StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new here obviously, but I've been ridding on the dirt for my whole life and even held a job for a year taking photos and ridding for Transworld.

However never made a transition to asphalt. I haven't touched dirt in a few years since I moved to northern California and am in a position to give it a go. I'll be doing the training class in a week and I'm fairly set on the 2012 Vee as my first bike.

I'm a big guy 6'5 260lbs and want a bike that's going to allow me and the wife to ride up to Yosemite during the summers without any problems (after a little practice of course). I felt like the Vee was a good compromise between size and power for me as a first bike. Just felt I might feel like I needed that extra umph in a Wee and wouldn't be happy.

I just wanted to introduce myself and thanks for all the great posts so far I've read way more then I thought I would have on the bike.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Go with the wee.
Neither strom makes a good first bike, but if you must get one, then make it the 650.
If you've been riding dirt your whole life, you know a 60 hp bike is plenty enough...
Get a 2012+ wee though; it's a lot better than the other two bikes.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Take both bikes for a spin and see which one you like.

The extra 30 HP that the Vee has might be very nice for you considering the two up traveling that you will be doing.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Either bike will work fine, and I actually agree with Duck about something. Get the 2012 DL650.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Vee more fun especially for a big guy, better toy

Wee Gas mileage, better commuter

The 2012 Glee does not change the above

However if this is your first bike on the street in a while the normal caveats apply. Spend a year on an old WEE
Take the money saved and ATTGATT there is almost even money you will dump it once in the first 3000 miles.

A VEE is a super bike and YOU DO NOT have the reactions yet to safely pilot one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have owned both a Vee and a Wee.
For your size, and riding two up, I'd recommend the Vee. Mine was a GREAT bike, and, based on that, I feel they get a bad rap around here. Don't believe the hype about the Wee being soooooo much better than the 650. DL1000s are very good bikes. However, ABS is important to some, so consider that it is only available on the Wee.
I don't agree with some who say the 2012 650 is better than the 2011 and earlier units, but that is a decision you'll have to make, if you look at 650s.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision. Ride safely.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Your size and two up, Vee all the way. I ride mine two up a lot , I am 200 pounds. I would not want any less power.
Just plan on at the very least putting a heaver rear spring. Brake upgrade is also a good idea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I think from what I can read so far the only real difference between the two on a basic level is the power plant and about 50lbs of curb weight.

I'm actually in pretty decent shape and have really long legs so I think the only thing the weight will do is make maneuvering slightly more difficult.

I learned at a young age to respect the throttle so I don't think the beefier motor will be a problem to start and I'll be happier in the long run.

I'm going in knowing I won't be turning like a sport-bike and that this thing is a little top heavy and most of my riding at the start will be some fairly UN-populated roads (there are plenty where I live. The only thing I'm thinking of doing tho is getting some crash-bars and the storage boxes down the line once I'm ready to start touring with the wife.

I still have a few weeks after the safety class I'll start shopping around dealerships in the area to try and get the lowest price and not mention the 0% offer until the credit is ran.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm lighter and shorter than you and I don't find the Vee to be top heavy, or even heavy at all. In fact, it's lighter than my GSX 650F was (and gets the same mileage).

I spent years planning on buying a Wee until the day I actually test rode the Vee. I'll probably buy a Wee next but if the Vee remains reliable I expect to own it for a long time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Norcal,

My two cents.

We have one of each in the garage, both '09's. On the road I like the Vee for sure. Around town and off road the Wee for sure. The Wee is a very smooth friendly package if you are in the stop and go mode. The Vee is a great cruiser without buzzing RPM. Both are very capable bikes worthy of any trip. You just need to sort out where you want to make your compromises. Two up on the road I would go Vee.

If you're riding off road much, I'd rather be picking up the Wee than the Vee (assuming you will eat it occasionally). They are both heavy, but to me the Vee feels like a bazillion pounds when it is on it's side. It has only been there once at next to 0 mph in marble gravel, but damn it was heavy to get back up. Probably a technique issue.
Again, if you are off road, the final drive ratio on the Vee needs help. With stock sprocket in first gear it is very sensitive to throttle. The Wee is much more forgiving and easier to ride. Reportedly this can be improved with sprocket change, but living in California with long freeway rides to almost anywhere, the overdrive is really nice and I haven't changed it.

That's all I have. They are very different bikes but you will enjoy either one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
OK you are 6'5 260lbs and also plan on riding two up. I'd go for the vee for obvious reasons but even more important then the choice of a wee or vee is that you get the suspension set up for your weight + you pillion's weight!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am 6"5, 220 pds and randomly ride two up with my wife when she is not riding her bike and my 2011 Wee does great. Others say the big difference is there is less shifting with the Vee but either way it's a Great bike and depends on the amount of time you will be riding two up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts