·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just being prepared.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You will need a Air-Flow one this one. and that from the 1000 won't fit. It is not the same. The holes won't match.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hoi,

just got my new 2017 V-Strom 2 days ago. After 350km even on the highway I can safely say that the windscreen discussion will be very different to the recent one.
The buffeting of the 2016 which resulted in terrible headshaking is totally gone. I'm 6ft with an inseam of 34 and drive the lowest windscreen position- unfortunately can' t yet change the angle of the windscreen - it is fixed, even the dealer doesn't know why .
The airflow hits me at my shoulders which off course results in some noise , which is well treated by earplugs. Pretty good!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Windscreen issue

Hi,
took my 2017 V-Strom 650 2 days ago from my dealer.
Fantastic bike so far. But there is an issue with the windscreen: as Suzuki announced it it should be possible to flip the windscreen to 3 different angles. But it is not! My dealer didn't know about it (actually did not know that the windscreen should be flippable) knew no solution. With a Second V-Strom at his Shop the windscreen was not adjustable either so that I started to wonder wether I had misread something.
Has anybody had similar issues and a Solution? :wink2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
no they only announced it to be possiple on the 1000.. it is adjustable tho. there are 3 diffrent mounting wholes for the screen it self

·
Registered
152 Posts
You're dealer had to know that the windscreen of the 2017 V-Strom 650 isn't flappable in 3 different angles. You can only adjust the height of the screen. Only of the 1000 you change the angles of the screen

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never underestimate the expanse of a dealer's lack of knowledge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I sold my 2011 V Strom 650 and bought the new 2017 V Strom 650. This new bike has way less wind buffeting than my 2011 did! The windshield has three different height adjustment holes. I am 6' 1" with an inseam of 34 inches. I put the windshield on the highest hole and added a 1/8" thick rubber spacer on each side between the windshield and the top bolt which made the windshield stand up about 3/4 of an inch straighter at the top. I had the bike up to 100 mph and the wind buffeting is about zero now. I am wearing an HJC CL 17 helmet. The wind is so smooth and perfect I do not believe I am going to purchase an aftermarket windshield.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I only have 50 miles on my 2017. I'm coming from a '82 Yamaha Maxim with no screen, so take my words with that in mind.
I found excellent results with the screen at the lowest setting. I'm 6'1" with 35" inseam.
The wind hits me right about the neck, but the buffering is minor.
Crouching to get all the way into the dead zone proves even calmer.
Standing up into the clear zone gives smooth air.
Maybe in colder weather, or after the first wet ride I'll change it, but for now it stays on low.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I tried raising the screen to the top setting. Wind noise and buffering increased drastically.
The boundary zone hits me right square in the top of the face shield. The wind noise is now thundering claps of buffeting air slamming my helmet.
The provlem Is not as much the physical buffeting, but the sound is unbearable.
Going to try to shim it a little more upright to see if that helps.
Otherwise I will drop it back down until I can get a better solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My first good ride on my 2017 ..... was happy that I remembered ear plugs. Big difference from Givi Air Flow on my 2014 to this lower height screen. My head isn't like a bobble head doll but the noise is incredibly unbearable on the highest position. Yes it's much better with ear plugs but the Givi Air Flow was much better for me. When they are made for this model I will get one. 5'9" and 30" inseam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been talking to Madstad for a couple of months now trying to get a bracket and windscreen that will fit my 2017 650, but so far no luck. Does anyone have a different windscreen installed that is an improvement over the stock? I'm 5' 10" with a 31" inseam.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
I note that MRA has 3 aftermarket windshields planned for the 2017 Vstrom 650 (their Vario-touring screen, Multi-X screen, and basic touring windshield) for 'provisional delivery' now (whatever that means) for folks in Europe...the pricing on their website is in UK Pounds...so hopefully we'll have some options by mid-Summer in the US. Like others have said, i'd really like to get a Givi Airflow for the 2017 but I've not heard anything regarding availability for our bikes yet. The MRA looks like a good option in the absence of the Givi, but i'd love to hear opinions from others. Also, if anyone finds one of either brand please let us know!

Thanks!
dh

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have an Air Flow screen on my 2015 650 which I am trading in for a new Yellow 650X and I dont think it would take much to remove the mounts for the sliding outer screen and get them mounted onto the stock screen for the 2017 model. This way you would still have the stock screen fitted but also the main outer screen from the Air Flow.

1 - 20 of 396 Posts