StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

on the latest 160-miler round South Devon, the wife complained that the standard Suzi top-box was pushing her too far forward and jutting into her lower back.

Without spending loads of hard-earned, how do I make her more comfortable? (GIVI is an obvious choice but involves some GBP 200+ which I am reluctant to part with...)

I've figured that, provided I forego the ability to quickly unlock and remove it, I can discard the quick-lock attachments and simply bolt the top-box to the standard rack, only some 3 inches further back.

Anyone tried this?

Be safe...

M

·
0 Posts
adventure motostuff makes a rack that will let you move the box back further to accomodate a passenger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It works.... just done it myself... tried and tested

Replying to my own post... a sure sign of madness.

Having given it some thought I decided to try my own suggestion. It works beautifully and the wife is now happy again. If you have the same problem, here's the fix:

- Remove top-box from rack.
- Loosen and remove 4 bolts holding rack to frame.
- Remove all top-box fittings from rack (2 front mushrooms and quick-lock rear.)
- Remove all 6 white rubber damping plugs.
- Mark new position of top-box approx 3 inches further back than standard.
- Carefully measure and mark your drilling points on top-box underside.
- Drill 8mm holes at front and 6mm holes at the back
- Reassemble using original bolts through top-box floor, through rack and into frame at front, using original nuts and bolts into quicklock fitting mounting holes at rear.
- Enjoy long miles with less complaining from rear passenger...

Safe Riding

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Rory, I don't know how the Suzuki box mounts but my wife had the same complaint as yours. I have a Givi V46 and Givi mount. I made up a couple of simple flat plate brackets that move the mounting plate back 2 inches to give her more room. I'll post a picture when photobucket is finished their maintenance shut-down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
adventure motostuff makes a rack that will let you move the box back further to accomodate a passenger.

Can you post the link for the exact one you are describing?
Thanks ...Squeegee

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Rory, I don't know how the Suzuki box mounts but my wife had the same complaint as yours. I have a Givi V46 and Givi mount. I made up a couple of simple flat plate brackets that move the mounting plate back 2 inches to give her more room. I'll post a picture when photobucket is finished their maintenance shut-down.
I did the same thing. Moved the box back far enough to fit my camping stuff on the seat.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a GIVI top bag and while my wife hasnt started yet, I see it in my future.... Looking forward to pics from heavy...

Thank God for pics, they make things for people such as myself actually do somethings on his own. :)

·
Administrator
13,504 Posts
Heavy:

Where those on your bike this weekend? I didn't notice any difference to look at but if they move the case back that much it would be wonderful!

How long were the bars?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Heavy:

Where those on your bike this weekend? I didn't notice any difference to look at but if they move the case back that much it would be wonderful!

How long were the bars?

Thanks,

Tom
Yup, they were on. They're pretty much permanent. I can't even remember the overall length. I'll measure them up and let you know. If you want, I can cut you a couple of pieces of steel and you can get them from me.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I did what Heavy did and fabricated my own bracket to move the thing back an inch and a half. I did it slightly different way in that I created two plates that I attached on top of the mount plates. Then attached the plastic rack to the new plates.
That is exactly how I did it. The plastic Givi mount bolts on top of the extensions.

·
Administrator
13,504 Posts
Yup, they were on. They're pretty much permanent. I can't even remember the overall length. I'll measure them up and let you know. If you want, I can cut you a couple of pieces of steel and you can get them from me.
I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

..Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts