StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Eastern plains of Colorado. Planned to head out to Moab with the DRZ for a week, but the others suddenly couldn't go. So what to do? Well I loaded up the Wee with my sleeping bag, some backpacking meals, tent etc and headed out. Down to the Hidden Canyons of S.E. Colorado. I'm a Native of Colorado, done a good amount of exploring, but not too much down there. the largest set of Dinosouar tracks in the world are @ Picketwire Canyon. Just gives you a little taste of what is there, hidden, in those canyons. So off I went, on my own, no company, just me and my Wee. Wee headed down through Punkin Corners, to LaJunta. Camped @ Picketwire the first night. Nice FREE camp spot on the rim of the canyon. Then a loop down through Springfeild ,Co and Picture canyon. then up through Carizzo Canyon,Past Kim,Co. and finally camping @ Vogel Canyon, (again FREE) Vogel is on the old Stage line dating back to the 1879's. The wagon tracks are still there. LaJunta is the home of Bent's fort, the first trading post on the Sante Fe trail. It's now a National Monument. It was restored to it's original glory for filming the eppic Michner mini series "Centennial". Vogel was one of the only places left in the lower 48 that you could see 360 degrees of the night sky without any light polution. Unfortunately someone built a cell tower there and ruined that. I had no otheres to bother me in camp every night, well except the Coyote one night who seemed a little too friendly. I guess I put on probably 1500 miles or so, probably several hundred miles of it dirt roads. All in all a great solo trip. Sometimes I got to places where I was little out of my "alone" comfort zone. Had I fallen, I could have been there for several days before nayone would have wondered by. Guess I need a SPOT. Never used to bother me, old age maybe the culprit there.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Highs were in the mid 60'sF every day, but nights were cold, mid 20's I would guess. As I headed home on Friday Dec 30 it was only 37 in Lajunta. Gotta love that heated gear. But again by noon I didn't need it. The wind on the plains can be a problem. It wasn't too bad until I left Punkin Corners. the a headwind just kept getting stronger as I approached Calhan Hiwy. Sure is nice to have a fork brace in the gusty winds. But being out there is part of it, and it was wonderful.:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
eastern Colorado

found this monument quite by accident, one day in eastern Colorado

as i remember, it was in Last Chance on the south west corner of the intersection

the stones the monument is made of are old fence posts, made of limestone

cool stuff, out there

sw

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts