StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Huge winds last week. I park my bike every day at the subway/metro. I make sure my side stand is up against the curb. When I came back from work the bike had fallen down. Should I have been better in the center stand? The wind must have pushed the bike forward and this caused the stand to go up. No damage to the bike other than the reflector on the fork was bent.

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
I am glad there is no real damage. I can't tell much about the slope, if any that the bike was parked on.

I always park facing uphill in low gear with the side stand side lower if at all possible.

Then again strong enough winds move cars and trucks around and there is not much you can do against those winds.

RLBranson

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
yup. uphill and in gear. all the Suzukis I've had have been prone to falling forward off their side stands.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No hill, all flat. I did not think to ever leave it in gear...good eye cyclops...good eye... :)

·
Vendor
5,423 Posts
My DL650 got blown over three times. I live in the Tri-cities area of WA state at the time which is known for 45 to 60 mph winds in the spring carrying huge amounts of dust that got int everything. During the Manhattan project they were referred to as termination winds. After these winds kicked up the next day wives convinced their husbands the jobs weren't worth it and there would be mass terminations.

My pelican cases saved my bike form any damage all three times. Like a second set of crash bars for the bike.

·
Registered
441 Posts
In the 90's I had an '82 Seca 750 with full factory fairing, it got blown over in a high wind and cracked the plastic up pretty badly.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Yep, when in doubt, I always turn the bike off and put it in first, and then roll it forward until all the slack in the driveline is taken up, and then put it down the sidestand. That way it can't roll forward.
PLUS ONE!!!!!

Attachments

Reactions: jerryscove

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
I usually dump the clutch while in gear when coming to a stop so the bike is always in gear. That problem was worser on my 80/7 BMW. It had a spring loaded stand that always wanted to come up. PITA

·
Registered
234 Posts
I usually dump the clutch while in gear when coming to a stop so the bike is always in gear. That problem was worser on my 80/7 BMW. It had a spring loaded stand that always wanted to come up. PITA
My 1972 R75/5 was worser the same way.

The side stand couldn't be seen by the rider, hidden below the left cylinder. So BMWs solution was to make it self-retracting with a spring. Stand the bike up and take the weight off the stand and it would just pop right up. Genius.

The only problem was a good stiff wind would lift it up enough to retract it too. Down she goes.

Most of us learned to always park on the centerstand, which wasn't great either.

In regard to the Vstrom sidestand, it is so close to its fold up spot at full extension, that I don't trust it much either. Always park uphill or in gear. I almost dropped mine on the showroom floor when I was first looking at it. I raised it up off the stand, put the stand back down-apparently not quite to full extension- and set it back down gently.... and over it came on me. I caught it but that could have been embarrassing.:var_12:

................shu

·
Administrator
6,380 Posts
Same with the R100 Dakar - and it was mounted so far forward you needed to stretch your left leg right out and then drop the bike on its side - it was a sort of leap of faith. PITA 3.
I tried dismounting the bike but that threatened even more damage to ankles and knees if it did not hold. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't think there's going to be a huge difference between the sidestand and the centerstand. Look at the contact patch when on the sidestand (the triangle formed by each of the wheels and sidestand) and on the centerstand (both centerstand legs and the front wheel). There's not going to be a huge difference in width, which is what counts with a wind from the side.

Other than leaving the bike in the garage on a windy day and taking alternative transport, there's only two ways that you can prevent this. First is to put the bike into the wind as much as possible, or as close to a wall as possible (wind can't blow straight into a wall - it's going to be deflected by it). Second is to lock the bike to a solid object, using an attachment point as high up the bike as possible (e.g. luggage rack, pillion handholds or even the handlebars somehow, with the least amount of slack in the locking cable/chain.

In your case, you could've put the bike tight against the wall or locked it against that pole. But in both cases you'd go against the design of the parking space so you might have a problem there.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The one scenario where we wish for heavier bikes :grin2:

Yeah, in gear. It moved forward and the kickstand had only one place to go.

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
"Same with the R100 Dakar"

I had the '89 Bumble Bee. Beautiful, man. That side stand was a leaner too. When i pulled it out of the back of the garage to sell it I was surprised at the parked lean angle. Much worser than my Wee Strom.
It had been parked for a few years and I forgot. That's the problem with too many bikes in the garage.
At least I got out of it what i had paid for it 10 years earlier.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts