StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an avid podcast listener, and subscribe to several motorcycle-themed 'casts. I was disappointed when one of my favorites, The Pace, essentially went dark without much explanation over a year ago.

I liked The Pace because of it's relatively no-nonsense approach to the format; I've heard it referred to as "the NPR of motorcycle podcasts". The general tomfoolery of WheelNerds or Cleveland Moto can be fun, but sometimes you just want to hear stuff straight-up.

On the last episode of WheelNerds, they had James from The Pace on as a guest and he stated that the show went into hiatus primarily because his co-host, Chris, took a new job that was causing him to work crazy hours, leaving no time to record -- much less edit -- a regular show. According to James, they have a plan to bring it back in 2018, using a slightly modified format that will fit better into his co-host's busy schedule.

I have my fingers crossed...

·
Registered
371 Posts
That sounds neat. I will look for it

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm an avid podcast listener, and subscribe to several motorcycle-themed 'casts.
Thanks for the point over to Wheelnerds. What other casts do you listen to?

I'm afraid I've dropped a number of casts due to my Canuckistan values. Honestly, if you are riding your Harley to not wear a helmet and to pack your concealed carry, you've just turned me off. The guys with the no helmet can be a good citizen if he has his insurance paid up blah blah blah... whatever. So, I know I've sworn off one of the big ones. So the American Biker and its ilk are all out.

I swore off of Creative Riding, the host is a bit of a dork. He does interviews in pit lane so you can hear nothing, but he's also too-cool-for-school.

I do like Asphalt and Rubber, as I think Jensen is quite perceptive on the industry as a whole. He has to learn how to curtail Quentin's mechanical-nerdiness though. Other than that, I think they put out a solid podcast.

I also think for what it is that Adventure Rider Radio is pretty good, and I normally listen in my car so I can skip the sponsorship stuff (sorry Jim). I've heard it lots though. And Jim's a fellow British Columbian, so...

Any others that you would recommend? I looked at my Pocketcasts (AWESOME podcast software) list, and note that I have subscribed to the Pace, but haven't listened to anything as they haven't put anything new out.

Thanks, and sorry to hijack the thread! :new_hijacked:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried a lot too, and I'm also pretty picky about what I listen to. For example, I gave 'Motorcycle Men' a try, but it definitely wasn't my cup of tea (die-hard V-twin crowd, with too much talk about loud pipes, chrome accessories and helmet laws).

Ones I like (beyond those mentioned above):

Adventure Rider Radio - IMO, the most professionally produced podcast in the MC genre. Jim's a good interviewer, and the fact that he doesn't have a co-host ups the production value. As the name suggests, it definitely leans toward the ADV crowd, but I've heard lots of great interviews with RTW travelers.

Cleveland Moto - A recent addition, and I'm working my way through back episodes at this time. I'm a bit iffy on this one. On one hand, they talk a lot about vintage bikes, Phil's a halfway-decent master-of-ceremonies, and they are (generally) proponents of ATGATT, which I enjoy. But there's usually 4-5 participants and it's hard to listen when multiple people are talking at once. And the other off-putting item is that they regularly and frequently talk about drinking and riding/driving, even laughing about how drunk they were on recent trips. I guess it could be argued they're doing this for 'entertainment value'. But it all just rings a little too true to me, and I'm very much opposed to that sort of thing.

Cafe Racer - Don't be fooled by the name -- they typically talk about all varieties of bikes. I'd say this one is as close to The Pace as I've heard, though it falls a little shy of that standard, to me. The addition of Steve as a co-host definitely brought the quality up. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the near future, as the other host (Chris, or 'Crash') is active-duty Air Force and will be away from the podcast during an upcoming deployment in 2018.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks for the point over to Wheelnerds. What other casts do you listen to?

I'm afraid I've dropped a number of casts due to my Canuckistan values. Honestly, if you are riding your Harley to not wear a helmet and to pack your concealed carry, you've just turned me off. The guys with the no helmet can be a good citizen if he has his insurance paid up blah blah blah... whatever. So, I know I've sworn off one of the big ones. So the American Biker and its ilk are all out.

I swore off of Creative Riding, the host is a bit of a dork. He does interviews in pit lane so you can hear nothing, but he's also too-cool-for-school.

I do like Asphalt and Rubber, as I think Jensen is quite perceptive on the industry as a whole. He has to learn how to curtail Quentin's mechanical-nerdiness though. Other than that, I think they put out a solid podcast.

I also think for what it is that Adventure Rider Radio is pretty good, and I normally listen in my car so I can skip the sponsorship stuff (sorry Jim). I've heard it lots though. And Jim's a fellow British Columbian, so...

Any others that you would recommend? I looked at my Pocketcasts (AWESOME podcast software) list, and note that I have subscribed to the Pace, but haven't listened to anything as they haven't put anything new out.

Thanks, and sorry to hijack the thread! :new_hijacked:

I actually just started listening to Adventure Rider Radio. Thanks for mentioning it. I was looking for something to listen to.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ommoran

·
Registered
15,517 Posts
"Pace" was a younger persons magazine in the 60's. The Hot Shot crew i was on was featured in one of it's issues.
At the 50th anniversary reunion the photographer was in attendance.
May your version of Pace mean something in the future too!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good to know the Pace may be coming back.

Another MC podcast not mentioned yet is 'Throttled'.

It’s kind of low key like the Pace. One host rides a Super Tenere and the other rides a Harley so the types of motorcycling covered is pretty balanced.

·
Registered
387 Posts
On the last episode of WheelNerds...
Thanks for pointing this one out to me - I've only listened to the most recent cast, but it seems enjoyable!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for pointing this one out to me - I've only listened to the most recent cast, but it seems enjoyable!
I'd say WheelNerds is my favorite, while The Pace (prior to its hiatus) was a close second. Part of the fun is that the hosts from both shows know each other, are friends, and regularly take light-hearted jabs at one another.

"Take that, The Pace!"

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
It's pretty focused on Iron Butts and Rallies, but I've been enjoying Long Riders Radio lately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts