StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently removed my loud slip-on pipe and went back to the stock pipe (well almost stock, just gutted) on my 07 DL650. Since then I've noticed a constant chirping or whistle coming under the bike when riding, but ONLY while accelerating. When I pull in the the clutch or rev the engine in neutral, I can't hear it.

I've read several posts on the fuel pump whine, but I don't think that is my problem because it's not a whine, it's more of a whistle and only when under load.

I am going to replace my rear tire this weekend (running Trailwings now and installing Shinko 705's) and check over the drive chain for alignment, worn rollers and a loose front sprocket. I was looking for suggestions of what else I should look at? Have others hear this birdie on their Wee? Do I need adjust my timing chains?

Mods I have that I think could be related to the issue are a 17T front sprocket (do mostly 80mph+ hwy driving), AIS block off plates, K&N air filter and the last oil change took a full 3Qt of 5W40 Rotella to reach the full line on the oil window (manual calls for 2.5Qt?).

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Check the speedo drive. Thats what cause mine to chirp. Little grease and it went away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have this same exact noise and it seems to be getting louder. My K5 is completely stock, and I've got a Trailwing on the back that I will replace with at Trail Attack in the next few weeks (if that even matters).

Like you, I only hear it when under load-it goes away when I roll off the throttle or pull the clutch in. Makes no noise when I rev it in neutral.

It always seemed more noticeable in 6th gear, but now that I think of it there's going to be less engine noise due to lower revs at highway speeds, so it is probably the same in all gears.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bye-Bye Birdie

I got rid of my squeak/chirp after I installed my new Shinko 705 rear tire and cleaned, adjusted and lubed my chain. I'm pretty sure the chain was the culprit.
Now I just need to get use to the rear end vibration from that Shinko! I tried 36 psi at first and then 40 psi. Seems a little bit better at 40 psi, but still can hear the chain rattle and feel heavy vibration when deceleration / braking to under 25 mph. I can learn to live with it if I can get 10,000 miles out of the tire like others without a lug of tread flying off at 85 mph!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Vibrations can be warning sign.

If your chain is getting old it may have a couple of tight spots causing the vibration. My chain was stuffed after 47500kms and a new one made a world of difference, the slow deterioration of the chain is hard to notice day to day it creeps on you. Also check your wheel bearings they can chirp on the way out as well. The wheel bearings are a cheap fix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get a squeak too and I think its from the speedo drive. How, exactly, does one adequately grease this thing?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The inner piece rotates within the outer piece. Take them apart and apply grease to the mating areas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts