StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The majority of my riding is pavement, with the exception of some occasional forest service connectors. Although I realize this bike is meant to be a dual sport, I feel as though I should be using a tire that much better suits the style of the overwhelming majority of my riding habits.

Anybody out there going with Michelin Pilot Road 4's?

I searched and read the limited threads on this forum, but I'm just looking for a little more feedback before pulling the trigger. Thanks in advance!

-Joe

·
Registered
658 Posts
Do it. Best tires I have ever put on a motorcycle. Great in the wet, grippy, yet don't wear out fast.

The set I have, I put on last July. Rode from Ottawa ON to Eureka CA via the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, and Crater Lake. Up the Pacific coast to Vancouver Island, then across the Canadian Prairies back to Ottawa. Then my regular 400km round trip weekly commute in late Aug and Sept into Oct, a trip to the Adirondaks, and commute again May-June. That's probably more than 20,000km. I'm just starting to think about replacing the rear as the tread is into the wear bars in the center. I think I'll get a couple more weeks of commuting, and one more Adirondak trip before replacing the rear. The front has lots of tread left, isn't cupped, and doesn't need replacing yet. Am I finally going to get the 2:1 rear to front that people talk about with tires?

After years of getting 5,000 really nice kms out of a set of Bridgestones, followed by another 10,000km wondering why I keep buying crappy tires, the PR4's are worth it.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
I put a set of Pilot Road 3 Trails on the Glee about two years ago. Got 8500 miles out of the rear, the front has over 13,000 miles and looks like it has a LOT of miles left. Yes, they are good in the rain. Not the best tires I have had at steep lean angles, don't slip but have a bit of squirm to them. Overall really good performance. I put a new rear Pilot Road 4 trail on when the 3 version wore out. At around 4500 miles on it, I don't think it will give as many miles as the 3 version did! Almost the same riding as the 3 got. Which is a lot of highway droning.

At around $330 a set I don't think they are worth it. The Trail version has a softer center than the regular street version Pilot Roads do. Just don't get enough miles to justify the cost. I have run the Bridgestone BT 023 on DL 650's before and they never slipped in wet conditions either. They are better at steep lean angles. Rear tire is about a 7500 mile tire, front a 12K or better tire. For under $220.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Yes, do it. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I don't yet have all that many miles on mine (7K on front and 4K on rear) but both are in very good condition and have performed just fine on highways wet and dry. I'll likely buy another set when these expire.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just replaced my Battlewings with Bridgestone's new T-30 touring tires. Must say I am pleased by the smooth, quiet ride and confident handling. One thing I will look into next time is maybe a slightly larger size say a 160/70 or 160/60 depending on the circumference. The 150/70r 17 just looks a little small and there is plenty of room for a wider tire.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have the 3s on, love them, understand the 4s wear better.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just replaced my Battlewings with Bridgestone's new T-30 touring tires. Must say I am pleased by the smooth, quiet ride and confident handling. One thing I will look into next time is maybe a slightly larger size say a 160/70 or 160/60 depending on the circumference. The 150/70r 17 just looks a little small and there is plenty of room for a wider tire.
Wider tires corner slower.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Be advised; as i understand it, most 160/60s are for rims 4.5" wide. The DL is 4" wide so the tire bead will be pinched slightly.

K

·
Registered
329 Posts
Don't buy tires by the wallet. Buy the best tire that fits your riding style. The PR3 on our Wee2 and Wee give it the confidence feel to drag the foot-peg scrapers. If you really are looking for the best sports tire feel try the Avon Storm's, excellent grip in all conditions.
Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America » Storm 3D X-M

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I put PR4's on my Wee so I'd be forced to avoid dirt until I replaced them. (Managed to dislocate a shoulder, needs healing time and muscling a DL on dirt around is *not* 'resting it').

Very impressed, a DL with those and ABS in the rain is very hard to catch.

Pete

·
Registered
381 Posts
I run a set of Anakee 3's and have to admit they are grippy and accurate if that is a description. Turn in requires more effort than stock tires and they track great over many road variances.

On another forum a user "balders1450" posed a question to Michelin about the similarities between the two models; this was their answer:

"We haven't done a mileage comparison as yet with the Pilot Road 3 and the Anakee 3. The Anakee 3 lasted 25% longer than the Tourance EXP when tested independently by DEKRA in 2012 in your tyre sizes. (Results may vary depending on motorcycle type and operating conditions).

The Pilot Road 3 will offer better wet weather performance, and will be more comfortable.

The Anakee 3 will offer better dry grip, and handling. Bike magazine rated it as a offering a big improvement over regular adventure bike tyres.

The Pilot Road 3 is designed for road use only, the Anakee 3 is designed with light off roading as an option, fire roads, gravel trails etc, it's not aggressive enough for muddy full off road conditions.

The compounds and tread designs are completely different."

-Source: Tiger Explorer Forums

In my own experience on dry road the Anakee thread is remarkable in its grip performance. On wet road it is a significant improvement over stock tread but according to Michelin, not as good as the Pilot series.

Off road the Anakees perform well. I'm not an avid off-roader but I do take the opportunity from time to time. In this environment I find the Anakees to also be a substantialy significant improvement over stock treads. They are fond of grass, gravel, and dirt. I'm most impressed with their handling in grass. They are not really interested in breaking free; throttle control prohibitive.

Top speed measured without paniers is 121MPH GPS, they track smoothly and offer very good response and feedback.

While I have no experience with the Pilot series I am familiar with Michelin, their products, and I have come to determine that the companies focus on moto tires is superlative and I'm certain the Pilots would be equally impressive at least for the road. I've had less than stellar experience with their cage treads.

Here's an interesting video... good luck in your decision.

MICHELIN ANAKEE III: Better Stability For Better Safety

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you very much everyone for the replies. I just purchased the Pilot Road 4. I have the Anakee 3 on currently, so I will comment later on the differences. Swamper, thank you for the advice on the Avons, I may go with those next.

-joe

·
Registered
329 Posts
We just put on sets of Metzeler Tourance, (13 Wee2 and 15 Vee2) for our Alaska trip. Went with them because we wanted a little more of a off road type tire and a need for high mileage. Will be putting on over 7,500 miles on the trip and just couldn't get enough info on the TKC 70's. The Metzeler's feel OK so far. I got 8,000 miles on the PR3's so they needed replacement anyway. I have the Avons on my BMW R1150R and they are really good for that bike. I'll be changing to the Avon's when we get home.

·
Registered
779 Posts
If you're pretty much street only, the PR4s are unbeatable. I was on my 2nd set (first set ran about 11k miles before I reached the wear bars). They stick like glue in the corners, and no other tire I've ever used can touch them in the wet...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Robdek-Looking forward to a report on how you like the PR4 Trails. I bought kitesurfers' PR4 Trail front tire and getting the rear one soon. A few years ago I had a BMW F800st and installed a set of PR3s' which are a very nice tire. They were smooth, great wet traction and wore very well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts