StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
.....been chasing this thing like a neurotic for a couple years. Everyone's been a help, and I'm leaning towards "it's normal". BUT.....I finally was able to capture the sound pretty clearly (every other time I've tried, the engine just drowned it out in terms of the video camera). this time, with a new camera, I hear at as plain as day.

TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP V-STROM - YouTube

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Only opens the youtube sign up page for me.

Can you open the vid yourself then copy the address bar link and paste it here in the thread?

Not all of us are signed up for youtube [I'm signed up for so many forums and stuff already- I can't keep track of them all, and the damned passwords :headbang: ].

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Here it is -- just put the string of characters after v= in a youtube tag pair like so, only use square brackets instead of parentheses:
Code:
(youtube)svh7KATBvm8(/youtube)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Thanks for getting it up so we can all see/hear it GM.

Max, I put the headphones on to listen to it without background noises from around the house.

It almost sounds like tappet noise to me- but Greywolf or Blacklab would probably be the two most qualified to offer a more accurate suggestion [no offence meant to the other mechanically skilled members here].

Tappets would normally tap all the time if they were out of adjustment though, so maybe cam chain. :confused:

You are not hearing things though so your sanity is no longer in question. :biggrinjester:

If it were my bike I would not be in a panic about it but would still be concerned it may become a problem in time.

Given the reliability of these engines through the years and in the different models [SV650-Gladdius- etc.] it may just be a "normal" noise most of us don't hear during the course of our riding.

At least now you have posted up something that people can give feedback on. :fineprint:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ok - I aint no expert

if its excess valve shim gap you may be getting a dynamic bounce effect casuing the mechancial noise to show up at some rpms and not at other rpms

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
It sounds just like my bike.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Where you are holding the camera is very close to where the intake for the air box resides. I think what you may be hearing is the intake noise as each cylinder draws its air. It sounds just like my DL1000.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah that is not a normal noise and I dont think I could just don the ear plugs and live with it. There is something a miss in there.
Steve

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I distinctly hear the suspect noise in that video. It's very familiar, as I've listened to it for over 50,000 miles on my bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If in any doubt check your cam chain adjusters ..I had the front one sticking a bit ..and the back one was slapping ..had the 2 replaced with new cam chains etc at the same time and then found out there was a recall on the rear unit which had not been done on mine..
Has now ..
as Grey Wolf says they are all a bit noisy anyway in the motor but luckily my clutch rattle drowns out most of it lol !
85,000 klms on mine now ...

still pulls like a George Michael in a toilet block..:yikes:

·
Registered
710 Posts
I believe current Suzuki v-twins originated with the '97 TL1000S, and, as all us owners of these bikes know, the tl stands for "ticks loudly". The sound is mostly attributed to the scissor gears on the cam shafts. Your bike sounds normal, even quieter than most.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, looks like it's "normal" for most of you, with only 2 saying the sound is unusual....and 1 saying it's completely wrong. I'll go with normal and ride it 'til it grenades. Hopefully, that's 100k miles from here. But seriously, with that amount of CLANK.....really not sure I can live with that much noise when cruising in the city. Maybe I'll start with some 2-Bros and see if that covers it up:mrgreen:

thanks for listening!:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Bump.

So this is seriously normal?? My bike does this too. Annoying as heck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts