StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, way back in 2006, I purchased an 04 1000, it appears my old account is no longer active. :) Over the years, I've put about 50k miles on that bike. It's been a great friend. I'm thinking about replacing it with the 2018 model I stumbled across. Things I know I'm going to need include heated grips and luggage along with some way to plug in my heated vest.

Are there any heated grips that use the stock wiring harness (for less than the 300+ dollars that suzuki seems to think is reasonable)? If not, what's the scoop on adding a switched power distribution network to the bike?

Luggage appears to be more complicated than I'd anticipated. I'll need locking side cases and a top case. I usually just use the top case for my daily commute so it needs to be big enough for the helmet and gloves. Side cases don't have to be anything special, I rarely venture farther into the backcountry than dirt dual tracks so I'm not super concerned about how they might come through a drop, but locking is a must.

Beyond that, the bike appears to have some form of aftermarket exhaust, at least it'll be lighter than stock. If it's too noisy, does anybody have recommendations for a replacement?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
First see the model of the exhaust. If it's too noisy it is probably missing the "Db Killer". Many of exhaust manufacturers sell db killers. My Arrow exhaust came with db killer installed that i removed as I needed the exhaust to be noisy.
So, start with discovering which exhaust the bike has.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Welcome back!

If you don't need a lot of space the OEM side cases are a solid solution. Many don't like them (including me) because they are limited in size and not suitable for extended trips. If they are big enough for you, they come up regularly for sale here by someone replacing them with larger aftermarket ones.

Aftermarket: Search here; there is a recent tread here about what fits the V2. I use SWM racks, they are symmetrical with 1550 Pelicans.

Adding a power distribution fuse box is no more complicated than on your old VEE. Except there is less space under the seat and around the battery area, but doable with a little patience. I managed to keep it all outside of the underseat tray, but its a bit messy.

Most seem to opt for Oxford grips and not bother with the OEM setup I think. I made my own gripheater setup with snowmobile grip heaters and a heattroller. They get very hot on full power!

NEVA20 Rally: Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock
Save The Dates: July 31 to August 2, 2020
WWW.NEVA20.COM
NEVA20 - July 31 to August 2, 2020 - Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Here is the Luggage Thread:

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
My 2014 came with the OEM side cases, and although they aren't as big as the Givi I had on the 650, they're big enough that I can travel for days with them. I put a Givi top box on mine, plenty of choices there, or look at Shad as an option.
another vote for Oxford Heaterz here, under $100, easy install, and hot enough that I never run them at 100 %. They have three models, the difference being length. I think I went with touring length, Adventure was longer than my bike needed. Check the length though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so the bike has some form of luggage frame and possibly a Shad mounting plate on the rear rack. Still working from pictures while I wait for an opportunity to check it out in person. If the luggage mounts fit a particular brand, that will narrow down my choices. Looks like the Oxford is the way to go for grip heaters. Add the eastern beaver wiring harness and I should have everything I need.

·
2015 DL650
119 Posts
Totally agree with Oxford heated grips. I just installed them on my 2018 DL1000 and previously had them on my wee-strom. I also installed the Eastern Beaver fuse box, along with auxillary lights and light bar from AdventureTech. Very nice setup, so far.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
OK, so the bike has some form of luggage frame and possibly a Shad mounting plate on the rear rack. Still working from pictures while I wait for an opportunity to check it out in person. If the luggage mounts fit a particular brand, that will narrow down my choices. Looks like the Oxford is the way to go for grip heaters. Add the eastern beaver wiring harness and I should have everything I need.
Shad makes some really nice stuff, for the top case look at the Shad 58X. It offers 3 settings for capacity. I had one on my ST1300A and it was awesome! I miss that bike and the luggage!

For the Oxford grips, you do not need any additional wiring. They come with eyelets on the wires and you connect them directly to the battery. The controller for them can sense when the voltage is dropping (bike turned off) and it will shut the grips off within a few minutes. It works really well! I disconnect my heated grips during the warm months just to avoid any issues but i've been using Oxfords and never had an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I decided to buy the bike. It should be on my doorstep around the end of Febuary. It's got some soft cases on it right now which will have to go. Because I'm mostly on-road, I'm leaning towards the Shad P3 system with side cases and a fair sized top box. The top box will house my helmet whenever it's not on my head (commute riding). Just how big is the 58x? Is it monstrous? Do any of the smaller cases make sense for holding my helmet and gloves for the daily commute parking?

The exhaust appears to have some no-name muffler with some kind of flapper valve in it. I'll probably pull that and stick on a delkevik unless I can find a stock muffler that someone wants to get rid of. It appears the CAT is still hiding underneath so hopefully I want have retune.

·
2015 DL650
119 Posts
Enjoy your new ride. I am loving my '18 DL1000. A great all around work-horse of a motorcycle. It has checked all the boxes for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been told it left Vegas a couple days ago, should be here before the end of the month. Hopefully the roads will be clean enough to ride on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts