StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having my 2017 DL650 for almost a year and putting 3000 miles on it, I have concluded that it is too top-heavy, too tall, and too heavy for me (5 ft 7" 50ish female newbie rider). I'm also just a little too small for it, having to reach for the handlebars and leaning forward instead of sitting upright. Wish I'd figured this out before I farkled the hell out of it but... I didn't.

So, any suggestions on what bikes I should look at? One fellow Stromtrooper raves about his Honda CB500X, so I will look at that. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
One assumes you've already installed the low seat and bar risers to bring the controls closer to you.

Reactions: America First

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I know of another trouper that changed to the Honda and he is happy with his decision.

It does feel lighter to ride.

·
Registered
571 Posts
BMW F 700 GS

I test rode a very low km (1700) 2015 a few weeks ago because my wife was interested in it. She also finds the Wee to top heavy and tall, she currently rides a 650 V-Star cruiser. The BMW was a good fit for her, lighter, lower with a lower C of G. It has some great features and an excellent instrument display and seemed to have enough power but I couldn't take it out on the highway as it wasn't insured at the time. We didn't buy it because the price was out of line for its age despite having very low mileage. It also had been dropped a few times with minor damage to the right side crash bars and turn lights. The guy selling it was the second owner and only put 200 km on it in two years while he was attempting to get his motorcycle licence. He couldn't pass the first stage of the driving exam (parking lot test) so lost interest. The worst part about this bike is it was neglected from lack of use. If the right used F 700 comes along my wife will likely get one.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
A guy at work, who parks near me, has a 2-3 YO CB500X.

Looks like a nice bike and appears much smaller and lighter and shorter than stock V-Stroms. In your situation, that's what I'd look at first.

Good luck, regardless.

:smile2:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Several bikes come to mind. Suzuki SV650 (Dry Wt ~365 lbs.), Yamaha FZ07 (Dry Wt ~360 lbs.). The biggest thing to consider sounds like ergonomics. Use the following web app to check how well you fit on most any bike out there. Click Here >>> Motorcycle Ergonomics It's a great program that lets you compare an contrast many different bikes. Example readouts are shown below. Good Luck!!! :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
the cb500x engine will be a little on the dull side compared to our vstrom engine.

I would take a look at lowering the vstrom. i've lowered mine .75(and I'm 5'5") via using the link and hadn't had any problem.

I won't be doing heavy duty dirt riding with the vstrom but mostly touring and some fireroad trails.

If I wanted to take into woods, I will hop on another bike (Yam Wr250r)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Several bikes come to mind. Suzuki SV650 (Dry Wt ~365 lbs.), Yamaha FZ07 (Dry Wt ~360 lbs.). The biggest thing to consider sounds like ergonomics. Use the following web app to check how well you fit on most any bike out there. Click Here >>> Motorcycle Ergonomics It's a great program that lets you compare an contrast many different bikes. Example readouts are shown below. Good Luck!!! :thumbup:
Whoah, very cool! Thanks so much.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I have a V2 and also a Versys X300 for me to use on our fire roads. It is a little lower and a lot lighter but still a great adventure bike. I weight 210 and it has no problem propelling me down the interstate at 75 mph.

My 5' 4" wife has no problem pushing it around the garage and driveway and riding it. She can even get it off the ground pretty easily. It is 385 lbs. There are a good number of female owners on our X300 forum.

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
That's a reasonable bike if you are not touring - bit more capable off pavement ...same seat height, lighter bike but less power and not as good fuel mileage due to the higher rpm needed.

You'd be fine with either ...there are more used CB500x out there.

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Ugh now there's a negative if there ever was one >:) FB :furious:

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
FB is awful (break it up >:)) but lots of knowledgeable folks on the group. :mod2_scooter:

Ugh now there's a negative if there ever was one >:) FB :furious:

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
New Kawasaki Z400 is worth a look. Peppy for a 400. I made the switch to a Honda NC700X 2 months ago. Love it! Weight is down low because the gas tank is under the seat & the cylinder head is almost horizontal. 3 things I noticed right away: Way more low-end torque than my Vstrom 650. Much more flickable since the center of gravity is down low. Also, if I were to drop the Honda I can easily pick it up. Those days are over with the Vstrom. I was 50 when I bought it new. 62 now & I can't pick it up when I drop it. So I went shopping on Cycletrader. There are some new leftover NC700X going cheap. Mine was $4997. Some are much less. Mine's a keeper. The Iron Giraffe will be sold soon.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts