StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As many of you know I own several CNC machines and like to target over priced items and fill holes in the after market offerings for V-Stroms. I will not copy a man's original work that is competively priced. It's just not what I do.
A few years back I was inundated with request to figure out a way to lower the V-Strom foot pegs without the awkward reach to the pegs that the then current solution provided. It took me a few years, much consternation, many mock-ups, and a bit of testing to reach a solution. The effort paid off in my foot peg and control lowering kit and I marketed it at the same price as the the foot peg only lowering kit that was unsatisfactory.
The solutions that I worked so hard for has been copied by someone without the techincal expertise to figure it out themselves.
I also worked for a very, very long time to develop a larger kick stand foot for the DL1000. One that would work with all centerstands. Even Tourtech gave up on finding a solution to this problem.
If your thinking about buying anything from the guy who copied my footpeg and control lowering kit, ask yourself this question. Who would have worked so hard to find a solution if they could expect someone like this to simply steal their design?
There will be more diffucult challanges for the new bikes. Who is going to figure out the solutions? The salsman waiting to give the solution to someone to copy or the engineer?
This person also copied the Superbrace. I don't mean came up with their own design that did the same thing. They gave it to someone with the ability to simply copy (steal) the work of Superbrace's design engineers.
This shameful, unabashed unethical behavoir hurts the community. It discourages innovation and hard work. I encourage you to not stand for it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Can you tell us who copied it so we don't buy from there?

·
Administrator
16,595 Posts
Hmmmmm......I think I have an idea who copied it, a vendor/supporter here possibly?

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Saw this happen in the KLR650 parts world too. May wish to speak with Eagle Mike to see what recourse you really have. Someone sent parts overseas to be cloned and brought them back under Studebaker Mfg- absolutely no affiliation with the defunct car company. Happy-trail had their PD Nerf bars copied and the original flashing led brakelite company was put out of business by the clones. Ugly times.

·
Administrator
16,595 Posts
This is the country we live in now more than ever, let somebody else do all the hard work, and then a thief or lazy person benefits from that. I have been a big supporter of the vendor in question "I know I am not alone", I have now lost so much respect and admiration. Have gotten such great service, it all now makes me feel a bit dirty. Never dawned on me about designs and ideas being stolen, just thought some nice new products were being added to their business. Wonder if a response will be given, I am guessing unlikely as what is there to defend?

·
Registered
181 Posts
So the Strombrace and new foot peg lowering kit are identical or just similar? Hard to tell from the pics by switching over from site to site.

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The Strombrace is nearly identical to the Superbrace. The only significant difference besides manufacturing tolerances is the addition of SV Racing's name to the brace.

He copied the design of my foot peg and control lowering kit and changed some minor cosmetics including adding the name SV Racing to the plates. It is essentially identical, but most importantly uses the same methods to achieve the lowering of the peg and controls (e.g., flat head socket bolts penetrating from the back of an intermediary plate to lower the stock foot peg mounting plate and controls).

Slightly changing the shape and cutting SVR into it is a pretty thin disguise.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The Strombrace is nearly identical to the Superbrace. The only significant difference besides manufacturing tolerances is the addition of SV Racing's name to the brace.

He copied the design of my foot peg and control lowering kit and changed some minor cosmetics including adding the name SV Racing to the plates.
:thumbdown: that's pretty lame. Thanks for clarifying. I just wanted some more data before deciding where my cash goes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have never dealt with the vendor in question. My reason was their once a week spam on the site. I have however purchased almost the entire product line from Rick for my 2012 650 Adventure. He seems to post as a real member and rider as opposed to "spend your money here" type post. The follow up advice when questions are asked to Rick are outstanding as well as the videos for all of his products. I will continue to support him in all his endeavors. I always did like the originals not just lame copies.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I will continue to support you, as in the past. However, unless you have a patent, these things are bound to happen, re-inventing the wheel would be pointless?? There are lots of fork braces out there, German, Greek (probably all made in China) so it would not be a far stretch to play devil's advocate and say to a small degree you too copied the idea, if not the exact design. Yes you created the lowering pegs and I for one am grateful, but sooner or later someone will come up with a newer or similar design. I think you will enjoy more business from this site-members and other's I'm sure. Just be flexible on where you will post to, global is the way forward.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I bought several of Rick's products. All are excellent.

I've bought a couple from Blair--svracingparts.com. His original design stuff is good, as is his brand name stuff. But, the copies are just not right. Sorry Blair, adios.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Being that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I felt compelled to order Rick's fork brace, mirror extenders, and a turn signal running light converter - which I've been meaning to order for quite a while now. These should go along nicely with his foot peg lowering kit that I've already installed.

I just saw the thievery vs. flattery thread. The wording of my post was completely coincidental. Perhaps I should have said imitation is the sincerest form of thievery? Regardless, the quality and innovation of Rick's products speak for themselves. He has my business.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I've just found this thread after reading the other. Nice to see Rick's perspective. I also enjoyed many of Rick's products and a long phone conversation with him in regards to spacers and chain alignment. Hopefully, correct purchasing choices will be made by the informed. Kind of a crappy thing to do to Rick

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with one of the previous replies that one should really be surprised there are slippery people out there who will do this kind of thing, but we in the VStrom community can make a choice not to reward such behavior and, in fact, to punish it by not giving him ANY business. Like Rick said in the OP here, who will be there for us in the long run? A guy who steals someone else's ideas to make a quick buck, or someone who listens to what Strommers tell him they want and then engineers a way to make it happen?

I'd like to give the accused the chance to respond, but his continued silence makes me suspicious, to say the least. If it's not true, you'd think he'd have defended himself by now.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
A patent just gives one the right to sue. Getting a patent is expensive. Defending a patent is very expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Might I suggest that before everyone starts heating up the tar, gathering feathers, and digging the witch-hunting garb out of the closet that we do the one thing that each and everyone here would demand if they were in that position. That being give the guy an opportunity to defend himself.

I'm not defending anyone, I'm not accusing anyone. I'm just saying that in my experience there have always been two sides to each and every argument. Perhaps there is no defense, perhaps he will just disappear into the darkness. The photographs look pretty conclusive to me but I think the guy at least deserves a chance to speak for himself.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts