StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after replacing my chain and sprockets a couple weeks ago, I seemed to notice more vibration than normal coming through the footpegs and around the frame where my feet rub. I figured the chain was rubbing the sprockets and causing the vibes I was feeling. After screwing around with lining up the sprockets for a week straight, I was having no luck. I got home today and started looking elsewhere. Turns out the swingarm bearings have some play in them. The only way I found this was by hitting the rear tire sideways with a mallet. I could hear a clunk when doing this so I started looking and the bearings are what I found. I haven't pulled it off yet, have to make the el-cheapo nut remover for the lock nut and I have to order the bearings. Any one else run into sloppy swingarm bearings? There is a partial write-up in the maintenance section, but nothing showing the bearing removal. Hopefully new bearings will kill the buzzing in my footpegs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay after some further investigation, I have found that there is side to side slop in the swingarm. I can get a .025" feeler gauge between the spacer bushing and the bearing. Is this something that can be tightened down? I am 99.999% sure this is where the buzzing in the footpegs is coming from. It doesn't seem like there is any slop in the bearings after all, just side to side movement. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link Greywolf. This might be a case of me fixating on the buzzing in the footpegs. I guess I never noticed it before I changed the sprockets. Now that I am aware of it, it might be more in my head. I do feel some buzzing in the footpeg area though. I guess this is fairly common though. All bikes are a little buzzy. I suppose that some side to side movement could have been what had me scratching my head when it came to getting the chain to run centered on the rear sprocket. If you, or others wouldn't mind next time your bike is on the center stand checking with a feeler gauge to see what your side to side movement of the swingarm is. Again, thank-you for the info and help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
front sprocket

Did you use a stock front sprocket? They use rubber to cut down on vibes on the sprocket faces.

An aftermarket plain metal front sprocket might be the source of your vibes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it ended up being the swingarm bearings after all. I ordered a set last Wed. and they came in today. I put them in and went for a ride, no more vibration in the pegs. All is good now. And yes I did get a suzuki front sprocket after the new JT seemed to be excessively loud. It quieted up the driveline noise by a ton. Worth the extra $15 to me.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Radial play in the swingarm bearings can be a problem. Only a little end float is normal.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Well it ended up being the swingarm bearings after all. I ordered a set last Wed. and they came in today. I put them in and went for a ride, no more vibration in the pegs. All is good now. And yes I did get a suzuki front sprocket after the new JT seemed to be excessively loud. It quieted up the driveline noise by a ton. Worth the extra $15 to me.
Did you replace ALL of the bearings and bushings as well? (The swingarm and cushion lever too?).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts