StromTrooper banner

381 - 396 of 396 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
As a few will know, much of my motorcycling life has been fighting with wind and wind noise, and I've spent an eye-watering amount of money on clear plastic bits over the years. I have both a 20" Madstad and a Givi Airflow, which I've alternated between. Generally, I've preferred the Givi. (I'm just under 6' and longer of torso than leg, 210 lbs. Not sure how I got that fat).

Anyhow, I've preparing to list the Madstad for sale, but decided to try an inexpensive clip on spoiler. I avoid Amazon if at all possible, but I did get a centre-mount clip on, and added it to my Madstad. This spoiler lip was about $39.00 Cdn. There seems to be several versions of this particular lip, from different sellers, but I just picked the one that was available immediately and which was not stupidly expensive. The quality seems quite decent. No instructions, but better component quality than I expected.

I did a ride today for a couple of hours, and so far, I'm cautiously optimistic about this combination. It seems to be combine the broad coverage and two-plane adjustability of the Madstad, with the bi-planar wind control of the Givi. I did not get to high speeds; nothing above 115 kph/ 72 mph +/- but it was very good. No head abuse, very little noise and an easy ride with my visor up. I had the Madstad at the lowest position on the slider, but in the upper holes on the stock brackets, and tilted all the way back.

I'll try some more highway riding to test further. If it is a fail, the Madstad goes on the block. But so far, I think this approach could be very intriguing.
IMG_6532.jpeg IMG_6526.jpeg IMG_6528.jpeg IMG_6529.jpeg IMG_6530.jpeg IMG_6531.jpeg Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 6.20.53 PM.png

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you find the mounting bracket distracting? Is it low enough to be out of your line-of-sight? I purchased the other cheap Amazon version, the one with the 2 smaller black mounting brackets and even though they sit just below my direct line-of-sight, I feel like they are in the way of my forward vision.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know what you mean. I hesitated about this design for exactly that concern, the direct line-of-sight bracket. But the others with the two outside mounts were too much money or wouldn't be delivered until October. There might have been one, but I didn't like the look of the hardware; just seemed too flimsy. A few years ago I had Puig clip-on, with the two mounts, that I wish I'd kept.

But to your question, I do notice it, but it bothers me less than I expected it would. The mount, being matte aluminum, sort of fades away. It is less noticeable when riding than it is in photos, or when looking at it when the bike is still. I think I'm looking at the screen and clamp a lot right now as I ride, as I'm wondering about the effect of the clip on screen. I suspect that after a few rides I'll pay less attention to it. The screen itself is in my vision and that may be annoying if it gets dirty or in rain, but I do like a screen that comes to just under my eye level.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks. I know now that I should have gotten a taller Madstad. Being 5'11" I used there recommended height and got the 22" but it was still it bit too short for my tastes. Fortunately, the spoiler definitely does what the taller windshield would have. It works great. I just don't like the looks of it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had the same windshield height experience. I actually called them on the telephone before I purchased my first Madstad. They advised me to get the 18" because of the adjustability. It was too short. So I returned the 18" for a 20". Still not enough. Being in Canada, the shipping for the return, the shipping of the replacement as well as the 15% fee came out to a very expensive 'exchange policy'. Oh well, that train has sailed. Agree that the clip-on spoiler/ lip is a bit funny looking, but it is not unusual for the ADV style of bike- probably makes you look like a more serious biker.... And if it works, I'm fine with it. Good to hear that your windshield combo works well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've only had my '17 now for a week so take this with a grain of salt. My stats: 6' 2", 34" inseam, 200lb, HJC i70 helmet. I tried all 3 positions on the windscreen and have found the middle to be best for me. I read one of the earlier post about putting a washer/spacer on the top bolt to push the top of the windscreen out more. I did that and it did help but not enough. I ended up putting a 1/4" spacer on the top bolts and a 1/8th spacer on the bottom and that actually made a big difference for me. Is it enough to make me regret ordering the Givi Airflow last night? No. Could it be a simple and cheap compromise for someone else if it makes them happier because it's more tolerable? Absolutely.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Madstad 22"........👍👌
Riding down I10 yesterday at 80mph talking to SWMBO in the intercom....no buffeting, no problem😎

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
If you haven’t installed something similar to “Augustus Deflectors”.. do it! Here’s a pic of them on my 650 which was the final piece to managing bad wind on that bike.

With the Givi AF and these deflectors that bike was perfect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have you done any test riding with and without the handguards installed? I was wondering if the handguards contributed to the disrupted airflow and turbulence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
I've installed the Givi airflow on my 2020 v strom 650. I'm 6ft5 (196cms) with a rather long torso. I have to say up until 90kms/h (55mph) I'm quite well protected from the wind and the buffeting is not that noticeable. However of you go to motorway speeds- 110+km/h (70+mph) I still get serious buffeting, no wind blast, just buffeting (which is worse than windblast!!).

Another issue I have is the instability at high speeds. Since my givi airflow screen is set on its highest setting, it catches a hell of a lot of wind, heavily unsettling the front balance. It seems as if my frontal area has a mind of its own, very scary.

