StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
g'day blokes,
Following a recent ride on my bike (ducati multistrada 1200s) the missus declared that she is 'ready to get back into riding'

She had a bit of a break following my stack in october 2010, which left me with moderate to severe spinal damage and in a coma for a week.

Anyhow thats history, Im looking at getting her a wee strom. She was riding my old CBR1000F, but found it too heavy especially at low speed and she liked the riding position of my strada, so I figure the wee-strom would be just the ticket for her when we go away riding for weekends.

So are there any issues with the wee strom? Anything I should be looking out for when looking at a second hand one. How much spare capacity does the standard alternator have for things like aux lighting heated gear etc?

Thanks in advance

OZ

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Is that you Ty?
Was it you I picked up a KLR muffler for in Sydney and sent it to Melbourne?

Anyway, welcome to the forum. (I saw your post over in the intro section too)

The Wee is ridden by many females with no problems, like all bikes it takes a few rides to get used to.

Lowering links are available and dropping the front by moving the forks up in the triple trees may help if she finds the bike a bit tall.

My Mrs would freak out if I got back on a bike after a serious crash, let alone even consider getting a bike of her own.
You are a lucky man in more ways than one. :yesnod:

Cheers,
Ock.

·
Registered
532 Posts
There is limited wattage spare on the alternator, about 7 amps at 12 Volts maximum. (someone here will have the exact figure)
I have seen a lowered Strom in for service at the bike shop, the mechanic said the husband rides a DL1000 with trailer an the wife the lowered DL650, easy job to lower the bike. I didnt meet the owner that day tho.
The DL650 is a very comfrotable & forgiving bike & only a little top heavy.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Bike for missus

I've ridden the cbr1000f and would suggest your lady will find the Strom just as heavy as the cbr1000f Honda. The Strom weighs (depends on whose figures you believe) around 190. My ex 1200gs is around 199, both dry. So the Strom is not the light bike some journo's print. The riding position is a little more upright than the Honda, which doesn't have a real sport bike slouch. From memory the Strom seat felt, to me, is a tad higher than the Honda.
Unless your lady is a sports rider, lowering 1" will present no great problems. Having said that, take her to have a real test ride first,she will probably be impressed in general but in comparison to the Honda the Strom brakes come from a billy cart.
If she, heaven forbid, has a fall she may not be ale to pick it up.

·
Super Moderator
4,601 Posts
My bike previous to the Strom was a CBR1000F and I agree with Saturn5. The CBR is lot lower than the Strom - you can see my foot is flat on the ground. I'm tippy-toe on the Strom (I'm 1.8 metres tall).

Do you want some off-road capability or would you be happy with only paved road use? If the latter, maybe a Honda CB400 ABS (which is what my wife had - see below). Of course we don't know how tall your wife is.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
She was riding my old CBR1000F, but found it too heavy especially at low speed and she liked the riding position of my strada, so I figure the wee-strom would be just the ticket for her when we go away riding for weekends.
She will hate the Wee. It's way, way more top heavy that the CBR1000 and her legs will have to spread far on the pre 2012 models that she will... well you figure the rest.
See if you can find one for her to at least sit on and preferably try for a ride before you make any plans or commitments.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
When on my West trip in 2010,there was a lady on a Duke,naked bike,monster something--she was a small lady and kept rounding me up but I noticed she had no problems at the bowser/stops ie the bike suited her perfectly--with 23 litres in the tank your lass will hate the Wee mate,2 dukes in the shed ay :yesnod::yesnod:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
There is limited wattage spare on the alternator, about 7 amps at 12 Volts maximum. (someone here will have the exact figure)
I have seen a lowered Strom in for service at the bike shop, the mechanic said the husband rides a DL1000 with trailer an the wife the lowered DL650, easy job to lower the bike. I didnt meet the owner that day tho.
The DL650 is a very comfrotable & forgiving bike & only a little top heavy.
I've ridden with that couple, they are not far from me.

She loves her Wee-Strom and we hauled back from the 2011 Bright Annual Gathering at a "very quick" rate of knots with her hubby leading the way with the trailer behind the DL1000 raising spectacular clouds of dust on the dirt sections at well above sane speeds [well sane if it was me towing the trailer- the owner has a high level of skill towing all forms of trailers, from bike to semi's].

The top heavy feeling disappears once you are used to the bike.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

She loves her Wee-Strom and we hauled back from the 2011 Bright Annual Gathering at a "very quick" rate of knots with her hubby leading the way with the trailer behind the DL1000 raising spectacular clouds of dust on the dirt sections at well above sane speeds [well sane if it was me towing the trailer- the owner has a high level of skill towing all forms of trailers, from bike to semi's].

The top heavy feeling disappears once you are used to the bike.
The lady I speak of Ock was small of frame and look possibly 60kg at best--slow riding technique--ie getting a park outside the bakery--a U turn in the main street with the bike loaded and just fueled up--the wee can be a handfull-and when she tells Hubby "you can stick that up your arse" the money is not well spent--the Burgman series come to mind.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
The lady I speak of Ock was small of frame and look possibly 60kg at best--slow riding technique--ie getting a park outside the bakery--a U turn in the main street with the bike loaded and just fueled up--the wee can be a handfull-and when she tells Hubby "you can stick that up your arse" the money is not well spent--the Burgman series come to mind.
Burgman [and other scooters] often require a wide leg spread to get feet on the ground.
The Burgman seems to make a great touring machine apparently, according to a recent ARR magazine report.

The Suzuki Gladius is another popular bike for women and shorter/lighter male riders too.

The three wheeled Gilera Fuoco 500/Piagio 400 could be a fun option. :fineprint:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Burgman [and other scooters] often require a wide leg spread to get feet on the ground.
The Burgman seems to make a great touring machine apparently, according to a recent ARR magazine report.

The Suzuki Gladius is another popular bike for women and shorter/lighter male riders too.

The three wheeled Gilera Fuoco 500/Piagio 400 could be a fun option. :fineprint:
A soft top MX5 is my next bike--:yesnod:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
A soft top MX5 is my next bike--:yesnod:
Why not a Can Am Spyder Don :confused:
More fun than the MX5 I think. :biggrinjester:

You growin' old or something? :green_lol:

You still coming up in Feb. for the wedding? [haven't got an address to send the invite to you but the invite stands anyway, email or pm me].

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that you Ty?
Was it you I picked up a KLR muffler for in Sydney and sent it to Melbourne?

Anyway, welcome to the forum. (I saw your post over in the intro section too)

The Wee is ridden by many females with no problems, like all bikes it takes a few rides to get used to.

Lowering links are available and dropping the front by moving the forks up in the triple trees may help if she finds the bike a bit tall.

My Mrs would freak out if I got back on a bike after a serious crash, let alone even consider getting a bike of her own.
You are a lucky man in more ways than one. :yesnod:

Cheers,
Ock.
naaaaah bloke, thats not me. The wife isnt overly short at 5'7" tall. she was all but flat footed on the CBR1000F, so that wasnt a problem. The Multistrada is a reasonably tall bike as well and she seemed to have no problems with that.

Yes mate Im very aware that I am a lucky bloke. Not only does she ride, but she likes watching the footy, doesnt mind when I go out riding or sailing, and she can back a trailer as well !!

Definately a keeper

OZ

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
naaaaah bloke, thats not me. The wife isnt overly short at 5'7" tall. she was all but flat footed on the CBR1000F, so that wasnt a problem. The Multistrada is a reasonably tall bike as well and she seemed to have no problems with that.

Yes mate Im very aware that I am a lucky bloke. Not only does she ride, but she likes watching the footy, doesnt mind when I go out riding or sailing, and she can back a trailer as well !!

Definately a keeper

OZ
There's an Aussie-Johnno on another forum who lives just west of Melbourne, and obviously I picked up a muffler for him and sent it to Melbourne for him [thought it would have been to much of a coincidence to have been the same person].

p38arover must have short legs :biggrinjester: [I'm only 5'10" and can easily flat foot my Wee-Strom], I've ridden with him and never noticed him having any problems.
I better be careful, he is definitely taller than me and might bop me on the top of my head with his fist :yikes:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
A tall Wee?

A persons height has little to do with feet touching the ground. I think all Oz. journo's make this mistake repeatedly and never learn. U.S. journo's are always correct as they quote the inseam measurement as it should be. I'm 5'11" well was before I started to rot and shrink. My inseam is only 32" from an unreliable memory but short legs and long back anyway.
Some suggestions: The CB 400 would I think be great choice also Monster 620 with higher bars,Gladius all as previously suggested. So much choice...kids in a candy shop.

·
Super Moderator
4,601 Posts
p38arover must have short legs :biggrinjester: [I'm only 5'10" and can easily flat foot my Wee-Strom], I've ridden with him and never noticed him having any problems
One day coming out of the local coffee shop driveway with Brian (Saturn 5), I had to stop straddling the gutter. My feet couldn't touch the ground and I fell over. I'm glad Brian was with me to help me get the bike off me and up again. (I'm also glad I hadn't taken him up on the offer of a ride on the GS! )

·
Super Moderator
4,601 Posts

She loves her Wee-Strom and we hauled back from the 2011 Bright Annual Gathering at a "very quick" rate of knots with her hubby leading the way with the trailer behind the DL1000
This is the 1000 and trailer:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
This is the 1000 and trailer:

That's the one. :yesnod:

At speed on a dirt road it creates an enormous plume of dust, looks great [but not so good being behind it- cough choke cough].

Deb handles her lowered Wee-Strom with ease and keeps up with Alex without any problems.

'bout time we did another coffee ride too Ron, Bri and maybe a couple of the others might join in, we can discuss lowering your Wee-Strom for you. :biggrinjester:

·
Super Moderator
4,601 Posts
'bout time we did another coffee ride too Ron, Bri and maybe a couple of the others might join in, we can discuss lowering your Wee-Strom for you. :biggrinjester:
Good idea. I have lowering links I bought from a fellow forum member.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts