StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everbody:

Been gone awhile on other bikes. I had an 05 and a 2012 Wee. Loved them both. Im thinking about a DL1000A at a local dealer, 2015 model priced right, 10400 out the door.
I rode a DL1000 years ago, couldn't wait to get off of it and back on my wee. Are new ones the same as the old? I can't get a clear picture from the forum about the nature of the new
engine. Nobody allows test rides anymore. Don't mind a few vibes but I want it to be smooth at highway speeds , want rpm is the sweetest on this new Vee? They were all sweet on
the Wee.

Thanks for looking,
Mike

·
Registered
191 Posts
Where are you located? The Suzuki Demo Truck just left Raleigh, NC and is in AZ, NJ, TX, GA, and FL all this month but should be touring for awhile. They just stop at one city but you can check their website for the location. Really cool guys in charge of it. They said they were picking up the new 2018's DL1000's soon but already had one with them to look at. Great way to test if you happen to be near one.

As far as dealers go New bikes (outside of BMW's) are hard to ride in many cities so I would look for a used one around if available as they are usually more lenient.

I have a '15 and while I never rode the old model, I LOVE it and it is versatile with comfortable low speed riding but has very useable power when you want to ride harder. The majority of people here with experience on both seem to think it is a substantial upgrade. I have 11k on mine so far and after riding 5 different bikes this weekend I have no plans to change it. Great value for what you get when looking at actual cost not msrp

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had an 09 wee and now an 15 vee. It is an upgrade in every respect. Better suspension. Way more torque. Faster. Handles better. Better brakes. Better seat. Much better instrument panel, even has a volt meter.

The '15 DL1000 motor isn't as smooth as the gen 1 650's, but strangely it doesn't vibrate the bars and pegs as much as the Gen 1 650's did (IMHO OF COURSE).

I love it, and choose it for solo riding, even interstate slogs, over my BMW K1600. I like it better at every speed. It doesn't have the barn door size windshield, but is more comfortable to my tastes (Which are admittedly plebeian).

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: NVDucati

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok that helps a lot. Im coming from an 08 R1200GS and the boxer motor is not the last word on smoothness, Ive alway found it to be kind of......thready , sort of a strumming nature to it.
I think I'm gonna trade this week when they open up.

Mike

ps I know the K1600 is no boxer.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Bugs,
I am fortunate to have both a 2012 DL650 (with 68,000 miles) and a 2014 DL1000 which I purchased during a prior year model special sale.
The DL1000 isn't as smooth as the 650, but it has a lot more power and torque. The valve train is also a little noisier. Having said that, I am not complaining about the motor. At highway speeds, it feels a lot smoother and much more confortable (IMHO). I have done a saddle sore ride on each of the bikes and would rather use the bigger bike for those types of rides. Compared to the 650, the DL1000 has better suspension, traction control, a slipper clutch, and better instruments.
Wether the seat is more comfortable or not is a matter of opinion.
The DL1000 requires premium fuel (91 or higher octane). It also has given me 10 to 20 MPG less than the smaller bike.
Of course, this is just one person's opinion. Others may disagree.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Reflex makes a good point that the DL1000 is labeled for "90 Octane Premium" (just read the label, it is 90 on mine), but it runs fine on our 10% ethanol labeled 89 mid grade.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Gas mileage is a bit more complicated. I use fuelly.com to track each tank. At "backroad speeds," say 55 to 65 mph, my DL1000 gets 46 to 49 mpg where the DL650 got 60+. However, on a highway slog at 80 mph with luggage (Shad boxes) the DL1000 will get 39 -40 where the DL650 got 32 to 35 with luggage (Jesse boxes).

·
Registered
327 Posts
You're correct, it requires 90 octane fuel.

To quote the Suzuki DL1000 manual "your motorcycle requires premium unleades gasoline with a minimum pump octane rating of 90 ((R+M)/2 method)."

Where I live, no one sells 90 octane. I always use the closest octane rating available without going below the specified rating. Therefore, I purchase 91 octane or higher.

I brought this up because in my opinion, a person who is concerned about the cost of premium fuel should seriously consider buying the DL650 instead. Again, this is just my opinion and I don't claim to know it all.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I think Im going for it, nobody dislikes this bike. I couldn't find a bad review or youtube video that wasn't overthemoon happy about the bike.

Mike

ps, the boxer engine will dip down into the 30s mpg if you are flogging it into a head wind to get home from Arkansas

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bike runs fine on 87 octane. Listen, higher octane only prevents knocking. Bike does not knock on lower octane. I've been running it for 30,000 miles with no issues.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suppose it has enough ecu s on it to compensate, retard its timing and so et al whatever.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here are the fuelly.com distributions for the 2012 DL650 vs 2015 DL1000. It looks like the differences aren't actually all that great. Note that there are 65 DL650's vs four DL1000's.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2012 model

I remember my 12 model use to get 49 or 50 all the time for me, I thought it was great.

Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
Strumming is a good word for it.. haha.. at 70mph.. but at 80? glass smooth.. and the handling on this bike is remarkable. Noticeably better than my Super Tenere and R1200RT (both 2012's). And the sound of the V-twin around town.. sweet!.. I am shocked at the overall competence and level of enjoyment from this motorcycle, and I've had lot's of them..

·
Registered
754 Posts
Over 20,000 miles average mpg between my 05 wee and my 14 V2 is within 3 mpg (for my driving)
Granted I'm pretty sure my 07 wee was a bit better (pre fuelly tracking days) and my 2 V1s were harder on gas than my 2014.
Not much high speed running around here.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You'll like the '15. Everything is different from the old 1000. The engine does have more valve train noise than the 650 due to the 1000's gear driven camshafts vs. the chain drive on the 650. Mine got louder then quieter (still noticeable) as it broke in. Some have a knock that we think is one or more camshafts sliding axially--no problem, still within tolerance, just a noise.

Suspension is much better. Brakes are much better. Handling is really nice. I can set mine into a turn, then just circle my fingers around the grip, and it holds the line with no input from me. Engine, clutch, transmission are very good. There are always small concerns, but no big ones.

Reactions: jrb_nw

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You'll like the '15. Everything is different from the old 1000. The engine does have more valve train noise than the 650 due to the 1000's gear driven camshafts vs. the chain drive on the 650. Mine got louder then quieter (still noticeable) as it broke in. Some have a knock that we think is one or more camshafts sliding axially--no problem, still within tolerance, just a noise.

Suspension is much better. Brakes are much better. Handling is really nice. I can set mine into a turn, then just circle my fingers around the grip, and it holds the line with no input from me. Engine, clutch, transmission are very good. There are always small concerns, but no big ones.

Excellent!

Mike

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I think you need to haggle a little about the price and do your research (Cycletrader) what leftovers go for elsewhere.

Plus make sure they do all the re-call items before taking delivery. Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts