StromTrooper banner

401 - 409 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
@Laurentbr,
I'm 180 cm tall. I had an 18" Madstad on my 2017, and it was clearly not tall enough for me. Before ordering, I actually called Madstad and spoke to a person about the sizing, so I hoped it would be correct. I ended up returning that screen and getting a 20" version. Even from Canada, the shipping and 15% restocking fee made the replacement quite expensive.

If you go with a Madstad, I personally recommend that you get the next size up from the size the chart recommends. As per my post above, I also found the Madstad needs an additional spoiler lip to really work well. I think my experience matches that of @air-ick above.

Each person's experience is different, but windscreens are expensive, and changing them out is an expensive hobby.
Yes I agree with going one size up on the Madstad. I got the recommended size and I still had a little wind hitting the top of my helmet. I made new holes to raise it about another 1.5" and it's almost perfect now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I made a pretty big breakthrough on the buffeting. I recently got a naked bike and my old helmet was way too big. Wind was catching beneath it and trying to rip it off my head. So I got a properly fitting helmet. When I wore the new helmet on the Strom, no more buffeting, even at 85 mph. Sure there is still wind noise but no pommeling. I've done a bunch of other things, mirror extenders, 22" Madstad, tank bag, Aprilla-style mirrors, etc., which helped somewhat but there was always some buffeting. I'm cured! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
New owner of 2019 650 XT Touring. 6' tall 33 inch inseam. I found the stock windscreen tolerable but a bit noisy with a bit of minor buffeting over 65mph. Most of my other bikes have been sportbikes or sport touring bikes so I am using to having the airstream off a fairing windscreen hitting me in the helmet. I have an SV650 with no fairing that is quieter than any faired bike I've had. I always wear earplugs. With the stock screen on my FJR1300 all the way down the noise from the screen was loud enough I couldn't understand conversations on my communicator above 60 mph unless I raised the screen up far enough that the heat was unbearable on a summer day. Talk and sweat or do neither. With the stock Strom screen I can have a conversation at 65 easily so it's loud but not super loud. Installed a Givi Airflow and rode 170 miles yesterday. It is a marked improvement. Mounted to the top holes with the slider all the way down the turbulent air goes 4 or 5 inches over my helmet. It was a gusty day and heavy winds coming in from the side or front quarter disrupted the flow a bit and were annoying. Gusty crosswinds are annoying on anything. Spent about a half hour doing 70+ on a 4 lane highway. Could have done that all day. Raising the slider up actually made things a bit louder, think I'll save that option for a rainy day. I honestly don't understand the widely varying experience. I moved my head up and down and back and forth quite a bit without much change in the noise or turbulence. I can only conclude that some people just have a low tolerance for wind and noise. I like having some air spill around the fairing and hit my shoulders and torso. Not enough to make you hang on but enough to cool you off on a hot day. Being able to ride at highway speeds with my visor open is not a requirement for me.

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki V-Stom 650XT
2 Posts
Does the Madstad normally project that far from the handlebars? I was considering this for new Strom but this kind of seems like it floats in space way in front. Did you ever consider the California Scientific windshield? Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
About 500 miles behind the Givi Airflow now. This thing is just weird. It’s very quiet compared to the stock screen and if the air is dead calm, almost no buffeting. Any wind disturbance whether a natural breeze or car in front produces a very low frequency buffet. Just enough to annoy a bit. The strangest part is that the adjustable feature seems useless. Raising the screen any amount from all the way down makes both noise and buffeting worse. The higher it goes, the worse it gets until I am looking through it which I don’t like so I did’t try any higher. Mounted in the top screw holes. Lower mount is also mildly worse. Unless you’re wearing an open face helmet in the rain I can’t see what the adjustment is good for.

·
Registered
297 Posts
@BobW
These things really vary from person to person. I found the AirFlow ideal for running around riding really good at about halfway up. For the highway, I went to about 3/4 of the way up, and I was never looking through the screen. When I went off road, in places with mud and rocks and more opportunities to fall over, I took the top part off completely. So, for me, the adjustment options were ideal.

·
Registered
2014 DL650A, 2019 DL650XT
36 Posts
Does the Madstad normally project that far from the handlebars? I was considering this for new Strom but this kind of seems like it floats in space way in front. Did you ever consider the California Scientific windshield? Cheers
Yes the Madstad projects out quite a bit from the fairing, enough so that it catches light from the headlight causing the bottom of the screen to glow. This bothered me so much that I returned the screen to Madstad and ate the restocking and return shipping fees. The Givi Airflow picks up a bit of light from the headlight but it has a black screened area on the bottom of the windscreen to mitigate the problem.

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki V-Stom 650XT
2 Posts
Yes the Madstad projects out quite a bit from the fairing, enough so that it catches light from the headlight causing the bottom of the screen to glow. This bothered me so much that I returned the screen to Madstad and ate the restocking and return shipping fees. The Givi Airflow picks up a bit of light from the headlight but it has a black screened area on the bottom of the windscreen to mitigate the problem.
I replaced the stock screen with a Puig 9719W. With the new Puig, at speeds over 60 or so seem I seem to get a lot of buffeting. At 70, it becomes borderline intolerable. It also doesn't match the slope angle of the Strom dashboard area and is angled more vertically. Does the Givi match the slope angle better and do you get a smooth airflow if you have it lowered enough to look over? Not crazy about it's 2 piece design.

401 - 409 of 409 Posts