StromTrooper banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
no legs ...okay for local trips but IMNSHO all the 300s suffer from too high an RPM at highway speeds where the CB500x has just enough extra to cruise nicely at 5k rpm at highway speeds and still get 60 mpg.

What surprised me was the stability at 80 mph coming back from out west.

310 is high on my list for Australia to replace the KLR650 but price may be prohibitive.

If they move that into a 400-450 cc range ....killer machine. Honda hit the sweet spot with 477cc and right at the limits for Learner machines.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I owned a Versys X300 for barely a season. I was impressed at how well sorted it was overall, and how Kawasaki seemed to have paid attention to many details. The one fatal flaw for me was that I found the constant high rev's fatiguing. I also experienced horrible turbulence off the windscreen smacking me right in the helmet, and I didn't keep the bike long enough to try to sort that out.

A 2018 CB500X seems like the best bet for you if you can find one. What's funny is side-by-side, the Honda actually seems a bit more compact than the X300.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would absolutely recommend the CB500x. I just (mid September) took a two week trip around Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. I was on an Africa Twin but my wife with 6 months riding experience at the time was on the CB500x. It had plenty of power to keep up on the highway and was perfect when the speed limit was anything less than 70. I'm sure it could run at 70 all day if needed. We did a couple of 4 hour runs on the highway and it did fine. The only time it was ever so slightly underpowered was when we were going up a mountain pass at 8000ft with a headwind. as far as the new seat height she sat on a 2018 once we got back. Because they narrowed the seat on the 2019 the reach to the ground was the same for her as the 2019.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I would absolutely recommend the CB500x. I just (mid September) took a two week trip around Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. I was on an Africa Twin but my wife with 6 months riding experience at the time was on the CB500x. It had plenty of power to keep up on the highway and was perfect when the speed limit was anything less than 70. I'm sure it could run at 70 all day if needed. We did a couple of 4 hour runs on the highway and it did fine. The only time it was ever so slightly underpowered was when we were going up a mountain pass at 8000ft with a headwind. as far as the new seat height she sat on a 2018 once we got back. Because they narrowed the seat on the 2019 the reach to the ground was the same for her as the 2019.
Were you two in Washington state in late August? I ran into/spoke with a couple with an Africa Twin and a CB500X...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nope we were there after labor day. Also to help you with sizing my wife is 5ft 5in. We are looking for a 2019 for her, but finding one at a good price is hard. Due to the smaller displacement I would argue (completely subjectively) that 100 percent of the CBs power is useable, so the ever so slight bump and adjustment to the torque curve for the 2019 was appealing. We found a barely used one for 6 grand, but then the dealer wanted a 375 dollar reconditioning fee. So we passed.

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Are you looking for something kind of ADV bike ish? If not you might try the suzuki sv650. I rode one of them before I rode a V strom. The sv650 was a bit small and cramped for me so I forgot about it. They are smaller and lighter than the V stroms. Plenty of power.

there are a lot of used ones out there.

Just another possibility to explore.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
32 Posts
She said she'd prefer to not look like a hooker on a Harley or a stripper on a street bike. Also she pointed out that most of the boots have high heels in addition to the soles and she wouldn't want to be in heels all day. With that being said any recommendations are always welcome, but she did feel quite strongly about those boots. Sorry.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Are you looking for something kind of ADV bike ish? If not you might try the suzuki sv650. I rode one of them before I rode a V strom. The sv650 was a bit small and cramped for me so I forgot about it. They are smaller and lighter than the V stroms. Plenty of power.

there are a lot of used ones out there.

Just another possibility to explore.

Cheers

RLBranson
I appreciate the advice. No, I have not thought of it, but probably won't since I want a bike with a windscreen. Maybe it's close-minded of me, but with already being on a Suzuki, I'd like to consider other brands.

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
What she will look like is a sensible bike rider who is short.

They are designed for riding and protection and happen to give a 1" lift.....once set up ...30 sec in or out - just one zipper to pull down. Mine were perfect for the Vstrom ...don't need them on the CB500x - just wear my lower BMW boots that are Gortex.

What is her alternative footwear?? You really don't buy mcycle boots on looks gotta say.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I appreciate the advice. No, I have not thought of it, but probably won't since I want a bike with a windscreen. Maybe it's close-minded of me, but with already being on a Suzuki, I'd like to consider other brands.
My riding buddy has a 2003 SV650N. He put an aftermarket windscreen on it and says it works great. Just an FYI. :smile2:

Note: He's approx. 5'8" tall and the SV fits him perfectly.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
My riding buddy has a 2003 SV650N. He put an aftermarket windscreen on it and says it works great. Just an FYI. :smile2:

Note: He's approx. 5'8" tall and the SV fits him perfectly.
Thanks for the info. I'd like to test ride out a low-suspension BMW F 700 GS. Fuel tank is nice and low under the seat, plus has power for touring and passing (without downshifting). I know, I'd have to break open the checkbook for bike servicing etc. The V-Strom showed me I love riding a motorcycle. Now I'm trying to find one I want that fits me.

·
Registered
937 Posts
have you ever seen a Kawasaki Vulcan 500? a cruiser with a low seat height, low CG, and a 500cc ninja motor.

sit on everything you can. any motorcyclist will understand that you are looking for a bike is right for you.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
have you ever seen a Kawasaki Vulcan 500? a cruiser with a low seat height, low CG, and a 500cc ninja motor.

sit on everything you can. any motorcyclist will understand that you are looking for a bike is right for you.

Cheers

RLBranson
Just looked at a picture. Not a fan of the cruiser look, but I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No one can define the "best" bike for another person. I can say this, down the road a bit when I can no longer handle the height/weight of my Wee...I'm going straight to the SV because of it's size/weight/balance and most importantly: the Wee V-Twin motor. Based on too many bike purchases it wasn't until after all those purchases that I realized how important the motor underneath you really is.

Just me personally now...I went down that BMW route on a smaller GS and regretted it. I'll never own another parallel twin. The V-Twin, IMNSHO, is the far superior motor in every way. Again - that's my preference and YMMV. Which is to say...finding a bike that fits you is indeed important - but, I respectfully suggest, don't underestimate how that bike "feels" as you work through the gears. Wind managment and other issues can usually be overcome with a little research, but once you buy that engine...

Merry Christmas and best of luck.

Cheers.

Reactions: Nicad and RLBranson
61 - 80 of 110 Posts