StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 321 Posts

·
Administrator
13,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am creating this thread to post any pictures seen at the side of the road that I think are interesting, odd or unique. I hope you will add to it!

I did a double-take when I first saw this:

Look in the window of this one:

..Tom

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I was out riding back in '15 when I happened across this on NC 109, up by Uwharrie National Forest. I'd never seen a rattlesnake in the wild in NC, and this one had only been dead a very brief time before we got to it. I'm kinda glad that I wasn't the one who hit him...he was BIG.

·
Administrator
13,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was out riding back in '15 when I happened across this on NC 109, up by Uwharrie National Forest. I'd never seen a rattlesnake in the wild in NC, and this one had only been dead a very brief time before we got to it. I'm kinda glad that I wasn't the one who hit him...he was BIG.
Looks like it ate recently as well! Hard to see the size... how long would you say it was?

..Tom

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
LOL V-Tom, I don't want to be one of those "the fish was THIS big, I swear!" kind of guys, but it looked like it was about 3 1/2 or four feet long. I looked it up on line and it's a Canebrake Rattlesnake, and they average from 30-60 inches, so this one was right in the mid-range in size. About as big around in the middle as my forearm, so yeah, I think that there was one less rat in the world right before the snake went to its reward.....

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
Actually saw an otter crossing sign in Quebec.

My partner loved this on a trip to Northern Cal

·
Registered
430 Posts
Where and why the high crash rate?
Pretty sure that's VA Rte. 211 headed to or from Luray, VA....seen that sign a few times myself, also avoided crashing.

That road is an absolutely awesome ride. Decreasing radius turns, switchbacks, etc. for miles going up the ridge and miles going down the other side! Speed control is everything as coming in to turns too hot will land you in trouble quick and speeding at the top will cost you a lot of money! Skyline Drive crosses this route at the top of the ridge and the National Park Service, along with local and State LEO's are never off duty up there and riders are usually keyed up from the ride up either side.

Attached picture is along a local route but always makes me grin!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,562 Posts
The Bonang Hwy between Delegate, NSW and Orbost, Victoria. The Bucko sticker on the sign is a reference to my late son. I have no idea who put it there. I saw it on a trip down that way for the Two Wheels forum Xmas run.

TWXP 09005 by Ron Beckett, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I'm glad you started this thread, V-Tom; it made me go look through my photo albums for other weird things I've seen in my motorcycle travels.

This was from the Outer Banks in '06, somewhere north of Buxton:

Rumor has it they came for the conquering, but hung around for the seafood.

·
Administrator
13,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The Bonang Hwy between Delegate, NSW and Orbost, Victoria. The Bucko sticker on the sign is a reference to my late son. I have no idea who put it there. I saw it on a trip down that way for the Two Wheels forum Xmas run.
Sorry to hear about your son! I have a feeling you have lots of happy memories of your time with him.

Can I ask what happened to him?

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm glad you started this thread, V-Tom; it made me go look through my photo albums for other weird things I've seen in my motorcycle travels.

This was from the Outer Banks in '06, somewhere north of Buxton:

Rumor has it they came for the conquering, but hung around for the seafood.
Thanks and hahaha!

My wife and I were done in that neck of the woods in May of 2016 (after Romney.) We went north though, up to Corolla to see the "wild" horses. (Actually it was pretty depressing ). Cool being at Kitty Hawk though!

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,562 Posts
It's not rude - hmm, maybe it is to those of us from the southern states. >:)

Far North Queensland (Qld is an Oz state) and we reckon the people there are the equivalent of those from southern USA - it must be the heat and humidity. :D

1 - 20 of 321 Posts