StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking that 1" risers would be nice. Maybe back a hair too, dunno. Are they just an install and ride or are the complications, such as buying extension for the lines. My bike is still brand new, so I dont want any extension that may in turn void my warranty with items like brakes, ABS, etc.
Thanks.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Someone who's done the install can probaby confirm this for you; I haven't and I don't remember what I've read. You may want to search the forum if you're in a hurry.

I have some 1" up and 1" back risers on my bmw (k100), and I don't like them. I was thinking of trying them out on my vstrom if the bars are the same diameter.

I wouldn't worry about the warranty; different brake lines won't affect the warranty on anything but the brake lines, and it's not as if Suzuki would honour the warranty anyways.

A comment about the bar ups and back:
As I've said, I have them on my BMW, and I absolutely hate what they did to the feel of the steering. It got very weird at low speeds, and less weird but still different at high speeds. The handlebars feel disconnected from the front wheel, as if they weren't inline with the fork tubes anymore (which they aren't anymore since the risers addition of course).

I highly recommend you look for bars with a different bend rather than using risers.

I don't really plan on using them on my wee, but am just curious to see if they'll have the same effect and if I like them higher up (in which case I'll buy different bars).

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I have been thinking that 1" risers would be nice. Maybe back a hair too, dunno. Are they just an install and ride or are the complications, such as buying extension for the lines. My bike is still brand new, so I dont want any extension that may in turn void my warranty with items like brakes, ABS, etc.
Thanks.
1" should just be an install and ride for an ABS bike. You may want to move/adjust cables a smidge. As the duck said, you may not like the feel, but give it a 1000km to be sure. 1up&1back should keep the same geometry/feel.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Took my risers off

they produced a stupid feel in the front to me - and I did not like having extra pull on the cables and hose

·
Registered
79 Posts
Been riding now for over a month....Love it, BUT

Why does my left elbow hurt when I'm riding? Actually doesn't hurt until I take my hand off the grip. Whats up with that? Right elbow is fine. Do u think I need risers? My elbows are slightly higher than my hands when I'm in a riding position. Besides the left inside elbow pain I'm lovin the bike. My first street bike, Im 41 and I hadn't ridden a bike since I was 12. Dropped it once coming out of my driveway starting off in 2nd gear....LOL! Hardly any damage and I won't do that again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I haven't felt the need to install risers on the Wee, but on my last bike I got a pinched muscle feel between the shoulder blades. The risers/pullback cured it.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have two inch Rox risers. I had to get longer Brake cables -- which I did not mind as the new braided cables make the brakes work better (braided steel vs flexing oem lines). I also changed bars which took away the wrist and elbow discomfit some have mentioned.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Why does my left elbow hurt when I'm riding? Actually doesn't hurt until I take my hand off the grip. Whats up with that? Right elbow is fine. Do u think I need risers?
Usually pain comes from cramping on the bike. Is there a chance you are gripping the left grip severely for some period of time? I find I have to consciously lighten my grip under unusual conditions. Loose gravel, gusty winds, severe traffic. It could also be just the angle of the grips. Try rotating the bars to see if it makes any diff. You can purchase aftermarket bars with better/different ergonomics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
offset risers

I got a set of Barback 1" up and back offset risers for my Wee from Twisted Throttle. I did have to loosen the brake hose clamp on the lower fork brace. This will give you enough play in the brake hose to bring the bars back. The cables will be fine. They were a definite improvement for me. I didn't feel they changed the handling in any way.
Mike

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I should, perhaps, add that I used +2 inch Spiegler brake lines from Murph for the Rox risers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
When I bought my bike a year and a half ago, the previous owner had put a set of pro-tapers on. I liked the bars, but being somewhat short, I was sitting with more of a forward lean than I liked. I put a set of Rox Risers so I could bring them up and back and now the positioning is very comfortable. I have not noticed any detrimental feeling in handling, slow or fast. I like the Rox ones because it can be adjusted many different ways.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you go up and back you will likely need to put a longer brake line in, if you are just going up and not back the stock lines should be ok. I fail to see how a brake line extension would void a warrantee. This bike is virtually bulletproof if you follow the maint schedule... with exception to the stator and regulator... remember the brake line you would be replacing just goes to the front end and tees off to both calipers... extending that one line at most will cost you a brake bleed...most dealers I would not even bank on them noticing such a small thing and trying to tag a brake line extension to anything faulty with ABS... maybe someone has had this happen but to for me that is highly unlikely

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Nothing will "void the warranty." If you fail to follow the maintenance schedule or do something else to the bike and those actions cause damage, the warranty will not pay for the damage you caused. Anything you didn't screw up is still covered by the warranty.

Bar risers or a replacement bar may only affect the warranty on the bar clamps or other parts messed with by a non-Suzuki repair person. Longer brake hose and cable extensions will only affect the parts they touch if damage was done by the new parts or the installer.

Up & back risers work find for me and the handling hasn't changed.

Are the Rox risers the only ones that will work with a Scotts steering damper?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ok, I found some ROX SPEED FX 2" risers. They are adjustable and look like they would be exactly what I am looking for to get the exact position. They claim that they work with stock lines. Does anyone have experience with these?

Also, on my ride the other day (about 150 miles total) I noticed that my throttle hand would constantly buzz to sleep. My left hand was perfect with no vibration or issues. Good solutions for eliminating some of this vibration? Heavier bar ends? What do the stock weigh, and what are good heavier replacements?

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Rox Risers I used look essentially like these:

A buddy of mine put them on his vstrom too (both of ours are 650's). Neither of us needed any cable extension. It caused no binding at all. Being a bit paranoid, I did remove the lines from some of the ties and such that keep them in place. I wanted to make sure that I had plenty of clearance. I love having them and wouldn't to back to riding without them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts