StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
In Ontario, I would not buy a Ford other than an F150 or old Crown Vic unless the price was great. I have seen too many with rust and paint issues that happened well before they should have. We have a very harsh corrosion environment in Southern Ontario. I used to buy Euro cars (VW, BMW) but the last 15 years have shown me the electrical system and suspension longevity of Japanese developed cars. (Subaru and Acura)
I hear the Fusion is pretty good, never been in one. Is it a 4 or 6? I'm currently driving an old Kia rental car....first Korean car I have driven in a while. It is pretty good. ( not a model sold in NA) If you get a good bread and butter model Ford, I'd bet you get good service out of it

·
Registered
55 Posts
A mercury grand marquis is a whole different world than a modern ford, same with a crown vic.
Agree 100%, ran a 97 Grand Marquis, loaded, comfy, RWD (= fun in the snow when you turn off traction control). P71 package CV or GM = "cop" package, dual exhaust, better airflow, more HP, stiffer suspension, better alternator, few other things. Served me well when I had 3 car seats in the back seat. Safe car also

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
ANY brand can have problems. Honda and Toyota built a reputation over a few decades. Well deserved. But the last 10 years or so for both are NOT what built that reputation.

I consider Hyundai and Kia the "Honda and Toyota of old" in todays market. That is a compliment to them.

Meanwhile, Ford actually has been a lot better in the last 10 years than they were. You will find that Ford especially, and GM to a lesser degree, have been VERY forward with recalls. Toyota especially has been caught trying to cover up problems...

I think the Fusion is a good car. Cheaper than a Honda or Toyota, but also didn't cost as much so that is part of it. 6 years old is that sweet spot where if it has low mileage it should give years of good service. But that applies to most cars too!

·
Super Moderator
16,228 Posts
More realistically, this perception is why the inflated values.

I'm ok with skipping the Toyota tax for something just or almost as good.
So how is it a perception, when these 2 car companies are up there as the highest rated in reliability and longevity year after year?

Edit: meant to throw GM some kudos as they have really changed their game and image, matter of fact I would go out and buy a new Chevrolet truck were I in the market to spend crazy money.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
2011 Kia Optima EX.....2 small recalls, good gas mileage and dependable as a hammer. Heated and cooled seats and a Mafia sized trunk too........
The trunk space is crazy. My wife keeps 2 huge roller hockey bags in there full of yoga mats and blocks for the classes she teaches. In the summer when she drives the audi convertible one has to go in the back seat

·
Registered
21,983 Posts
I've bought only a couple cars/tucks brand new, but, for the past 30 years, the average mileage at purchase has been 200k , I always have my eye out for a cheap, but solid car/truck, best cost/mile vehicles I've had were 3 series BMWs an '82 320i for $700 had 300k I put another 160k over 4 years till it got rear ended :-( then a '86 325e for $300, I put 15k on one year, my last vehicle was a '96 Grand Cherokee, had 150k when I bought it for $2k, drove 3 year, now I have an '02 Silverado paid $4k 2 years ago, it had 195k now 225k, expect to have it at least another year

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So how is it a perception, when these 2 car companies are up there as the highest rated in reliability and longevity year after year?

Edit: meant to throw GM some kudos as they have really changed their game and image, matter of fact I would go out and buy a new Chevrolet truck were I in the market to spend crazy money.
JD Power surveys don't motivate me. They're basically "participation trophies" for the auto industry.

You're not actually disagreeing with me. What I said was that there is a perception amongst some (not including Yours Truly) that a couple brands are magically better than the others and thus worth a large premium even used. Whether they are really "better" is not the point. That perception can, and clearly does, by itself drive up prices. Not a game I care to play.

Much more meaningful would be Consumer Reports ratings. I don't see anyone posting those results.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm probably not buying the Fusion, anyway. I feel I owe it to myself to look at some more options. Also, I don't think I can afford it. $7000-ish may be pocket change to some of you guys but it's not for me.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
One more observation: Both Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace listings seem to be flooded with dealers pretending to be "owners" selling their cars.

This is very annoying if you only want to see private-party sales. Filter for "for sale by owner" and you still get dozens of cars that are obviously sitting at shady used car lots.

I don't really want to go through a dealer if I can avoid it. I'd rather not pay the inevitable dealer markup.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Whenever I decide to buy something I look at and join online forums (like I did here, for example). That gets me more info on the bike/car/truck, common problems, reasonable solutions, mods, whatever. If you study these enough you can shorten your shortlist - kind of how I ended up with a V-Strom instead of a Varadero 1000 or Tiger 955i. If you get comfortable with a car choice or two and a good forum like Stromtroopers for them, you might find your next car in that forum's For Sale section. I was a member of Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club for a year before buying our Rover 75. Stuff sold on forums is often in good shape with repairs and mods already done.

Yeah, I avoid dealers like the plague. I did get our truck from a dealer, though, because they couldn't sell it, wanted it gone and practically gave it to me (less than half their initial asking price).

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I've also looked at the USAA car buying service (being a member) and AAA (same story).

To put it diplomatically, they are, well, seemingly not designed for cheapskates like me.

Basically anything on wheels made after 2010 is going to seem like a starship compared to what I'm driving now. That was my experience when I rented a 2016 Toyota Camry on vacation (in Canada btw!) a few years ago. Unfortunately I can't do Toyota money when it comes to owning.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I'm currently running a 2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 extended truck. Bought it used in the summer of 2007, with 25,000 miles on it. It's had a few issues, but I like it a lot. Especially the heated leather Barco-loungers. Now at 198,800. My last vehicle was a 1990 Toyota 4x4 Extended cab truck. It got to 361,000 miles when I sold it, which I still regret.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Relatively late models, low miles is how I roll too. Bought a loaded 2012 CRV with 18K (bonafide) from a female driver for a great price, 18K. >50 K problem free. Should go forever. Problem is I get bored of vehicles and want change. I do like this ride though, I'll get past my impulse and just run the hell out of it, I'm happy with how its set up+options (and LACK of touchscreen) suits me, hard to find anything newish without one, I do not like touchscreens, tablets netc, prefer buttons

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I keep this picture for these threads. My old 1995 Tacoma 2 years ago. It still is running. It's around 450,000 miles now.
If you want to really impress me, show me the paint.

I wouldn't expect it to be showroom-new, but if it still looks half decent after 25 years I'll be properly amazed.

That's one of the biggest issues with the old Grand Marquis. The Peelformance White paint is literally falling off. With a few relatively minor repairs, mechanically it could probably go another 100k easily. But it looks like crap and would be way too expensive to repaint properly.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
If you want to really impress me, show me the paint.

I wouldn't expect it to be showroom-new, but if it still looks half decent after 25 years I'll be properly amazed.

That's one of the biggest issues with the old Grand Marquis. The Peelformance White paint is literally falling off. With a few relatively minor repairs, mechanically it could probably go another 100k easily. But it looks like crap and would be way too expensive to repaint properly.
Paint, we don't need no stinking paint. Mine was grey, but most of the clear coat on the hood and roof is gone now. It never was garaged, rarely washed, and never waxed. It was my work truck, but I retired it and switched to a lower mileage Camry I picked up cheap.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
Don't be afraid of looking at used cars on Dealer lots. Find a reputable dealer of course, meaning I would start by considering franchised new car dealers. Or the Mega used car centers like CarMax. They tend to stand behind their sales. Private party sales can be sketchy. Dealers buy at wholesale, and private party prices are often higher than the same car and be bought for at a dealer. Dealers can do all the paperwork and there won't be any surprises with the title.

BUT...when trying to buy cheap you often have to go to smaller lots or private sales. Honestly, stuff like a branded title just isn't important when buying in the $5000 range. So drive the car and look it over and take your chances!

21 - 40 of 74 Posts