StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating on buying a 2011 because my 2006 recently passed away. There's a thread in the General discussion, but I'm looking for less stateside experiences and more Canadian - even Ontario or GTA based preferably.

I wouldn't be doing a trade in, just buying a stock leftover off the floor. I still have my Givi bags and crash bars and stuff, so I would likely transfer all those goodies over - and there's lots.

I've read many horror stories about buying from Suzuki of Newmarket (service, not sales), though their prices seem to be cheap(est).

I've never bought a vehicle new in my life, so it would be a first for me in dealing with dealerships and all the ancillary fees that go with it.

Any advice is always appreciated as I'm wondering about pricing, negotiating points etc.

Cheers

·
Administrator
13,679 Posts
I bought my 06 from Dan at Newmarket and will be picking up another bike from him shortly. I bought based on a recommendation from a very happy co-worker that had bought a couple of bikes from him and had several friends do the same. I have also had a few friends of mine buy from them who also seemed happy with them.

They are a volume dealer that has very low prices and the sales and service experience reflect that. I have heard lots of horror stories from people on the forums but have never had any issues. My bike was only in for service there twice (in 203,000 km) and they exceeded my expectations. I deal with Dave upstairs in accessories and get great treatment from him whenever I buy parts or accessories.

..Tom

·
Registered
518 Posts
Brampton Powersports has 2011 V-Stroms for $6999. That includes everything but tax and plate. I bought my Burgman 400 and 2010 Strom from Suzuki of Brampton. They and Honda of Brampton's motorcycle departments were combined, Yamaha was added, and it became Brampton Powersports. I've had good service from Suzuki of Brampton, and the couple of times I've dealt with Brampton Powersports have seemed OK. Another high volume, low cost dealer.:thumbup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
What happened?

Sorry to hear you lost your strom! Was it a major mechanical issue or some kind of accident? I've been thinking about buying something newer as well just to upgrade to ABS. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback about Newmarket Tom - any idea on their prices for a 2011?

I'll pop by Brampton one of these days and see what they have left - $7k is around the price I was looking for.

As for my bike - just after I left home at 6:30am, a bunch of cars suddenly braked in front of me and I had to slam my brakes... cold tires + cold pavement = slide to a stop. Wasn't going too fast, but fast enough that it is written off with all the little plastics damage and so forth. I managed to pick up the bike and drop it on the other side, which probably made things worse. It has around 80k on it, so I figured instead of buying back from the insurance company, I might as well fork over a few extra $, keep my accessories and start with a new 2011. And you're right the ABS is a good thing.

I hope some nice colours are left.

·
Administrator
13,679 Posts
Juan,

I'm glad you are all right!

I don't know the prices of their left over 2011 models (although strangely I know what a 2012 would cost.) Give Dan a call and tell him I referred you (he doesn't give bird dogs as far as I know.)

..Tom

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a similar experience to Tom prices at Newmarket were the lowest around in 2010 when I bought mine buying the bike was a breeze & I didnt have to haggle for a deal. Service was a little sluggish later but not a nightmare just on the slow side which I was ready for so not a problem.
The shop upstairs is always a good experience & regularly have sales with lots of useful advice, overall going on the you get what you pay for theory they get a 9.5 out of ten from me

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Name the new one "Phoenix".

... start with a new 2011. ...
I am sorry that you had a "good" landing, and I hope your future landings are "excellent".

As I understand things, a good landing is one that you walk away from,
while an excellent landing permits reuse of the aircraft ... er, motorcycle.

I hope to see you on the road this summer.
Spring is a different story, and still a mystery.

Keith

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am debating on buying a 2011 because my 2006 recently passed away. There's a thread in the General discussion, but I'm looking for less stateside experiences and more Canadian - even Ontario or GTA based preferably.

I've never bought a vehicle new in my life, so it would be a first for me in dealing with dealerships and all the ancillary fees that go with it.

Cheers
Though it's far for you (2 hours from Ottawa, so OK for me), I was going to recommend buying in Quebec. I got a very good deal in early 2010 on a 2009. But a quick check for Motos at the Quebec site lesPacs shows only a few new 2011 dl650, and for $8100 and more. Not a good deal any more.

Almost like you, but in over 40 years of motorcycle and car ownership, I have only bought new twice: 1976 yellow Honda Civic CVCC and 2009 DL650A. Both great buys, but I plan on keeping the bike much longer than I had the car (two engine and one transmission rebuilds (on warranty), rust in three years(not on warranty), brakes and wheel bearings short lived (also not), etc for the car- though I liked driving it - but no problems with the Wee (touch wood)).

I found dealing with the dealership an easy thing. They knew what they were doing, and I felt that they were almost as keen as I was. They did try to upsell me extra warranties and insurance (replacement of parts only with new in case of accident, that sort of thing) which would have increased my costs more than my peace of mind. I declined. Watch out for that. Still, I'd now rate dealers above politicians. I hope your experience is as positive.

Too bad about the write-off on your bike. It was was looking a bit used and rough last year when I saw it, such that an extra scratch wouldn't be a bother, but still very serviceable. You may be more anal with the new one, for a while.

The ABS is nice. [dig-in-the-ribs]

Marc

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike, but at the same time I'm glad you're OK. Couple of weeks ago Sturgis in Hamilton advertised 2011 for, I think, $6800 OBO.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Thanks for the feedback about Newmarket Tom - any idea on their prices for a 2011?

I'll pop by Brampton one of these days and see what they have left - $7k is around the price I was looking for.

As for my bike - just after I left home at 6:30am, a bunch of cars suddenly braked in front of me and I had to slam my brakes... cold tires + cold pavement = slide to a stop. Wasn't going too fast, but fast enough that it is written off with all the little plastics damage and so forth. I managed to pick up the bike and drop it on the other side, which probably made things worse. It has around 80k on it, so I figured instead of buying back from the insurance company, I might as well fork over a few extra $, keep my accessories and start with a new 2011. And you're right the ABS is a good thing.

I hope some nice colours are left.
If ever I buy another bike it will have ABS. No questions about it at all as I had an accident last summer that ABS would have corrected for. I am sold on the idea. Just not sold on putting the extra bucks up to replace my Wee.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am all for dealers making a living like the rest of us, but any motorcycle dealer that charges $250 or $350, or anything for "administration fees", needs to be told to get stuffed. I have never paid that on anything I've bought new or used. Maybe it's worked into the price, which is fine. But it's offensive.
The good thing is, there are lots of good deals to be had out there. A dealer charging for freight & pdi makes sense( to a point) because there is an expense charged to the dealer.
Sorry, not looking to piss off my friends in the business ( I'm not counting you Tom, what you sell is in a different stratosphere, I really have no knowledge of how things work up there, this is a motorcycle thing), I just get annoyed at bike dealers who seem to have an "automotive " type attitude towards bike sales.
So Shane, don't be afraid to shop around and find a dealer that is willing to go out of their way for you, they are out there,not just the best price.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Check out Brampton. Body of mine got his 2011 month ago for $6999 +. He is saying that thay had some black and orange left last week. He is not sure if the price is the same.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for the feedback. I just found out what my insurance settlement is and so I will be heading to the dealerships early next week. This is my second time dealing with Jevco from a claims perspective and they have been quite fair and reasonable both times.

I will miss my old Staintune exhaust.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Juan,

I'm glad you are OK and I can certainly feel your anguish. A similar encounter happened to me last fall in the Smoky Mountains only in reverse :confused:

ADVrider - View Single Post - GTA Riders Merged MegaThread

Late in the fall, I purchased a new 2011 DL1000 from Tri-City Cycle in Waterloo. I originally found a very good price at Suzuki of Newmarket but Tri-City matched it. Waterloo, being closer to home, made the decision rather easy! I was able to bolt on all the farkles from my written off 08 DL1000 that got left behind in Tennessee. I purchased my first V-Strom from Tri-City as well. One of my ADV buddies commented that I'm the only guy he knows who could write off a motorcycle and not harm any of the plentiful farkles!

~TR~

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar experience to Tom prices at Newmarket were the lowest around in 2010 when I bought mine buying the bike was a breeze & I didnt have to haggle for a deal. Service was a little sluggish later but not a nightmare just on the slow side which I was ready for so not a problem.
The shop upstairs is always a good experience & regularly have sales with lots of useful advice, overall going on the you get what you pay for theory they get a 9.5 out of ten from me
I bought my 2011 vstrom last summer from Dan as well. Their prices were the lowest around and Dan was very easy to deal with.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I spoke with Dan and he said he would find out for me what they can do. He seemed nice, polite and professional.

They don't have any currently because I had called for him earlier and spoke with another salesman there who said they could order them in for me from another dealership... That other salesman must have swore about 20 times in a 3 minute phone conversation - it was really something to listen to - bashing all the other brands of bikes other than Suzuki and the other dealerships too...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry forgot to mention - I called Brampton too and they sold their last one on Saturday. They said they will look into getting me one from somewhere - hopefully for the same price they were offering before and get back to me. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Could have been Tony you were talking to

That other salesman must have swore about 20 times in a 3 minute phone conversation
I dealt with Tony when I bought my 2010 last year - was happy with the sales transaction. Did not have to go back and forth - I knew what I was willing to pay, and Tony came in well under the # without any fuss.

Delivery - that's a different story (but mostly related to communication breakdown that would not be the norm!).

GG

1 - 20 of 36 Posts