One last grievance, and it's a biggie, is the vibrations in the screen. As I said, the screen is in its highest setting, but lowering this doesn't change the vibration. Basically what happens is this. When coming up to 5000 rpm, the screen starts to vibrate and resonate quite drastically. From 5000 to 6000 rpm, the noise coming off the vibrations is nearly unbearable. After 6000 rpm it dimishes.

Any advice on these issues? I've thought of an extra spoiler on my airflow to reduce the buffeting at higher speeds, but then again this won't do much good for the stability.
I don't know what to do with the vibrations, they're driving me crazy.
Any advice is welcome.

Cheers
Laurent

·
Registered
867 Posts
When you purchase a Madstad, they need measurements to manufacture a windshield to your needs. They enclose fitting instructions with your windshield and, following them, you end up with a great "fit". The windshield works perfectly with the stock handguards and Ricks mirror extenders👍. At speed, I can ride with my Nolan face shield open😎

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any advice on these issues? I've thought of an extra spoiler on my airflow to reduce the buffeting at higher speeds, but then again this won't do much good for the stability.
Any advice is welcome.
You might want to try a spoiler. I don't have the Givi but I have a Madstad. Although I ordered the size that fits my height correctly (according to their charts) I found it to be a bit too low for me even at its highest position. I didn't want to add a spoiler but it was cheaper than returning it for a taller windshield and I think, in the end, it works better this way.

I was just out the other day doing some test rides with and without the spoiler since I still prefer to not have one attached but, to me, the difference was too great to not keep it installed. I believe that the spoiler is doing more than just creating a taller windshield. What I mean is that I can have the Madstad at it's lowest height and set the spoiler at it's lowest height, as well, (now I'm not looking through the spoiler but over it) and it's still directing the airflow up and over my head in a way that the Madstad alone, even at it's highest position, doesn't do.

Not only that, but I believe that the structure of the spoiler is adding to the stiffness of the top of the windshield, which is causing less vibration and noise. Once again, I know it's not a Givi like yours but it may be worth a shot to see if a spoiler can help make the top of the windshield a bit more rigid. This combo is working very well for me now and as soon as I get my side deflectors fabricated and installed, I think I'll be good to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,
I've installed the Givi airflow on my 2020 v strom 650. I'm 6ft5 (196cms) with a rather long torso. I have to say up until 90kms/h (55mph) I'm quite well protected from the wind and the buffeting is not that noticeable. However of you go to motorway speeds- 110+km/h (70+mph) I still get serious buffeting, no wind blast, just buffeting (which is worse than windblast!!).

Another issue I have is the instability at high speeds. Since my givi airflow screen is set on its highest setting, it catches a hell of a lot of wind, heavily unsettling the front balance. It seems as if my frontal area has a mind of its own, very scary.

One last grievance, and it's a biggie, is the vibrations in the screen. As I said, the screen is in its highest setting, but lowering this doesn't change the vibration. Basically what happens is this. When coming up to 5000 rpm, the screen starts to vibrate and resonate quite drastically. From 5000 to 6000 rpm, the noise coming off the vibrations is nearly unbearable. After 6000 rpm it dimishes.

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers
Laurent
Laurent, I have a 2019 650 with a Madstad. I bought the bike used, so I'm not sure of the size of the Madstad (I think it's the 18" screen). I'm 6'2" with a long torso also. With the screen at its highest setting and tilted all the way back, I get no buffeting at 75 or even 80 (where other issues like some vibes and side wind are an issue). I can cruise at 70 and turn my head to the side, etc. and the air doesn't 'grab' my helmet, etc. My friend on his Tracer GT is impressed when we swap bikes. It's kind of goofy looking, but it seems to work well... Jon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks for the comments. It seems the Madstad is a popular option amongst strom riders. It's a bit more difficult to get hold of them in Europe, and there's no way of testing them either.
@jon: did you find a way to get rid of the vibrations?

Kind regards,
Laurent

·
Registered
21 Posts
Laurent, the vibes have gotten better (bought the bike with 1K miles, now at 3500) they were awful at first at 70-75. A combination of a 16 tooth front sprocket, Pro Grip grips and cushy gloves as well as my shop tightening everything has it fairly vibe free at 75. Probably also breaking in. The 16 tooth swap was really noticeable, both on the highway and back roads. 4th and 5th gear are really more useable. 80 mph is still a bit vibey but a lot of that is probably mixed with wind, buffeting from other vehicles, and the fact that the 650 is about as aerodynamic as a dump truck... albeit a nice, fun dump truck :)...

·
Registered
288 Posts
@Laurentbr,
I'm 180 cm tall. I had an 18" Madstad on my 2017, and it was clearly not tall enough for me. Before ordering, I actually called Madstad and spoke to a person about the sizing, so I hoped it would be correct. I ended up returning that screen and getting a 20" version. Even from Canada, the shipping and 15% restocking fee made the replacement quite expensive.

If you go with a Madstad, I personally recommend that you get the next size up from the size the chart recommends. As per my post above, I also found the Madstad needs an additional spoiler lip to really work well. I think my experience matches that of @air-ick above.

Each person's experience is different, but windscreens are expensive, and changing them out is an expensive hobby.

Reactions: Webfors
381 - 396 of 396 Posts