StromTrooper banner

361 - 380 of 396 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your deflectors need to be bigger to have enough of an impact. They are tall enough but they do not turn away from the bike enough to effectively divert the wind out to the side and not straight under your helmet. The nice thing is that these deflectors are easy to make changes.
Thanks much Jhat - of course your work has inspired me! Your suggestion will be my next tweak on the project...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here's my wind deflector prototype. Made a template from cardboard then made it out of a plastic tub with a heat gun. Attached with velcro. Too flexible for the long term but I'll be testing it out soon. Only did one side so hopefully if it works I'll be able to tell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sensei,
Did you accurately measure your Madstad or guesstimate it?
I am just over 6'1" and I get good helmet airflow over ny 22" Madstad.
I used the Madstad instructions and had SWMBO measure it while I sat on the bike. I then installed it using the Madstad angle guide paper and its been perfect.
Yes, I measured according to their instruction and went for the 22" first. I wanted a little more protection, so I figured the 24" would do it. But no. I've even tried it with a Touratech clip-on extender just to see what that would be like, but it's no use going any bigger. There's too much air coming in at the sides. That's why I'm back at testing the Givi Airflow again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
TL/DR: Love the Madstad for removing the wind noise and buffeting, a little distracted by the headlight reflection. If anyone has ideas to reduce the reflection I'm interested to hear them!

Installed a Madstad 20" on a 2019 wee yesterday. Very simple install, solved my wind noise problem, much less head buffeting. Ordered direct and they shipped very quickly in the US.

The bracket is mounted at the highest point and I've tried all the lean angles but I have distracting headlight reflection. It was very cloudy yesterday early evening and the bottom 2-3" (5-8cm) has a reflective patch where the headlight bounces light upwards. The reflection is lessened by the frosted finish but for night riding it's still a nuisance. The top and side edges of the windscreen also emit light where the light hits the edges and diffracts, causing a lighted halo/border around the windscreen. It is kinda cool but I'd rather my pupils were fully dialated and focusing on the road ahead at night.

I notice the big angled black plastic part of the stock windshield is used to reflect the light away from the stock screen, so I may do something like that. Or use some electrical tape, or take it to a window tint place if they have any non-reflective matte tint. The halo effect may be addressable with a black permanent marker (sharpie) along the bottom edge.

Any cures for the headlight reflection? I don't intend on a lot of night riding but it will happen.

·
Registered
180 Posts
OK just tested out my makeshift wind deflector a few posts back in this thread. Amazingly it had enough body to it that it didn't flap around at all. Also, it clearly worked. I only had one on the right hand side. Not a giant difference but definitely a difference - less wind blast below my right ninny. More wind blast under my left ninny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I figured out my buffeting was definitely coming from underneath my helmet. Wind hitting my stomach and coming up. I did put a madstad on and I like it, but when I place my hand under the grip towards the front of the bike the buffeting went away. The noise was also greatly reduced. So thanks to Jhat’s template I made some winglets exactly like he said. They turned out great! Thanks again Jhat for sharing your good work with us. It’s definitely a game changer for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Madstad puts the same sot of winglets on for the CB500x ....and it sure works.

Wish they made something for the CBF1000

Reactions: Webfors

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased a couple gromets from lowes nut and bolt bin and lowered mine all the way down and shimmed the bottom about 10mm so it tilts back and get more airflow under and over. I came from a nekkid and was burning up

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used a heat gun. You have to be very careful when using a heat gun. Over heating will cause blistering. Practice on some scrap pieces first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TL/DR: Love the Madstad for removing the wind noise and buffeting, a little distracted by the headlight reflection. If anyone has ideas to reduce the reflection I'm interested to hear them!

Installed a Madstad 20" on a 2019 wee yesterday. Very simple install, solved my wind noise problem, much less head buffeting. Ordered direct and they shipped very quickly in the US.

The bracket is mounted at the highest point and I've tried all the lean angles but I have distracting headlight reflection. It was very cloudy yesterday early evening and the bottom 2-3" (5-8cm) has a reflective patch where the headlight bounces light upwards. The reflection is lessened by the frosted finish but for night riding it's still a nuisance. The top and side edges of the windscreen also emit light where the light hits the edges and diffracts, causing a lighted halo/border around the windscreen. It is kinda cool but I'd rather my pupils were fully dialated and focusing on the road ahead at night.

I notice the big angled black plastic part of the stock windshield is used to reflect the light away from the stock screen, so I may do something like that. Or use some electrical tape, or take it to a window tint place if they have any non-reflective matte tint. The halo effect may be addressable with a black permanent marker (sharpie) along the bottom edge.

Any cures for the headlight reflection? I don't intend on a lot of night riding but it will happen.
Did you ever have luck with getting rid of the light on the Madstad? I tried a Madstad on a 4 day trip last weekend on a ride up in the mountains. Was able to find a spot I liked with it raked all the way back. However, I found myself out after dark on back logging roads (dirt and paved) and couldn't see the road well at all. Not only was it bright at the bottom of the screen, but the edges lit up all the way around like some special effect. And because the screen was catching the light, all the dirt on the screen was very prevalent. In the end I had to ask my wife to ride in front as I just couldn't see past the screen well enough to feel safe on the goat trails in the dark. Once we were back in the city it was better, but in the end I find the Madstad screen is a safety concern at night, especially in the dark back roads.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did you ever have luck with getting rid of the light on the Madstad?
Not yet, it's on the list of projects though. I'm going to order some matte black outdoor vinyl film and put it on the lower 1/4 on the driver side, and around the bottom edge. Getting the edge covered should stop the fiber optic effect.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First time taking the 650 out after installing Barkbuster VPS handguards and a tank bag on Sunday. Was on local roads up to 70mph and no helmet buffeting at all. I still get wind noise, this isn't a Gold Wing, but it no longer feels like my head is being kicked around. I'm 6' 0" (183cm), 190# (86kg) for reference.

• 20" madstad screen (full up, full tilt towards rider)
  • mirror extenders
  • Aprila style mirrors
  • fitted riding jacket
  • barkbuster vps handguards + Mosko nomad tank bag

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
First time taking the 650 out after installing Barkbuster VPS handguards and a tank bag on Sunday. Was on local roads up to 70mph and no helmet buffeting at all. I still get wind noise, this isn't a Gold Wing, but it no longer feels like my head is being kicked around. I'm 6' 0" (183cm), 190# (86kg) for reference.

• 20" madstad screen (full up, full tilt towards rider)
  • mirror extenders
  • Aprila style mirrors
  • fitted riding jacket
  • barkbuster vps handguards + Mosko nomad tank bag
Never thought about a tank bag helping with lower fairing air... makes perfect sense. Might be time to finally join the tank bag club.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Experimenting with my new Wee, I tried taking the screen off altogether. Beautiful, clean air. Putting the screen back on, the buffeting became very obvious.

For context, I live in NSW Australia and I've come from a naked bike, so climate and habit both encourage riding without weather protection. I might buy myself an AirFlow before next winter but for the moment, screen-free is the way to go.
TheG. I am also in Australia in Port Macquarie. I have a Givi Airflow on my DL650 2017/8 and the problem I have with mine is the buffeting under the screen onto my stomach. Ok up to 90km/h but over that it gets annoying. I am going to try the deflector that there is a pattern for from a member close to this post. He has drawn a pattern of his deflector.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Y'all are going to think I'm crazy and it's not the reason I bought this mount (adventuretech.biz/richland rick over-the-dash ram mount for 2017+ wee). I bought it to mount my phone. But I've noticed it has pretty much eliminated the buffeting I get at the very top of my helmet. I don't know why or how--maybe the fraction of an inch it spaces the shield out, maybe it's the disruption of the airflow that does come underneath the windshield. I'm probably 5'9" 5'10" with a 31 inch inseam. Getting these things just right is just voodoo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
TheG. I am also in Australia in Port Macquarie. I have a Givi Airflow on my DL650 2017/8 and the problem I have with mine is the buffeting under the screen onto my stomach. Ok up to 90km/h but over that it gets annoying. I am going to try the deflector that there is a pattern for from a member close to this post. He has drawn a pattern of his deflector.
I have since made a 3mm perspex/acrylic version and it works just great. Made the bike enjoyable to ride.

361 - 380 of 396 Posts