StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scala Rider Q2 gets a good review from webbikeworld.com and from lots of friends that have them. The G4 is supposed to be an upgraded/revised model.

Any Stromers out there have one yet?

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
My wife and I love the Scala Rider2 for our trips, from what I understand the only real difference with the version 4 is that it has Blue Tooth stereo rather than mono....

Ron W.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Scala Rider Q2 gets a good review from webbikeworld.com and from lots of friends that have them. The G4 is supposed to be an upgraded/revised model.

Any Stromers out there have one yet?
not available yet. all the sites "selling" them say not avialable. some offer to contact you when they are. i'll wait for the team set so i can get the second unit at a discount. looks better than the Q2 at least.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The G4 has been on a delayed release for about 4 months and no date in sight. They are a significant update on the Q2 adding stereo bluetooth (about time), connections to 4 users, and up to 1 mile range. Premium price of $299 per set.

However, the Cardo Scala products are no longer leading but now playing catch up. Consider the Chatterbox brand which has gotten good reviews at Webbikeworld. Look at the XBi for rider to passenger and the XBi2 for bike to bike. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
148 Posts
Anyone here have a G4 yet? I did some research over at ADV Rider, too, but I wanted some more opinions. I missed 3 calls from my pregnant wife yesterday, so I guess it's time to look into bluetooth for the bike.

Revzilla is selling it for $250. Anyone know of it being sold cheaper elsewhere?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Anyone here have a G4 yet? I did some research over at ADV Rider, too, but I wanted some more opinions. I missed 3 calls from my pregnant wife yesterday, so I guess it's time to look into bluetooth for the bike.

Revzilla is selling it for $250. Anyone know of it being sold cheaper elsewhere?
Lots of folks on the ADV site have them, should be good info over there. A co-worker has a set on the way (should have them mid next week). Pd 265 for the set.

Ken

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quick Review of G4 Powerset

We received our set a couple weeks ago from Revzilla. I ordered from them because I found a code on ADVrider discounting the set significantly (I'll go back and look for the code if anyone is interested). We paid $369.99 for a pair of headsets, which I thought was a pretty good deal since the listed price was $440.96.

My primary purpose for these was to talk to my wife when she rides with me. I like the ability to answer a phone call too. This is the first intercom system I have ever used. We've only used it once, and I am happy with it. It was easy to install on my Scorpion helmet. We had a hard time figuring it out at first, and when we started riding, we left the channel open, and we both got a lot of wind static noise. I switched over to the closed channel, and this worked much better. It was a little tricky to start a conversation at times, and after attempts at yelling various words to "start" the conversation, I found the best luck with "yope". :yikes:

It was pretty funny initially- I didn't think the channel was open once and started yelling to open the channel, and my wife screamed immediately- apparently it was already open. Later, we were driving through a city and she was trying to open the channel from her end, with no luck. I nearly had to pull over because I was laughing so hard at all the people looking at us wondering why she was yelling. It seemed to work much better at higher speeds/ more wind noise.

The one time I tried a phone conversation with it, she could hear me fine, but for me to hear her she had to yell. I need to figure out how to work this better. I haven't tried any music with it- I have the first gen iphone, and I don't think it does stereo bluetooth anyway.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
We received our set a couple weeks ago from Revzilla. I ordered from them because I found a code on ADVrider discounting the set significantly (I'll go back and look for the code if anyone is interested). We paid $369.99 for a pair of headsets, which I thought was a pretty good deal since the listed price was $440.96.

My primary purpose for these was to talk to my wife when she rides with me. I like the ability to answer a phone call too. This is the first intercom system I have ever used. We've only used it once, and I am happy with it. It was easy to install on my Scorpion helmet. We had a hard time figuring it out at first, and when we started riding, we left the channel open, and we both got a lot of wind static noise. I switched over to the closed channel, and this worked much better. It was a little tricky to start a conversation at times, and after attempts at yelling various words to "start" the conversation, I found the best luck with "yope". :yikes:

It was pretty funny initially- I didn't think the channel was open once and started yelling to open the channel, and my wife screamed immediately- apparently it was already open. Later, we were driving through a city and she was trying to open the channel from her end, with no luck. I nearly had to pull over because I was laughing so hard at all the people looking at us wondering why she was yelling. It seemed to work much better at higher speeds/ more wind noise.

The one time I tried a phone conversation with it, she could hear me fine, but for me to hear her she had to yell. I need to figure out how to work this better. I haven't tried any music with it- I have the first gen iphone, and I don't think it does stereo bluetooth anyway.
I have the Q2 set, and really like it. I too had probs with the VOX, the wind would often actuate it, disrupting our tunes. I switched off the VOX and just use "manual", i.e., hit the button leaving the channel open until done yakking, and then hit the button again to shut it off. Seems to work fine in this mode.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Does anyone know if you can pair the new G4 set with the older Q2 set???
From the Cardo website:

"Backward compatible with entire Motorcycle Bluetooth scala rider product line of headsets**"

I wondered the same thing, and just to be sure will send an email to Cardo. Will advise of any reply.

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the G4, and so far I am not impressed, there is no way to turn up the volume to a normal level while talking.
The Cardo help desk says you should be able to have normal conversations up to about 60 mph..

Same with my ipod, not at all loud enough. Funny thing is that when I turn on the build in radio it is loud enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I traded my Blueant Interphone in for these and I like them.

The voice comms can be hit and miss sometimes but the streaming music, GPS instructions and phone calls from my iPhone 3Gs is great

Don't know how I ever lived without cordless music before :p

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have the G4, and so far I am not impressed, there is no way to turn up the volume to a normal level while talking.
The Cardo help desk says you should be able to have normal conversations up to about 60 mph..

Same with my ipod, not at all loud enough. Funny thing is that when I turn on the build in radio it is loud enough.
It is normal for an IPod to loose its volume when going thru the Cardo. I use a BoostaRoo to regain the volume, it also extends the battery life of your Pod by not having to have the Pod volume turned up so loud.

I use this one: http://www.boostaroo.com/store_detail.php4?id=14

but they do have several models. It improves the sound as well. The battery for the Roo lasts hundreds of hours.

The G4 is indeed backward compatable with the previous systems, I confirmed this with Caro.

Cheers!

·
Registered
381 Posts
It is normal for an IPod to loose its volume when going thru the Cardo. I use a BoostaRoo to regain the volume, it also extends the battery life of your Pod by not having to have the Pod volume turned up so loud.

I use this one: http://www.boostaroo.com/store_detail.php4?id=14

but they do have several models. It improves the sound as well. The battery for the Roo lasts hundreds of hours.

The G4 is indeed backward compatable with the previous systems, I confirmed this with Caro.

Cheers!
I've been trying to find out if you can protect your hearing with ear plugs and still hear the sound from the G4 or does pressing your ears to the helmet speakers do that? Email Tech support at Scala is pathetic so I still haven't found out.

Does the Boosteroo attach to the iPhone and then the sound is boosted and sent by Bluetooth to the Scala G4?

Also, they do have the G-4 available at the CycleBarn in Lynnwood. I'm trying to interest my riding partner into buying the set of 2 which I believe is 2 complete sets and the savings is about $80.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
On the Q2 series, the IPod or MP3 player is wired. I would assume that if you are using a bluetooth enabled music device, you shouldnt lose any volume. I could be wrong.

Cheers,

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Heh...my Q2 when wired to my iPhone does not loose any volume. 75 mph and I can hear the music clearly (not deafening loud), with ear plugs in, with the volume at ~60% on the iPhone. 100% volume on the iPhone and Q2 would destroy my ears.

Voice still comes through pretty good. Been riding my wife's 650R lately, and even with wind noise and earplugs in, I can make and hear phone calls very clearly.

I must have gotten one of the last Q2 runs or something with special inards.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Heh...my Q2 when wired to my iPhone does not loose any volume. 75 mph and I can hear the music clearly (not deafening loud), with ear plugs in, with the volume at ~60% on the iPhone. 100% volume on the iPhone and Q2 would destroy my ears.

Voice still comes through pretty good. Been riding my wife's 650R lately, and even with wind noise and earplugs in, I can make and hear phone calls very clearly.

I must have gotten one of the last Q2 runs or something with special inards.
Hey Low, That's just what I'm looking for except I like the wireless and want to give the Scala g4 a try or something similar in another brand. Trying to get rid of the tethering.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts