StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~50km ride, somewhat cool, +3C

Met another rider on a Suzuki. Seemed like a Strom.
Yellow jacket, ~6PM on Old Prescott Rd in Ottawa.
Anybody from the forum?

The roads are OK. Some dust and gravel, but not too bad.
I am not doing anything crazy anyways.

Too early to commute to work. Morning time temps are still negative.

Who else went out?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was out on Friday March 20th for a short ride, it was about +3 as well but overcast. My bike has a total of 11km on the odometer now!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Around freezing with dry roads so WEE HAW in the GTA

I road from Georgetown to Baden and back on Sunday but the roads were wet Monday so the WEE stayed in the garage. Today it was only -4 with dry roads and heated hand grips so WEE HAW!!!!

Cheers - Terry

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
are you guys not worried about ice in the mornings when it's still down into the negatives?

I could have road to work a few days now but it's always to cold in the mornings.

·
Super Moderator
13,093 Posts
Been riding since March 7th. Not quite commutinmg every day but fairly often. Coldest commuting day so far was -11°c or 12°f.

It's actually riskier riding around in freezing than -5 or worse as there is more likelyhood of the moisture in the air freezing on the road (especially bridges, etc) than when it is colder. I avoid commuting if it looks like chance of snow or rain. I think I have about 1,800 km since i got it out.

Here's a picture of my bike when I brought it out of the shed:

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,093 Posts
This is impressive! Riding in -11C is wild.
How do you dress?
Normal street clothes as base (ie when commuting suit, cotton shirt and tie but leave the suit jacket in my topcase, when casual whatever pants and a shirt,) over pants Aerostich TL Fleace pants. On top Warm n Safe heated jacket, over that a soft shell. Over all of that my Roadcrafter two-piece. (Same riding suit I wear in summer.) Boots are my Alpinestar Web Goretex. My socks are Tilley travel dress socks. (The socks used to be plenty warm for me but I think with age my circulation is getting worse so my feet were cold.) Gerbing heated gloves and a Givi Tall Windsheild and stock factory Handguards complete the ensemble.

..Tom

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My personal limit is about 1C on a short ride (30 min) or 4C on a long ride.
But I do not have a heated gear.
However my visor gets foggy at below 4-6C, no matter what I try (short of pinlock).

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Been riding since March 7th. Not quite commutinmg every day but fairly often. Coldest commuting day so far was -11°c or 12°f.

It's actually riskier riding around in freezing than -5 or worse as there is more likelyhood of the moisture in the air freezing on the road (especially bridges, etc) than when it is colder. I avoid commuting if it looks like chance of snow or rain. I think I have about 1,800 km since i got it out.

..Tom
Interesting, does that include over 0? so for example you'd consider +2C worse then -5C?

I've been dying to get the miles on my new bike, but I've had only a few chances thus far. I've actually had a wicked case of the flu for the past week so couldn't have road even if it was 20C lol.

I am looking forward to trying to put some miles on Friday if the weather holds :)

·
Super Moderator
13,093 Posts
Interesting, does that include over 0? so for example you'd consider +2C worse then -5C?

I've been dying to get the miles on my new bike, but I've had only a few chances thus far. I've actually had a wicked case of the flu for the past week so couldn't have road even if it was 20C lol.

I am looking forward to trying to put some miles on Friday if the weather holds :)
When it's -5 to -10 the odds of getting moisture in the air (which can freeze on cold roads) is very low. You have to be careful of snow that may have melted in the sun and caused ice on the road and tires will have less traction and watch out for lake effect snow. But there isn't water on the road and dry roads even cold have reasonable traction. It's pretty predictable.

At a bit over freezing, especially in then morning, moisture in the air can freeze on cold road surfaces. Water near freezing is different than water at other temperatures so you need to be very careful and of course if it turns to ice your bike will fall over. Conditions can change quickly. Not predicable.

Either way don't ride in either case unless you are very comfortable and sure of what you are doing.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yup....got out on Sunday at +7 & sunny, rode from Newmarket to Royal Distributing by Barrie and back after a some chilli at Tims.....OMG, felt good to get out. Had to try out the new Klim jacket and HJC Rmax helmet.....nice ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
When it's -5 to -10 the odds of getting moisture in the air (which can freeze on cold roads) is very low. You have to be careful of snow that may have melted in the sun and caused ice on the road and tires will have less traction and watch out for lake effect snow. But there isn't water on the road and dry roads even cold have reasonable traction. It's pretty predictable.

At a bit over freezing, especially in then morning, moisture in the air can freeze on cold road surfaces. Water near freezing is different than water at other temperatures so you need to be very careful and of course if it turns to ice your bike will fall over. Conditions can change quickly. Not predicable.

Either way don't ride in either case unless you are very comfortable and sure of what you are doing.

..Tom
Thanks for the advice Tom! I think i'll stick to my routine of not riding in the mornings unless it stays above 0 all night. Another 2-3 weeks and I'll be commuting on the bike as well :)

·
Super Moderator
13,093 Posts
Thanks for the advice Tom! I think i'll stick to my routine of not riding in the mornings unless it stays above 0 all night. Another 2-3 weeks and I'll be commuting on the bike as well :)
There's lot's of variables.. this AM was a nice ride in. It was -5°c (23°f) at home when I left. Barely any frost on the window of my car or on the bike cover. Roads nice and dry and by the time I got to work (82 km) it was right around 0°c (32°f) with the sun nicely shining.

No bugs! :)

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
WooHoo

I got for a ride short today in cold but sunny conditions and it felt great. The new progressive front springs and awesome. I should have done it 150,000km ago.
I feel that I'm alive; I survived another Canadian winter.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts