ST1300.

I am over 70 with re-worked knees and going in to have my left hand rebuilt for the 3rd time on the 18th. The doctor tells me 3 months Occupational Therapy and most of a year to regain 90% of my current strength. No way am I willing to go that long without riding. Yesterday I put the left arm in a sling an tried moving the Wee around the barn. No trouble at all, even got it on the center stand with one hand. Tried the same thing with the ST and it would not bulge. It is now under it's cover and out of the way till next spring. The Wee happily taking it's place by the garage door.

I've been riding since 1962, owned a race track and performance riding school for 10 years. Riding a bike that is too tall or too heavy is high on the list of causes of accidents. I have seen a short person on a tall bike go down and get a serious exhaust burn due to a bit of diesel spilt by the gas pump. They put the right foot down, went to kick down the side stand and the boot slipped, bike pinned em against the pump. If they could have put both feet on the ground there would have been no problem.

In looking for lighter bikes I tried the Honda CTX, It was comfortable but I did not like the absence of ABS. It felt very low and well balanced. Also tried the SV as has been mentioned above. It was too short for me but felt well balanced too.

At the end of the day, you need to put some miles on a bike you like before handing over the cash.

And go to a riding school to build confidence and to make you a safer rider. Besides, you will enjoy the experience.
Very well said.

I had the same ST - and an FJR. Lord but that FJ was a great bike, a real couch on the road. Like the ST - heavy tho. The Wee delivers such a nice balance of weight, power and agility. I'm going to ride mine until I no longer can. It's such an underestimated bike and shouldn't be. It's the opposite.

Hope you are able to ride soon.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Got to ride with a guy that had a CSC RX-4 last Thursday. Nice looking bike, made 70mph no problem on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
5,515 Posts
I think the CB500X is @ 430 lbs? So not AS lightweight as a Kawa Z400 (a darling 368 lbs), for example, but I think the CB's weight is carried lower, as well, so... that would help me.
The CB500s feel dramatically lighter than the V-Strom. Seriously if you haven't sat on one give it a go. I remember remarking out loud that the first year CB500s felt like 125s when I sat on them. But check out teh pre-2018 and older CB500X.

Just like the high center of gravity makes a V-Strom feel heavy, the low center of gravity makes the CB500 feel feather light.

·
Vendor
5,515 Posts
Got to ride with a guy that had a CSC RX-4 last Thursday. Nice looking bike, made 70mph no problem on the highway.
There is a new Chinese Zontes 310 adventure bike out now also. Not sure if it has made it to the US or not, but single cylinder four stroke and light. Electriclly adjustable windscreen, ABS, Crash bars, all for $3,900. Kawasaki dependability, probably not.

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
But check out teh pre-2018 and older CB500X.
2019 got the larger front wheel and narrower but taller tank and a bit of oomph boost - 4%

2016-2018 got the bigger tank and few other oddments.

2013 -2015 the original.

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info- hadn't heard of the brand, but I see that it's from China. I don't buy from commies, so that disqualifies this brand.
I know, so much crap we buy is made over there. Understood. So I'll clarify: I do my best to not buy large-ticket items from commies.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
No one can define the "best" bike for another person. I can say this, down the road a bit when I can no longer handle the height/weight of my Wee...I'm going straight to the SV because of it's size/weight/balance and most importantly: the Wee V-Twin motor. Based on too many bike purchases it wasn't until after all those purchases that I realized how important the motor underneath you really is.

Just me personally now...I went down that BMW route on a smaller GS and regretted it. I'll never own another parallel twin. The V-Twin, IMNSHO, is the far superior motor in every way. Again - that's my preference and YMMV. Which is to say...finding a bike that fits you is indeed important - but, I respectfully suggest, don't underestimate how that bike "feels" as you work through the gears. Wind managment and other issues can usually be overcome with a little research, but once you buy that engine...

Merry Christmas and best of luck.

Cheers.
The DL650 has spoiled me because it's been my first bike (I'm not counting a Yamaha XT250 kick start I briefly owned in college). I ADORE the power band of the Strom. So trust me, I am a huge fan of the V-twin motor. But I still will try and get some test rides of some parallel twins once we get out of this cold snap in PA. While the parallel twins were not for you, they do suffice for other people. I just won't know until I try them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
The CB500s feel dramatically lighter than the V-Strom. Seriously if you haven't sat on one give it a go. I remember remarking out loud that the first year CB500s felt like 125s when I sat on them. But check out teh pre-2018 and older CB500X.

Just like the high center of gravity makes a V-Strom feel heavy, the low center of gravity makes the CB500 feel feather light.
Hey Richlandrick, thanks for the suggestion. I do plan to try out a CB500X and also a BMW F 700 GS in the next few months. I don't have Kardasian money to play with, so my evaluation will have to consist of some significant time on each bike (hopefully). But I'm not looking at any other bikes at this point. Think I'm settled on one of those two. Who knows? Maybe I end up sticking with the DL650. But I have to try the other two bikes first to see what I think.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Well which ever, I remember you were headed to the PNW, so we hope to see you at this years western gathering.
I was/did head out there with every intention of staying in the PNW. Aside from dodging all the homeless people, I absolutely love that part of the country. But I missed my (all grown and in college or grad school) kids too much, so I came back a few months ago. But I did get in some amazing rides on the V-Strom out there. WOW. More still to see, so I will have to make it back out there to tour on a bike again. Sorry I'll miss you at the western gathering!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I enjoyed this thread. Its interesting to see all these bikes people like. I am an old guy, actually owned my first real motorcycle (Honda 305 Super Hawk) a LONG time ago! Raced bikes in the '70's, owned my own motorcycle shop back then and rode a ton of bikes of all sized, shapes and colors as they say. One thing I learned was there just isn't one perfect bike for everyone. After years of owning everything from a 100CC Hodaka to my 1050 Triumph Tiger, a few BMW;'s (up to my lovely K1200GT) I have finally settled on just owning one bike: A 2017 DL650. I will not tell anyone its the greatest bikes ever for everyone, but for me its just perfect. Vastly lighter and less top heavy than the 1050 Tiger, but that Tiger could roar! Not nearly as smooth and powerful as the mighty K1200, but so much less expensive to care for! It doesn't seem tall or heavy for me as I came from larger and more powerful machines. But, I am not the OP. She is looking for what fits her and what fits her budget. Lots of good suggestions even making me wonder if I should go out and look at some of these bikes!
From time to time I go look at other options. But, I have owned DL650's since my first one back in 2005 and have always liked them. I like Honda's as they are high quality machines and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I have had Kawasaki's and they were dependable also. As for BMW's, I always said a prayer nothing would break! Love the bikes but hate the cost of service. I feel the same about the KTM's. I really like their bikes but know the issues ($$$) if service or repair is needed. My DL650's have never given me a issue in the nearly 15 years I have owned them.
I hope this nice lady finds the machine that fits her needs and style and stays within her budget.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
With highs of @ 46F in my part of Pennsylvania today, I took my 2017 DL650 out for a bit on some country roads. Again, I was reminded of how much I love how the V-Strom handles, and the power that is available to me. It seems like anytime I want more power, I just gently open the throttle, and the bike responds effortlessly. The bike's not a perfect fit for me size-wise, but I'll get risers put on in the spring to bring the handlebars a little closer to me. Bottom line is there is a long list of things I love about my V-Strom, and only one or two things that aren't perfect. It's almost like I've been spoiled with the V-Strom being my first bike. So- for now, I'm happily sticking with my trusty 2017 DL650. IF I get an opportunity to test ride a 700 GS, I'll do it, and come spring, I'll try and test ride a CB500X. Yes, the V-Strom is a heavy (for me) bike, and I can't pick it up by myself, but once I get going, it's pure joy. And besides, it's my responsibility to become a better rider, to become more comfortable with low-speed maneuvers etc. Apologies to my Wee- I haven't really appreciated what I DO have.

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
DL650s are sweet in the twists. Given what I've read lately an SV650 might be the perfect blend. I don't think the CB500x will give you the power you enjoy tho it is agile in the twists.

The SV is the same weight as the CB500x, lower seat than the Vstrom and a smaller tank volume which translates to less top heavy. Higher red line and 50% more power than the CB500x.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
DL650s are sweet in the twists. Given what I've read lately an SV650 might be the perfect blend. I don't think the CB500x will give you the power you enjoy tho it is agile in the twists.

The SV is the same weight as the CB500x, lower seat than the Vstrom and a smaller tank volume which translates to less top heavy. Higher red line and 50% more power than the CB500x.

Hey Macdoc, I appreciate the suggestion. I'll consider it, but I DO like having a windscreen and fairings for some weather/wind protection. I also want to do some touring, and the DL is set up perfectly to handle all that. Someone in an earlier post suggested the SV650, and I shot them down, saying I already have a Suzuki and want to look elsewhere (sorry to that poster! lol).

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
I had a 2014 CB500X.........absolutely loved that little bike. It felt so much more "agile" than my 2008 wee.........and nearly as "quick". Of course, it was not the Wee compared to faster highway slabbing, but the 500X would hold its own in the twisties (I had a full exhaust on it). I actually found a Red 2017 CB500X this morning that is a STEAL.........3,000 miles..........I may get it. Do I need it........heck no!! I have an addiction for "bike deals".........
(NOTE: now is a good time to Buy.......folks need spending $$$, and tax season is coming)

81 - 100 of 110 Posts