StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a 2007 V-strom 1k. Way back in 2008. I really liked the bike but fell victim to the BMW kool-aid. Well that didn't work out so well and I went to a Kawasaki Concours 1400. Really enjoyed that bike. Still have it. But I am getting bored with it, and thinking about going back to a newer V or Wee.

I also have a 2012 HD electraglide police model that I really enjoy for longer trips and 2up riding. I have always followed the rule of bigger is better. Do you think the wee is ok for a fat ass like myself (250lbs), or should I wait till spring for the 1k.

Looks like there is some differences in the two besides displacement.

Also considering the Super Tenere and the Triumph Tigers. Any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
The new 1000 sounds pretty good on paper. You have already owned the 1000 this supposedly ups the ante. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I Have a c14 and a few others. I can't imagine you wouldn't find the wee underwhelming. It's fun on very twisty road and exploring dirt road but otherwise I can't see anything exciting about it.
But I admit I like power too.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I had a 2007 V-strom 1k.
fell victim to the BMW kool-aid.
went to a Kawasaki Concours 1400.
also have a 2012 HD electraglide.

I have always followed the rule of bigger is better.
Your history is, in a word, horsepower.

I'd suggest that you test ride a DL650, if and where possible. This will give you a good idea of the bike's character, and whether or not it will gel with your expectations. My guess is that you'll be underwhelmed. Only you can make the final determination here. Good luck!

·
Administrator
13,731 Posts
... Do you think the wee is ok for a fat ass like myself (250lbs), or should I wait till spring for the 1k.
This summer I mainly weighed a bit over 250, since I got my 2006 DL650 I have weighed anything from 220 to 255 and have done a fair amount of two up riding on top of that. The 650 has no issue handling it.

It really depends on what is important to you... If your definition of "excitement" is limited to having lots of power then certainly a 650 isn't going to do it for you. If on the other hand you decide to exploit the measely abilities of the little 650 you might find there is a lot of excitement in the riding of it.

Apart from power, I think the Vee2 is a great looking bike and it sounds like it will have wonderful abilities. Perhaps in a couple of years when my 2012 DL650 is up over 100,000 miles I'll take a hard look at it.

..Tom

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Frankly this YEAR long roll out is....

Boring
Scary
Annoying

I've have mentally gone from, wetting the appetite to are they still fixing a major F'Up.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Based on reviews it looks like Suzuki has built the new Vee to a higher spec and distanced it from the Wee. The suspension is upgraded :hurray:, they brought the weight down :hurray:, added drive modes, and maybe fixed the fueling that people have complained about. Before, about the only advantage to the Vee was power, a slightly better fork, and chrome rings around the tach and speedo, everything else was pretty much the same, plus a few negatives. I get the feeling the Vee is now truly a better bike than the Wee.

If possible, test rides are always the best thing. I test rode the Tenere and found it heavy and cumbersome, I was disappointed since it fit me perfectly in the showroom. I've ridden the older Tigers, the 1050 and 955, and really liked them a lot.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Frankly this YEAR long roll out is....

Boring
Scary
Annoying

I've have mentally gone from, wetting the appetite to are they still fixing a major F'Up.
I felt that same way about the Yam Super-T. I got all excited when I sat on one at the m/c show about 4 years ago. Then I waited. And waited. The rollout at the dealers was "buy one and we'll get one in for you" -- special order only. It wasn't included in Yam demo rides. After two years of waiting to actually see one on the street, I bought a wee.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I rode a super t, loved it but it was just too much money for me. Really comfy and plenty of power. But that was just a test ride.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am selling my DL650 ABS because of lacking the fun thing , it's not bad but I know it could be sooooo much better , the dl650 is a good beginner bike .

Someday I may come back to the 650 when I think I have had enough fun .

For now , I am looking for a funner machine , feel like I wasted my time on a 650 , although it was not so bad , and so on

Kidd

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Besides my wife and family, my '11Wee is the next thing near and dear to my heart. I have never gotten off of my Wee without a smile on my face. I am blessed to live in the Adirondacks of New York State, with great twisties in amazing settings. I have recently researched a number of other bikes, but come back to the Vstrom when all is considered.

Still wanting some extra spice and something new, the VeeII is MY choice. It appears that Suzuki has made, as another Vstrommer so accurately stated, the Wee on steroids. With the 2014 VeeII weighing in at just about 500 pounds fully wet, I know I will be able to ride a 100 h.p. cycle that is nimble and can work the roads I love to ride.Seeing the VeeII up close and in person at the New York I.M.S. only confirmed my thoughts.:hurray:

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
The new Vee does look like a winner. I'd love to test ride one if there's a dealership nearby that will allow it, but for now though I'm really content with my Wee. I always ride one up and I'm 180 lbs. so it has enough power for me (not that I would turn down more HP) and I personally think the fun factor is pretty high. About the only time I wish I was on something different is when I'm trying to cover some long miles on the superslab at 80mph.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I am selling my DL650 ABS because of lacking the fun thing , it's not bad but I know it could be sooooo much better , the dl650 is a good beginner bike .

For now , I am looking for a funner machine , feel like I wasted my time on a 650 , although it was not so bad , and so on

Kidd
You of course realize you will be tracked down and lynched by the dl65 Anti-Defamation League.:green_lol::biggrinjester:
But I know what you mean, if I only had the 650 as an only bike I'd be looking for something else mighty quick.

·
Registered
899 Posts

Intruder alert. This one has not been assimilated. You must join the collective. Resistance is futile.

-- 7 of 99999

1 - 15 of 15 Posts