StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It'd be interesting to hear what things people would like to see in the perfect Wee (either the Wee platform (pre or post 2012) with mods, or perhaps a whole new model added to the lineup based on the strong points of the Wee)

For me, I'd like an "Adventure" version added to the line-up that was really more dirt/off-road capable. Something with more ground clearance, maybe a 21" front wheel, perhaps not quite as top heavy, more dirt type parts (MX type foot pegs, folding-tip shift lever, engine guards, strong hand guards (not just plastic), rack and side/top cases, ABS with an off switch, lower gearing for slow dirt but with appropriate gearing for the highway (sort of like the overdrive on the Vee), longer sidestand with a wider foot for soft surfaces, skid plate (strong one), maybe spoked wheels instead of cast aluminum, and upgraded front suspension (cartridge forks), more of a 50/50 on/off road tire (like the Heidenau K60 Scouts)

Of course, many of these things are mods I've done. :hurray:

Oh... and with the same amazing reliability and relatively low cost compared to the KTM's and BMW's of the world. I don't think that's too much to ask, eh? :thumbup:

Of course others might like more road-friendly features.

So what are your thoughts on the perfect Wee?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Since this is a wish list thread on future Suzuki models, I've moved it out of the past (2004-2011 thread) and into the Suzuki feedback thread where it may have some influence.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Lighter weight and 6 gallon fuel tank.

To get the weight I would be happy with they would have to make the engine a two stroke. Fine with me, just make it light and fast.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
The EPA won't allow a two stroke street legal bike.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm no expert but I don't think there is a rule against two strokes. It's just a matter of meeting the pollution / emissions requirements.

Those requirements can be met with a two stroke (as is being done today with outboard motors) but there are complicated and costly issues to be overcome. Right now it is cheaper and easier to stay with four strokes.

Too bad for people like me that don't mind ring-ding if it gives me what I want (light weight and power together).

·
Registered
617 Posts
I agree with you SeattleStrom. I am looking for a bike with more off-road ability. I would also add a little more horsepower to the list. The Triumph Tiger 800XC probably comes as close to my ideal bike as anything. If Suzuki could make a similar bike, but a little less expensive, I would buy one immediately.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I don't have one of the new Wee IIs, but based on what I've read the biggest negative - to me - is that they went the wrong way with fuel tank size. Nearly no increase in MPG combined with a smaller fuel tank results in shorter range - not longer. Not good in my view. If anyone at Suzuki is listening I hope you'll soon fix this and begin providing Wee IIs with larger fuel tanks. At least 6 gallons is my preference.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Lower centre of gravity.

Another 50 mm [2"] of ground clearance.

Less overall weight [but the big Beemers and Katos weigh as much or more, just not in the same place].

Of the three, the lower C of G would be the biggest bonus to improving the bike for dirt.

The bike can be lifted a little already with after market bits fairly cheaply and a decent bash plate helps compensate a little for the lack of true "off road" ground clearance.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I'd like to see:
1. Lighter bike, start with light muffler
2. Better sound (muffler)
3. 800cc
4. Better suspension
5. Better front brakes
6. Different looks, less 'rounder'
7. LED lights
8. Move some of the gas tank under the seat
9. Top quality crash bars and skid plate (AltRider like quality!)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wee ,s future.

Softer seat, storage in cockpit,750cc, better front suspension,move muffler a bit lower so luggage width can be narrower.lightweight shaft drive.Dont be cheap Suzuki put a center stand on , self cancelling turn signals.$9000-$10000

·
Registered
232 Posts
+2 for light weight shaft drive, ditto on self cancelling indicators.

back to original capacity fuel tank or slightly larger, mebbe moved down low something like BMW F650 etc so as to get a much lower centre of gravity.

More adjustable, better quality suspension. Spoked TUBELESS wheels as per BMW and Honda Cross Tourer.

Optional (and just as comfortable) lower seat height and/or suspension option, no more than 800 mm max.

And a PROPER (even manually adjustable) windscreen and a fairing design that together remove the annoying buffeting.

Factory Heated grips that work as well as after market would be a nice touch, ditto 12V Accessory socket, surely costs next to nothing, esp. when spread over many thousands of units????

Smaller, lighter better sounding silencer, to aid installation of luggage.

Engine in either the old or new Wee is just fine, but a slight increase in capacity to say 800 cc to overcome any power loss due to shaft drive would be fine!

Build this please Mr Suzuki-san, and we will happily come to you in the thousands with LOTs of money in our hands!!

And ditto all the above for the Big Brother 1000cc VStrom, but maybe out to 1100cc.

Build both of these for a sensible price, with your world famous reliability and low total cost of ownership, and BMW and the rest will have nowhere to hide.

With the greatest respect, with the highly trained minds and resources you have at your disposal at the factory Mr Suzuki-san, how hard can it be?

·
Registered
435 Posts
A Tall Tourer? Hellooo... Suzuki, are you there?

Yes, make a great sport tourer that has long travel for a soft ride and some RT like bodywork for good airflow and looks with the fore mentioned 750cc motor for two up power. The 19" front gives you good performance on many road surfaces and with a proper seat,6 gal tank and fairing, this is a world beater at $9000 even with chain drive. Make luggage optional, ABS standard, and I will trade my 12. I think it would be the perfect lightweight tourer with some dirt road capability and really no competition that I can see.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'd ask for:

Shaft drive
Optional cruise control (not a throttle lock)
A speedo that reads correctly.
Longer maintenance intervals
Lighter.

Otherwise, I'm really happy with my wee.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
I don't have one of the new Wee IIs, but based on what I've read the biggest negative - to me - is that they went the wrong way with fuel tank size. Nearly no increase in MPG combined with a smaller fuel tank results in shorter range - not longer. Not good in my view. If anyone at Suzuki is listening I hope you'll soon fix this and begin providing Wee IIs with larger fuel tanks. At least 6 gallons is my preference.
I'd like a bigger tank on the 2012 DL650 but in all fairness if I compare the tank range of my 2006 with my 2012 the projected range has been essentially the same. Ont the 2006 with 125,800 miles and 643 fill ups my average projected range from a tank of fuel is 267 miles. For my 2012 with 34,000 miles and 168 fill ups my average projected tank range is 263.5 miles.

..Tom

·
Registered
812 Posts
+1 on the larger tank

Also, as others have mentioned, wire wheels.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'd like a bigger tank on the 2012 DL650 but in all fairness if I compare the tank range of my 2006 with my 2012 the projected range has been essentially the same. Ont the 2006 with 125,800 miles and 643 fill ups my average projected range from a tank of fuel is 267 miles. For my 2012 with 34,000 miles and 168 fill ups my average projected tank range is 263.5 miles.

..Tom
I don't keep track so I can't provide an average, but the longest I've gone on my 2012 is 275.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts