StromTrooper banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
We have both the Honda CB500X and V-Strom 650. For a little background, I have been riding more years than I want to mention and have owned 50+ bikes of all different types and sizes. We have 8 motorcycles currently.
My two favorites that I have owned are the Honda VF500F Interceptor (1985) and my V-Strom 650 (2008). I had been interested in the CB500X for a long time and had been trying to convince my wife that she may want to replace her V-Strom 650 with it due to size and weight.

We got a smoking deal on a leftover CB500X for her and she eventually decided to sell the Strom. I really like the Honda and feel they are fairly evenly matched even though Suzuki has more power, it weighs a bit more. The difference for me is comfort and the Suzuki edges out the smaller Honda by a bit. Longer wheelbase and a little more room for luggage fits my needs just a little better, but the Honda is in the hunt. If you are looking for more travel oriented bike, the Suzuki is a strong contender but it isn't leaps and bounds more performance oriented. Honda really did a good job with the 500.

If you go with the 650, I highly recommend the footpeg lowering kit from Adventuretech to relax the knee. Makes a comfortable bike a little better. It is the first bike that I have owned that I would have considered an Iron Butt ride on and did so in 2018. It is a good mile muncher.

·
Vendor
4,715 Posts
My wife and I did 1150 miles in a day on my 2005 DL650, but it was more about the lack of options for stopping than a planned ride. Not much between salt lake City and Boise.

Also see my avatar. We pulled a trailer from Eastern WA to Southern CA and back for a western V-Strom gathering. No problem at all.

The more recent bikes get better gas millage and make better power, but any DL650 will be a good bike. As above, with our peg and control lowering kit it is even more comfortable. And it is one of the most comfortable bikes out there.

The CB500 is a great bike and lots of fun, but the DL650 is better on the highway for most riders.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Trial & error…

I’m OCD, belabor my research before a purchase and enjoy doing so. Took my time and purchased a new 2012 Wee. Copper colored. NICE bike but tip-toe ergonomics + top heavy took it’s toll and I VERY reluctantly let it go.

Eventually got to an ABS 500X. MUCH better ergonomics and weight/balance. Truly agile. A joy to handle. Pelican bags, etc, looked really nice. Except – I hate high rpms. Others don’t – I get it – so don’t shoot the messenger. Bike did everything I asked – competently – except for wanting a bike that rode a bit more relaxed. It wore on me every time I rode it. (Damn!!) YMMV. Probably won’t bother you at all. Compact, totally capable and a ton of fun.

So I moved up to a BMW 750 GS for more power. Oops, wrong turn. Again, chosen carefully, at 73, this was to have been my 5+ year bike.

Now what?? Back to the drawing board. So much to appreciate about my ’12 Wee and the 2019 ergonomics were much more acceptable, not to mention all the improvements starting in 2017. Back to a V-Twin, I couldn’t be happier with my AT. Yeah, the top heaviness can catch you out during a moment of inattention but, Lord, this bike does so many things in a grand way. Currently averaging 60 mpg. The whole package in bright red, heated grips, tank bag, top box, Madstad, etc., all make me grin. I went up on the front to a 16 and time on the road with this bike – 5 mph to 80 mph - is so rewarding.

No one can really choose a bike for someone else – and shouldn’t – but the Wee is worth a serious look and test ride. There are bigger bikes with more squirt but the fun will be there every time you climb on board a Wee and it won’t grow old on you too soon. It’s the exact opposite.

Like I said, it took me awhile. Bucket list trip coming up, Spring 2020.

My $.02. Folks here are right on the mark with their advice. Best of luck with your decision.

Cheers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Everyone has bought a bike that's wrong for them at least once.
Common advice is to test ride but I find that most bikes I test ride I love. It's only living with them for a while you realise you may well have stuffed up.
I just don't ride any other bikes anymore as I can't control my bike envy.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts