StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’m looking at a number of bikes to replace my aging Triumph Tiger 955i. I love the Tiger motor and want something with similar low end grunt.

I’ve had a test ride on the 2018 Triumph Tiger 800 Low (I’m short!) - very nice, but more revvie than I’m used to (but goes like a rocket when you open the throttle at higher revs) so am looking at alternatives.

The 650 and 1,000 V-Stroms both look tremendous value for money. I’ve got a test ride on the 650 booked this weekend so I guess I’ll have a better idea of the relative merits by then, but wondered if anyone had made a similar jump. The 650 seems to be getting very well reviewed, but I’m a little concerned about the drop in cubes. Having said that, I know engine technology has moved on in the 13 years I’ve had the Tiger, so maybe it’s not something I need to worry about.

I’d be riding mostly solo, but with luggage and occasional weekend and longer rides with my beloved passenger. Pure road use, unless I take a wrong turning somewhere.

Any tips gratefully received ?

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bonneville T120?
I had a test ride on this and the T100. I liked them both, the T100 more than the T120, but my pillion didn’t like the flat seat - she prefers a stepped one so you can see what’s going on. Also, I’d need a screen at minimum to deal with the wind blast. Then there’s the question of adding luggage. I initially had myself set on the Bonnie, but glad we did the test rides, as we now realise we really want another adventure style bike.

She also preferred the Tiger over the Bonnie’s because it “looked meaner” ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Happy you got the 1k, i have a friend with a new 800, and i think going to the 650 would be a letdown, i have one, but if i had the choice, i'd would have gotten the 1k or the 800, i really like the triple, over the V, but in colombia, you get what you can get......when i move back north, it's going to be a tenere or a tiger. or if it's awhile before i can move,, might be a can-am,,,for when i'm 70....:jawdrop:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Tiger 800 was a beautiful machine, but just too revvy at lower speeds for me. I took the V-Strom 650 and 1000’s for a test ride. The 650 was way better than I imagined it would be, but the engine characteristics on the 1000 more closely matched those of my beloved old Tiger 955i.

Only had it a week so far, but it’s putting a huge grin on my face for the commute

Now to start adding goodies. Got the rack for the Givi topbox. New oiler to be added next I think. Scottoiler XSystem maybe? And possibly a new screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 6 of 6 Posts