StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
LED lighting all around would be nice and put lower load on the starter switch etc. Cruise control and a few other goodies on a higher model. Would be nice if the parallel twin configuration lowers the overall weight but would not want less than a 20L fuel tank.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That bike is going to be $2-3000 more than the current 650 I'll bet.

Still going to want one?
They'll need to price it below the Triumph 850, which is 12 grand (USD). So they can't raise the price much. And maybe they won't need to raise it much. A parallel twin is cheaper to build than an L twin. Use the money they save building the engine to improve the suspension components. And if they add throttle by wire, just like the 1050, there's cost savings in parts and manufacturing, possibly. So then maybe that additional cost is minimal. Hello cruise control.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
They'll need to price it below the Triumph 850, which is 12 grand (USD). So they can't raise the price much. And maybe they won't need to raise it much. A parallel twin is cheaper to build than an L twin. Use the money they save building the engine to improve the suspension components. And if they add throttle by wire, just like the 1050, there's cost savings in parts and manufacturing, possibly. So then maybe that additional cost is minimal. Hello cruise control.
Going to need a new frame for the new motor. Cost of the motor enough to upgrade suspension maybe. The 1000 doesn't have great suspension it's a couple generations old now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The L twin is what defines the Vstrom.

Suzuki would be smart to drop the Vstrom name and come up with something fresh. This bike will live or die based on marketing.
The V-Strom 250 has a parallel twin. :unsure:

If it's a good bike, I'll be interested regardless of what they call it. As long as it's not P-Strom.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It doesn't look like it will have the V-Twin from the complete photo I saw, it looks more like a parallel twin. Will Suzuki call it a PStrom? The rumour mill reports a 75 hp engine but it will still have the same barely adequate brakes as the current 650 VStrom. It's suppose to compete with the Tenere 700 but Yamaha has already moved on from the basic T7 to its T7 World Raid.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Helmet Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
622 Posts
The WR T7 addresses some of the shortcomings of the original T7. Primarily, its top heaviness, by moving some of its fuel down low like the KTM 890 series. It's the same engine and tune. So the T7 still retains low 60's rwhp, which is really good for low end torque. No doubt if you spend a lot of time off road, the T7 is your bike, and the WR moves the T7 further into that class in the same realm as the KTM 890 Adventure R.

This new Suzuki is going to be more inline with the KTM 890 Adventure (standard). I'm guessing about 8 inches of suspension travel and the same ground clearance. This makes the new Suzuki more friendly to more riders who occasionally go off road (same as the standard KTM 890). And if Suzuki moved the fuel tank under the seat (very possible based on the photos), then the Center of Gravity improves further, which in turn makes the bike even easier to handle at slow speeds and off road. Let's face it, nobody wants to be tippy toeing a 35"+ seat height on a 460+ lbs. bike! Speaking of which, the 890's weigh in around 465+ lbs. wet. The T7's and Tuareg 660's come in around 455 lbs. wet. The current VStrom 650 base model comes in at 470 lbs. wet.

·
Registered
912 Posts
My Tiger 900 weights within a few pounds of my 650 Wee. Triumph did a great job of moving the engine down and forward while maintaining ground clearance. They shortened the oil pan and tilted the enge a bit forward to make this happen.The improvement in feel is very noticeable. Also the seat height is great as I can flat foot it with both feet. ( I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam). The handling is wonderful and its a very easy bike to ride. The Vstrom is a wonderful bike but it can be made even better....but at a price as in $$$$$. There is no free lunch.

·
Premium Member
2020 V-Strom 650XT Adventure
54 Posts
Regardless of any improvements or new features, if the replacement bike is a parallel twin then it is no longer a V-Strom and the era is over. The L twin is the heart and soul of the Wee.The new bike will just join the ranks of all the other midweight parallel twin bikes out there, and the simple, reasonably priced, do it all "Swiss army knife" bike will be gone. More and more instead of a sport adventure tourer, one will have to decide whether they want sport or adventure or tourer, but not all three in one. Think Tracer 700 vs. Tenere 700, Versys vs. KLR, etc. I expect the Wee to become/remain a sought after cult classic while other 650s will just be used motorcycles for sale. And those who can will continually upgrade to the latest and greatest bikes in search of their unicorn.
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
38 Posts
Regardless of any improvements or new features, if the replacement bike is a parallel twin then it is no longer a V-Strom and the era is over. The L twin is the heart and soul of the Wee.The new bike will just join the ranks of all the other midweight parallel twin bikes out there, and the simple, reasonably priced, do it all "Swiss army knife" bike will be gone. More and more instead of a sport adventure tourer, one will have to decide whether they want sport or adventure or tourer, but not all three in one. Think Tracer 700 vs. Tenere 700, Versys vs. KLR, etc. I expect the Wee to become/remain a sought after cult classic while other 650s will just be used motorcycles for sale. And those who can will continually upgrade to the latest and greatest bikes in search of their unicorn.
View attachment 307461
Hm, I've read the Yamaha CP2 is a sweet engine with more low end tourque (yet to ride one). I would take that in a Wee over the peak HP at 9000 rpm.
Hoping Suzuki will do something similar with their 700 PTwin.

·
Registered
38 Posts
View attachment 307461
Hm, I've read the Yamaha CP2 is a sweet engine with more low end tourque (yet to ride one). I would take that in a Wee over the peak HP at 9000 rpm.
Hoping Suzuki will do something similar with their 700 PTwin.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I will never deny that the 90 degree V-twin was one of the first things that drew me to the Vstrom. Without that engine it just won't be the same...... Not to say a parallel twin is bad.....just that I loved the Strom engine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Curious what do you guys find so special about the L engine? I did join late the Strom party, with Gen 3. Engine is ok, but I don't enjoy reving it up to 8-9.5k and I wish it had a bit more oomph under 5k (it isn't bad).

21 - 40 of 43 Posts