StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a vacation planned this week. My mother-in-law rented a place for the entire family to get together in Sun River, OR. It is a celebration of Grandpa's 61 birthday. There are going to be 3 families in one house including great-great grandma and a bunch of young kids.

Here's where the God Part comes in...

My buddy has a trip planned to go do the Rubicon Jamboree this week. The fellow that was going to go with him couldn't make it. (Shame) So, I lucked into going along with him and getting in FREE. All meals, everything.

To make it even better, I am riding the Strom from PDX to around Lake Tahoe and back.

So, instead of a vacation with the mother-in-law (who I actually do like), I get to put 1300 miles on the DL650 plus get to do the Rubicon trail in a Jeep, smoke cigars, camp, fish and tell stories all while getting fed great meals.

Life is good. Hopefully, I will avoid the thunderstorms. (and the wrath of the mother-in-law for missing her party ;-))

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I hate you.

:-D

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Given my occupation you can imagine that I'd not quarrel with you regarding the existence of God. Your story would certainly indicate that he is smiling on you right now. Have a great ride!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Given my occupation you can imagine that I'd not quarrel with you regarding the existence of God. Your story would certainly indicate that he is smiling on you right now. Have a great ride!
Hey Rev. Thanks for blessing my thread. And, thanks for the great website you have. It has helped me make some decisions on my bike and gear as I am just getting started out.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hmmmm, I do envy you! Smoking cigars and motorcycling is a great combo! I am attending a pro baseball game tonight and have special tickets to a VIP tent where I get a sampler pk. of 8 CAO's and all I can eat food; wine tasting; and all this along the thrid base line!!!!! Whooo HOooo!

·
Registered
942 Posts
The next thing you know, every guy on the board will be posting on this thread bragging about how big their ... tail pipes are. ;-)

Brass, sounds like you've got a great trip ahead of you. Be sure to let us know how the trip went and post a few pics, too (but if you have to invoke the "What happens at Rubicon stays at Rubicon" clause, we'll understand).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back in PDX

1,366 DL650 miles
22 Rubicon trail miles in the jeep
40 extra miles in the Jeep
21 Hours on the Strom

Departure time from PDX on 7/25/07: 5:40PM
Arrival @ Robbs Resort(Near Georgetown, CA): 4:40AM

Departure Time from Robbs Resort, CA: 10:00AM
Arrival PDX: 8:00PM

Total travel time: 21 Hours
Average MPH: 65
Average MPG: 48

The night run out to Tahoe was interesting. By the time I got to Shasta, it was dark, cold and the critters were out.

The Vstrom ran perfectly. The only thing that I know of so far that came loose was the two screws that hold down the seat latch. The entire latch came off with the seat and when I lifted it.

Other than that, It was a great first long trip on my bike. I didn't find the stock seat to be that bad. Pretty comfortable overall. I had the Givis full of gear and clothes. Even with the additional luggage / weight the bike still had plenty of pull on the uphill stretches of highway.

I really liked having the Icon reflective vest. It made people in front pull over and people behind give you a lot of extra room.

I wish I could say that I obeyed the speed limit and was a responsible citizen, however, I can't. I shadowed a few fast moving vehicles and found my speed to be 100 on the dial (93 actual) a couple of times. The bike didn't feel like it was working even though it was reaching it's limits.

I learned to hate the top vents on my new Shoei RF1000. Can we say "loud"? I plugged in the Zune and that helped a lot. I did enjoy the airflow when the temps were baking hot in CA.

The Rubicon was a blast. There were about 200 Jeeps out there. Plenty of booze, music, craziness, history, laughter, breakdowns, good food, etc.

I had an awesome time. If you ever get a chance to take a Jeep or other 4x4 out to the Rubicon, do it. It's a hoot.

Now, I am going to hit the sack.

I'll post some pics later.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Sounds like you had a great trip. I'm getting ready to blast out of here on tues for 12 days on the Wee. VA to WV to Upper MI back to VA.

Your pics not fully loading (at least for me here on my work connection, I'll try again at home).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts