StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after some serious thought, I'm thinking about swapping out my pretty farkled out Wee for an SV-1000. What I like are the looks, and the power. I've always liked the SV-650's, but the 1000 is obviously more powerful and also quite a bit less common. I like these atrributes a lot, plus I've seen some nice ones selling for a very reasonable price. I've loved my 07 Wee, but I'm going to be moving soon to be a military recruiter, and really won't be having the time to do much more than commuting and the very occasional weekend ride, and that's not doing the V-Strom its justice. I'm planning to do a trip from California to DC in July, but after that, I'm probably going to let'er go.
So, with this, is there any feedback for the SV's that you could hook me up with. If you've ridden the 650 and 1000 can you share the pro's/con's with each one?
Also, if there's anybody in the DC area that is interested in an 07 Wee with many extras, keep me in mind. it's going to be July that I'm back in the area, and it's looking for a good owner that can rack up the miles a lot more than i'm going to be able to. Shoot, after that ride that I do, I may be a little more reluctant, but as of now, I'm pretty serious about this swap.
Hook a brotha up with anything you all may know.
Thanks
Matt

·
Administrator
17,009 Posts
Go for it....life is too short!!!! Ride and own whatever makes you happy, or if the Wee is paid for just keep it and get an SV1000.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The SV1000 is a good bike, but nowhere near as nimble and easy to ride quick as the SV650.

Extra power is always fun to play with, but from a handling perspective, the SV650 is more fun IMO.

If I wanted a sportier, more powerful bike, the SV1K would not be on my personal short list.

There's a reason they are pretty inexpensive......what's good for a buyer today, may not be so good as a seller in the future....something to consider.

Are you stuck on getting another twin, or is it more the looks that attract you?

·
Registered
109 Posts
From my little bit of research (considered trading the Vee for an SV) they are rear tire eaters. Some owners claim as low as 4k for a tire but I didn't read what brand so take it for what it's worth. I love the look of a silver SV1000!

·
Registered
39 Posts
From my little bit of research (considered trading the Vee for an SV) they are rear tire eaters. Some owners claim as low as 4k for a tire but I didn't read what brand so take it for what it's worth. I love the look of a silver SV1000!
You don't ride a sportbike because you want your tires to last a long time. My TL1000S (Suzuki's V-twin before they made the SV1000) goes through a rear every 2500-3000 miles. Damn fun though.

I agree, if you can afford it, own both.

·
Premium Member
2,909 Posts
2003 sv1000

I sold my 2003 SV1000S to get my used 2008 Wee.........the SV got me my first speeding ticket in 32 yrs.......I figured I would get in trouble on it again soon or later......probably sooner. The torque is very additive........I added pipes, 1-down front sprocket, K&N, modded air breather....I nicknamed it "The Beast". Way much funner to ride than my 2000 ZRX1100 (which I still have, and will keep). I only had my SV about a year. Traded even for a 2006 KLR650 that I had. At 55 yrs old, I figured I didn't need a sport-bike (the ZRX is considered a Retro-bike, not sport).......wanted to try the Adventure-touring thing before I get too old to ride. I loved the SV1000......had 6k miles on her, sold for around $3750 after I re-installed the stock exhaust......there are numerous SV forums with a wealth of knowledge. :hurray:

·
Registered
61 Posts
sv 1000

i just sold my sv1000 naked and bought a wee.
it was in perfect shape and after trying to sell it three times on ebay i only got $3500.00. it was a fun bike but it wasn't great around town. my biggest problem with it was it didn't like to run below 4000 rpm. it was rough, shuddered, and was to lumpy. a techlusion helped a bit with the stumbles. it ate rear tires but all my bikes have. also they are not comfortable. the stock seat is the worst, handle bars and foot pegs are nearly the same as a gxsr. i do miss the power.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YUP YUP, Chaps, we're on the same page! I saw a listing for a naked 04 SV-1000 with less than 4,000 miles, single owner who is 58!!! It was a sweet looking machine, and a sweet deal.

As much as I love my Wee, if I'm going to switch up, I'll try something new. I haven't had a sport bike for some time now, and think I'd like to go back, but because of some back and knee pains, and as much as I'd love one, I'm staying away from super sports. The SV still is upright-ish. A Vee would just be a step up (size wise) to what I'm on now. I'm not going to do much touring while I'm recruiting, so... I just want something to zip around one for the little amount of time that I'll be able to ride.

It may not be the baddest machine on the streets, but I think it'll work just fine with me. Also love those TL's... Oh yes... love those TL's

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
YUP YUP, Chaps, we're on the same page! I saw a listing for a naked 04 SV-1000 with less than 4,000 miles, single owner who is 58!!! It was a sweet looking machine, and a sweet deal.
Go for it.

With the right pipes, you might be able to convince some people it's a wet-clutch Ducati.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bigger bike = higherr running costs, insurance, and yes an appetite for tyres (my Blackbird used to go through rears every ~3000km, and fronts only slightly less often).

Bigger bike = more power = WAYYYYY MORE FUN!! Although, not if all you do is commute :thumbdown:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you considered a Bandit 1250S?

That's another one that's tempted me once or twice, and one of my local forums it seems to almost have as much of a cult following as the V-Stroms.

If (when) they bring the Bandit GSX1250SEA w/ABS and a faring to the US market, it will likely replace my Wee.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That GSX1250SEA is a fine lookin machine. I really like the PLX cases straight off the showroom floor. Think I'd be standing in line right behind you. I've ridden bandits, and they're an option. another is the Honda 919. Came about half an inch from buying one back when I got my Wee. Have a frined that built a 919 into a WICKED street fighter. with all these options, though, something about that SV really strikes me fancy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The place I picked my gently-used K8 from had a 919 sitting on the floor. It felt nice to sit on, but the lack of aftermarket accessories and discontinued nature of the beast put me off of it.

That and they were asking $1200 more for it than my Wee.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Typical tire life of a high performance sport bike rear: 2,000 to 2,500. That's without too many track days.....

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had a 919 before my Wee. That is a pretty similar bike to the naked SV1000. My Brother in law has a SV1000s which is the version with the fairing, clipons and higher pegs.

If you go from a wee to a SV1000 you will be losing the smooth ride and some comfort. The naked SV is decently comfortable but not like the strom. The S version is much less comfortable.

One think I like about the wee for commuting is having the luggage rack to bungee stuff to. It allows me to ride more.

The SV will be more flickable, have more power and more sensitive brakes. It will also tend to get you into more trouble because it's tempting to ride faster.

For my purposes, the wee is a much better bike. But, if your priorities are different the SV could be a better fit. (You should also keep your eyes open for a 919, they are good bikes. Check out Wristtwisters.com for 919 info.)

For a SV1000 or a 919 you want to make sure you get a good deal because they aren't as easy to sell as your wee. That works in your favor now but against you if you decide to change again.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If'n I wanted a big v-twin Japanese sporty bike, I'd take a look for a Honda VTR1000 (Firestorm?). Better looking and better running than the SV1000. Not sure what year they last made them, though. Personally, if I was looking in this class of bike I'd be looking for a 3 or 4 cylinder bike, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts