StromTrooper banner

Thinking might pull the trigger on one of these . . .

3K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  teevee 
#1 ·
So - - been lurking/posting (mostly lurking) here for about two years knowing i'd eventually be buying a wee strom when I was actually going to be in the country for an extended period of time.

Anybody have any thoughts on these two? They're both like a three hour drive for me but i'm likely gonna go look at at least one of them Thursday.

2007 650 DL V-Strom Suzuki

2005 Suzuki VStrom DL-650

Basically it's 2007 with half with miles and less farkles ;
or 2005 with twice the miles a ton of farkles (cept the side cases are ugly as hell IMO)

#3 ·
yeah - - the only farkles on the '05 i really really want is the center stand and madstad bracket , ok maybe the heated grips as well . .

There is also the starting price:

2005 - 4,000
2007 - 4,850

Thinking I could end up on a final price of like 4200 for the 07 though, i've exchanged a few emails with that guy but we haven't talked price really though. He did say this about it though

Dear Jon,

Bought the bike new in June of 2007 and have enjoyed it. The bike was perfect for me just as it was and I have added the items I listed in the ad. Handles great and loved owning it. Have had the oil changed once a year at a local motorcycle shop. The same shop that replaced the tires but I have not kept the records. I do have the two riding instruction books which came with the motorcycle but no service manuals.

The tires were just replaced last year so they are almost brand new as I didn’t get much riding in last year. The mileage was shown on one of the pictures and it is a little over 15,000.

Yes we own the motorcycle outright and have the title in our possession.

I have purchased a Harley Davidson Motorcycle and so am selling this one. I am 65 and am ready for a slower place but the V Strom was a great riding bike.

Any other questions just let me know.

Thanks,

Gary

#6 ·
That's common in photos. The kill switch is on and/or the bike is in gear with the side stand down, a good parking procedure to prevent rolling off the stand.

#7 ·
Either looks great.

With reasonable maintenance, 32000 miles is nothing to a Strom.
With REALLY shabby maintenance, 10000 could be all it ever does.

I think they both look fine. If the cases work very well, you will stop
considering their appearance quite soon, in my opinion.

I am amused by the idea of selling the Strom because of reaching 65.
I bought my Wee at age 64, and I feel lots younger six years later,
so I think these machines incorporate some essence of the Fountain
of Youth in their makeup. I will let you know in twenty years or so,
when my hair grows back and these stupid wrinkles smooth out ...

Yeah, don't hold yer breath.
Keith

#8 ·
Get the 07; you'll get used to the cases and you'll love them.

I don't know what kind of sidecase rack is on the 05, but it seems to just hang drom the top with no bracing of any kind behind the fender; I wouldn't use that system.

#9 ·
Get the blue one! Always like the blue Stroms.

Personally, I would probably get the 07. It would suck to buy the bike farkled out, then decide you wanted different farkles than what the previous owner did. If you want to add any farkles yourself you should be able to pick them out. I bough my bike almost stock and enjoyed selecting and adding the farkles, although my wallet didn't.

#10 ·
Yeah I was leaning toward the '07 and getting my own farkles as well, in fact he's really the only one I've been communicating with.

Still not sure if work situation will allow me to go out there tomorrow.

Price dilemma:

My email:

Gary,

Well I'd like to come check her out. Hear it run, maybe take it around the block. Discuss that asking price in your ad . . . And it looks like I may end up having Thursday off of work actually, I should know early tomorrow if that's the case. If it is, does that work for you guys?

Jon
The response:

Jon,

Thursday works fine for me. I am not willing to come down on the price at all. Have had lots of inquires and feel the price is fair. Let me know if you are still interested.

Thanks,

Advertising 4,850, I figured it'd go like this. I say i can only pay 4,100, he says he can't do less than 4,700, and then we agree on 4300 to 4,500

But really the time and effort to find and get a hold of a V-strom for me right now is probably not worth the fight over three hundred dollars.

#20 ·
NADA doesn't relate well to vehicles with low volumes. $3k is way low for that bike, and if I was the seller, I wouldn't even respond to that offer. You've got to know the market, and the market is higher than that.

#14 ·
2007 Suzuki DL650K7 V-STROM - 645cc Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

For the 07, I would go offer him 3000 and go up from there.
3000 would have been a bit of a low starting point IMO, considering the 1500 in extras.

If you decide to wait, here's a site you might like to watch:

Craigslist search an entire state Vstrom on statewidelist
I use a site similar to this except 10X better and a better interface.
crazedlist.org : search craigslist like a madman

Anyway, I started to consider all the time,money and headaches I would have installing some of the farkles that the 2005 comes with if i were to buy the 2007 . . . and i re-decided on the 2005.

Then - - got a hold of the guy and he has someone who is also making a three hour drive to come look at it tomorrow, earlier than I would be able to make it there. So it may not even be an option soon. Sucks for me.:headbang:

The 2007 guy:2007 650 DL V-Strom Suzuki

after I sent him a very convincing email where I even provided links to newer/better vstroms for the same price he was asking, came down to 4,600.

Kind of want to get it and have the search be over, but probably will wait to see what comes around in the future.

#15 ·
[...]
Then - - got a hold of the guy and he has someone who is also making a three hour drive to come look at it tomorrow, earlier than I would be able to make it there. So it may not even be an option soon. Sucks for me.:headbang:[...]
Ah, artificial scarcity... It's the best trick in the salesman's bag; Ask Cialdini...
I wouldn't sweat it; that story was probably just made up to inflate the desirability of his bike; looks like it worked too.

#16 ·
It's POSSIBLE that was the case, but I doubt it. Even though I knew I wouldn't actually be able due to work, I said 'So if I were to get there at like 10am would I have first crack at it'.

And he said he had this arranged two days ago and really needed to let this guy come see it as well. Although that could all be part of his elaborate mental scheme i guess, lol.

Also, this people could very well be on this forum, following this thread, how odd would that be.

#17 ·
Update - - so both bikes involved in the start of this thread ; sold to other people.

BUT found another 2005 (red) that I should be picking up tomorrow.
-19K miles, three piece Givi, heated grips, new chain/sprocket, tool tube, hand gaurds, 12v outlet, highway pegs, crash bars + centerstand
$4,200

I'm pretty pumped about going to get it.

Seeing as how i've been bikeless for the last three years and seeing as how all i ever did to previous bikes is oil-change, brake pad change - - i'm probably going to have to start a thread where i can ask my noobie question of the week

#21 ·
Jon, where are you at, Bangor or Everett, or? See if you can make it to Rob's tech day in Enumclaw, and keep an eye out for local group rides.

#22 ·

Yep, it is pretty clean in fact. Think i may start looking at some 1"-up/1"-back bar risers, but other than that it has all the farkles i really would want.

Some huge side cases for long trips would be nice. Those givis (e21's i think they are?) are pretty tiny on the inside.

#23 ·
PTRIDER - work in Bremerton ; reside in Silverdale. Your question though somehow reminded me that I need to decide where to stick my base stickers. I want them to be as inconspicuous as possible.

I almost thought about sticking them on a scrap piece of metal and rigging up some sort of attachment using hose clamps or something like that so I could remove them, but then I decided being anonymous isn't worth all that.

Where is the thread on this Rob's tech day event ?

#28 ·
check the bottom of your seat. there are four or six rubber blocks that look just like that. doesn't really matter if the seat was on mars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.