StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about the rest of the world but here in the mountains of New Hampster our Winter is just not happening. I've been riding motorcycles in New England for some 30 years now and I can't remember anything like it.

Normally in January there would be about two feet of snow in my front yard. There'd be a thick sheet of ice on the driveway and the wind chill would be somewhere below zero F while a twenty knot wind lashed against my North wall.
That's not the case right now.

In fact I took a very enjoy able 175 mile putt around the mid to southeastern section of the state today on some favorite back roads. The grip heaters went on a few times but I never once switched on the heated vest. Not once. In January. Whoa.

Anybody else having a super-extended riding season? All you lucky bastards who have normal year-round riding need not reply. (Just kidding, chime in if you like...)

Cheers,

MW (Mount Washington) Valley

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Ditto for us. I mentioned something about it in another post earlier today.

I rode 225 miles yesterday simply because it was a bit over 60 degrees here, and way to pretty not to ride. We've had some chilly weather, but none of the normal bitter December / January cold. I think the coldest I've seen this year so far was about 30 degrees and that was early in the morning. Mid-day temps have yet to be lower than about 40 or so, and that just isn't right for us. It's rained a lot, but not anywhere near cold enough for any snow so far.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Down here in Melbourne we had hail and small amount of snow on Christmas day! Three days earlier it was high 30s C (near 100F).
I see that the medium term weather forecasts show the NE USA getting a very severe cold spell in Feb / March. I wonder how that's going to affect all the flora that they keep showing on TV here which is already in it's spring bud?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
WInter ??? where?

MWV; since last april 29th I have riden my '05-DL1k every weekend and 80% of most week days .I did not ride New Years Eve or N.Y.Day this is the longest season I can remember in 30+ years also...:???: However I went for a 125 miler today. just went to Southern Vt. . Took Vt 30 to Manchester, up over Bromley to Londonderry over to Stratton over thru West Wardsboro, down to Jamaica & then into Weston
over to MT.Holly and home to Bomoseen.
A nice leisurely ride took my time and stoped twice for Coffee....
this evening a younger guy ragged on me about being out in His Snowmobile season and what 's up with that??? I just smiled and asked him....."If it were to drop 12+ inches of snow in say September or even in late April or May , Would you get the Arctic Cat out for a ride???" We both just laughed and I said
Thats what I thougt!..:rolleyes: See you on the road. Ride Safe everyone:!:

M

·
0 Posts
Well this just sucks! The only rewarding thing about living in So-Cal is being smug about our winter weather. Now that that's gone I'm just one of the 14 million schmucks sucking up smog.:(

Glad you guys are getting out though.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Well, get used to it.

In my brief time on this planet, I've seen a huge difference in the winters in Vancouver. Thirty years ago, we used to play hockey on the local lake. That lake hasn't frozen over in at least a dozen years.

The Fraser river used to regularly freeze all the way down to New Westminster. It hasn't done that in my lifetime (all 34 years of it).

The micro-climate here is amazing. You leave what we call the "lower mainland" and there's an immediate 5 degree Celsius difference.

In my opinion, people are AN obvious cause of global warming. Maybe the ONLY cause. I don't know about that though.

Makes for a longer riding season anyway. Sure sucks for the pine trees here though. The pine beetle, an imported bug, doesn't die off in the winters unless it gets really cold. It's hard to find a live pine tree in BC now. That's sad, if you ask me.
http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfp/mountain_pine_beetle/images/MPB_July8_03.jpg
http://www.pfc.forestry.ca/entomology/mpb/management/silviculture/images/valley_lrg.jpg
Those aren't deciduous trees; they're dead pines.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I can vouch for NC. I've put on another 3-400 miles this week just because it's 70* and gorgeous outside. Haven't stopped riding for the season yet, and usually it's between late Dec-Feb that we get maybe 1-2 weekends up to 50 or so to ride. Hasn't gotten below 40* but once or twice this year.

Insane. My bro/law and I were laughing yesterday b/c we were HOT in our short sleeve shirts when we stopped for a stretch. It's Jan 7th!!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
This is my first winter riding season and I got electrics for everything and haven't stopped riding yet. Except for the fact that I've garaged my bike after thanksgiving since I'm still in school and expected the nasty weather to show up. It did not which made me mad I garaged it. It was probably a good thing though class wise :) Rode for my two week winter break too :)

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
Loving it. Went for an 80-miler after getting off work on Christmas morning, through Tombstone. Not bad at all, can't wait to get back to AZ, where the bike is.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Hello larolco,

Really sorry to hear about the pine beetle situation in BC. I spent several summers traveling through BC, Yukon, and Alberta. Very beautiful country. Friends have sent me pictures of the forests and I compare them to my pics from the early 80's and it's amazing the difference made by just one bug. In the Midwest, US we have the emerald ash borer that we allowed in from China. It has an affinity for ash trees and has devastated our deciduous forests in the States and in Eastern Canada. Bugs suck. As far as global warming goes, I am for reducing emissions as much as possible but remember this is a dynamic planet. It has been heating and cooling since the beginning of time. One good volcano fart and its instant ice age again. The upside in Ohio is a longer riding season. The downside is that we may soon see kudzu creeping along the countryside.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well... I have been on a ride nearly every day this year! That is just unheard of up here... Normally there are outdoor ice rinks all over the place this time of year but they have even had to close the Kingston city rink and it is cooled from underneath the ice. It just couldn't cool the pad enough to keep ice on it.

At this rate we will be eating a lot of bugs come spring! I wonder if you can get tear away visors for an Arai???

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
This was inevitable. I have a sister in Ontario and every winter as long as I can remember I would sit here smugly in Lotusland and torment her relentlessly about the winters she was enduring. It was all in good fun, but guess who's having all the fun now? :rolleyes:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
My extended forecast is for single digits, way below zero for our friends in the GWN who use better measuring systems. That's a sure cue for my new bike to finally arrive at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
My extended forecast is for single digits, way below zero for our friends in the GWN who use better measuring systems. That's a sure cue for my new bike to finally arrive at the dealer.
Here's hoping for snow and ice-free roads, Pat.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Patience Greywolf. How is the wrist coming along ??

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I've been rooting for Greywolf to get his his new bike since he ordered the darn thing. At this rate as long as you have a clear weather for the week you may get to ride if home if you wish :)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I've been ready to ride for months. The shoulder is the biggest bother but it's not bad. It's been 7 months so I'm more than halfway to the year of healing I've been told to expect. I've already employed the trailer hitch with a rented trailer to pick up a work stand. I'll stick with that. ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for your comments. It's a funny winter that's for sure. Not Ha, Ha, funny, but well you know what I mean. From Kiwiland to northern Quebec province and everywhere in between, we're quite the global family. Pretty cool. Be well everyone and ride when you can. BTW there IS finally snow on my driveway. Oh well..

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I think I just put my back out shoveling today's foot of snow.

Damn weather.

I spent 5 hours commuting today (that's a record). Takes me about 1:45 on the V.

Minus 8 and serious ice forecast for tomorrow. Looks like the V's getting a holiday for the next while. :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts