StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this is just paranoid thinking on my part but in the past my more 'exotic' motos have been effected by this. With my brand new V2 I filled at a Husky yesterday with premium and saw that all Husky brands contain up to 10% Ethanol. Someone tell me, no worries.:yikes:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
No worries. If you store it (winter) , then add an additive that will prevent issues. Otherwise , ride!:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see now the manual says up to 10%. Wonder what happens after 10%?
Seem to remember there was an actual rubber part dissolving theory floating around. Plus, with dissolving dirt, passing it thru very fine injectors could be a problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Choose another brand. Canadian law requires only 5% average. Chevron 94 has no ethanol, in fact I am going to fill my container for the lawn mowers this morning. I use only Chevron 94 in my motorcycles and small engines.

·
Registered
449 Posts
No worries most gas here in North Carolina contains "up to" 10% ethanol and I've had no issues. I think all manufacturers have this in mind when building things nowadays.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
There is nothing wrong with E10 (10% ethanol alcohol & 90% gasoline). As noted above, it can absorb more moisture than pure gasoline, so use a stabilizer during long term storage. Does your bike really need premium gas? If your owners manual says so, do it. Otherwise you're just wasting money. In the U.S. and Canada regular is 87 A.K.I. (antiknock index, which is the numerical average of Research Octane Number and Motor Octane Number). Other countries use the RON which shows a higher number for the same gas.

E15 is not recommended in vehicles made before 2001 due to the rubber compounds in the fuel system. It is problematic in vehicles made later except flex fuel vehicles made for mixtures up to 85%.

Ethanol does reduce gas mileage. It also is the least toxic way to raise the octane and to reduce carbon monoxide emissions.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the closest Chevron here is an hour away. I am, after all, in the lost town of Nelson BC.:yikes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is one in Trail I think haha.

·
Registered
240 Posts
regular gas...no 10% crap

Just talked to a repair shop for small engines. He was telling me how the 10% stuff is killing small engines. He suggested using ONLY non-etho gas. I am now going to do exactly that on my tractors/powerwasher/old KLR/and chainsaws. He mentioned that base gaskets were going on almost everything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My son and I rode up to Glacier National Park last summer on our Kawasaki Concours 14's. Coming back thru Idaho we stopped in a gas station right before riding Lolo Pass. I noticed 2 pumps had premium and above one it said snowmobile. I was totally baffled that it was premium without ethanol. I was actually afraid to put any in my bike, it has had a steady diet of ethanol for 30 something thousand miles and I was a long way from home to try something new in it. Being from Houston ethanol is all you can find down here and I actually thought it was that way everywhere else. I hate to admit it but I rarely read anything on the pump but premium or unleaded. :confused:

·
Registered
266 Posts
E10 is not 10% but no more than 10%. Most distributors us 7% so there is less chance of phase separation.

10% ethanol.90%gas and even 7% ethanol/93% gas will undergo phase separation and water absorption in as little as six weeks and for sure in 90 days due to heating and cooling of the gas tank. In a stable environment it might not but in no way can a motorcycle tank be considered a stable environment. Phase separation means the possibility of straight alcohol going into an engine...... Not good

The second issue is the generation of acidity in the oil. Buffers in the oil wear out over time and the result is high PH working on parts of the engine. Not good.

There are other issues but those or the engine killers.

Traditionally no higher than E7 should be used but the EPA has E15 as their top agenda.

You should be afraid.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I cannot verify this story, but a friend of a friend who repairs lawn mowers and small tractors had one with quite mysterious problems. Sent the E10 in the tank off for testing. Came back E21. Personally, I have had no problems other than reduced mpg. I use Shell from that list sometimes posted of high-quality gas brands. Run E0, when available. I think FL recently dropped the E10 requirement, so maybe easier to find, soon.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I have to disagree that putting premium 0e in your tank is a waste of money. I find my gas mileage goes up and this offsets the extra cost. If someone would sell 0e with lower octane i would buy it, but who does that? Chevrons 0e is 94.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts