StromTrooper banner

321 - 335 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was hoping you were going to expand on your homemade solution!

How do you find the AirFlow? Do you get any headlight reflections?
Airflow is better than original, but definitely not great. Well, my 2014 strom had great pleasure of airflow screen, but not this one.
Reflection is a Little annoying, but I usually ride in daylight.
I will also keep working on original screen. Think it looks better 😁

·
Registered
98 Posts
Being that I am always the tinkering type of person, I have made larger side spoilers out of acrylic still using the Velcro mountings. I have not ridden with them yet but I will report back with my findings.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here are the latest spoilers I have tried:

I rode with them approximately 200 miles in some pretty strong wind on all kinds of roads. If the air is really chopped up (heavy traffic on the interstate for example) the air is not smooth on the head but I am not sure it ever would be without an absolutely huge windscreen. The larger spoilers definitely provides a larger pocket of relatively calm air for my head and body relative to the smaller spoilers which was more than the stock fairing.

Something that surprised me was how improved the latest spoilers were when riding in a strong crosswind, much smoother than I remember the bike being with the smaller spoilers.

I have approximately 2500 miles on my prior small black spoilers and I thought they were a strong improvement over stock. The new larger acrylic spoilers seem very promising but I do not have enough miles to really develop an opinion. Snow is forecasted for later this week so my season may have ended with today’s ride.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Here are the latest spoilers I have tried:

I rode with them approximately 200 miles in some pretty strong wind on all kinds of roads. If the air is really chopped up (heavy traffic on the interstate for example) the air is not smooth on the head but I am not sure it ever would be without an absolutely huge windscreen. The larger spoilers definitely provides a larger pocket of relatively calm air for my head and body relative to the smaller spoilers which was more than the stock fairing.

Something that surprised me was how improved the latest spoilers were when riding in a strong crosswind, much smoother than I remember the bike being with the smaller spoilers.

I have approximately 2500 miles on my prior small black spoilers and I thought they were a strong improvement over stock. The new larger acrylic spoilers seem very promising but I do not have enough miles to really develop an opinion. Snow is forecasted for later this week so my season may have ended with today’s ride.
Very similar to the “Augustus Deflectors” I had on my 2015 650 which worked great!

I’m no handy man, but would love to learn how to make those.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am very pleased to how well they work. First I made a paper template to get the overall shape I wanted, it took several tries to get the shape I basically wanted. I bought a small acrylic sheet from a home store (Menards), they had two thicknesses, the first looked very flexible, the second looks pretty close to 1/4 thick which I used. Probably overkill in hindsight but I am happy with the results.

The acrylic is covered with protective plastic which makes it pretty easy to draw on with a marker. I traced the paper template on to the acrylic and cut it out on a bandsaw. I cleaned up the edges with a random orbit sander before stripping off the protective plastic.

The next part destroyed my first attempt, bending it with heat as I got it too hot and it bubbled. I used a plumber’s propane torch to heat up the part of the plastic that I wanted to bend until it was hot enough to bend by hand. I only heated along an imaginary bending line and it bent very straight without any forms. Simple leather gloves was sufficient protection for my hands. Finally I cleaned up the edges with the flame to restore the shine that had been lost on the edges by cutting and sanding.

I am holding the spoilers on by Velcro so no holes in the bodywork. The Velcro holds on very well as the spoilers are quite hard to remove.

Total cost for the acrylic and Velcro was around $23 and I still have half of the acrylic sheet left.

Edit: My first spoiler trial was a $10 trash can cut with tin snips. I used the curve in the can for the curve in the spoiler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Experimenting with my new Wee, I tried taking the screen off altogether. Beautiful, clean air. Putting the screen back on, the buffeting became very obvious.

For context, I live in NSW Australia and I've come from a naked bike, so climate and habit both encourage riding without weather protection. I might buy myself an AirFlow before next winter but for the moment, screen-free is the way to go.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Screen

I live in TX and it gets hot here in the Summer. I found the stock screen on my 2017 in the summer was "OK" for tooling around but experienced mild buffeting only at speed.
I bought a Madstad for the cooler weather and it transformed the bike ride. Not cheap but I really like it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
wow lots of great info here. I have had my 2017 xt for 2 seasons now. Tried a Vstream.... didn't quite do it for me after a trip to Tuk I ordered a 20 " Madstad. Okay now we are talking, still some noise but less than before. So I start to tinker. Tried a lot of different things, even making higher brackets for my stock windscreen, and for the Vstream. I didn't get buffeting but it was still kinda of noisy. One day I decided to take off the mirrors..... not a sound, wow, all this time all that noise was coming from the mirrors. So I made mirror extenders, which helped, then I tried a set of Ken Sean mirrors with my mirror extenders. Very close to being what I want. I might try the 22" Madstad. All that being said i am still going to try some of the little "winglets" that some of you have made. Excellent job on those BTW. I am 5'8" and have a 30 inseam. Two helmets, Icon Variant and Icon Carbon, both seem to be the same for noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed an 18” madstad light gray and went on 70 mile ride 55 degrees. I’m very happy with. I’m 5’9”. Pushed the wind around me and looks nice on the bike. Not too big. Line of sight is a couple inches above the screen in the upper position. The 20 might have been a better choice but thought the proportions would bigger than I was looking for.

321 - 335 of 335 Posts