StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here I am on Sunday the seventeenth of May. I was watching the weather and there is only a slight chance for scattered thunderstroms. I'm thinking a nice ride that week because I had four days off. I went to bed dreaming of nice straight Florida roads lined with huge old oaks with moss hanging off them. Ahhhhhh

I woke up, sort of, to the sound of rain pattering on the roof. It can't possibly be raining so I drifted back to sleep.

The next morning it was overcast, I checked the weather and they said a 90% chance of rain. I looked at the radar on my company website and there is a small rotating slight depression over the gulf. I set a five gallon bucket out on the driveway to see how much rain. The next morning it was full. That's two feet. I emptyed it out and set it out again, two feet. Needless to say I didn't get much riding done. I was out in the shed and it was raining hard enough that I couldn't see the house twenty feet away.

It is still raining. I got just enough dryness to mow my lawn, which had grown 6 inches. I went from a dead lawn to a lush jungle growth in a week.

I think I'll go get a six pack and a movie.
Al

·
Registered
414 Posts
We went from drought conditions for months to non-stop rain for the last week.

My son got his license last August so he isn't familiar with riding in the rainy season. Still hasn't picked up rain gear and is uncomfortable riding in heavy rain. He better get used to it or he won't be going far for the next couple of months :p

·
Registered
776 Posts
Rain used to dictate how I would ride in the summer months, now, I plan the ride and do it unless it is pouring, then I may delay riding, but usually, it's going to happen. I've got very good rain gear and water tight boots now, and all rainy days do is keep the tach a little tamer.:cool:

happy trails,

Clem

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody is doing anything about it.

I remember Florida: a 30% chance of rain in the summer means a 100% chance of a downpour at 3:30 every afternoon.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
My buddy from Lantana, Florida was supposed to ride his FJR up here to NC today. He finally called me to plan for another weekend. Can five years of drought be made up in a week?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Rain in the summer in Florida's is nature's air-conditioning. :p
Yeah, but after it rains and the sun comes back out, the humidity is even worse - which I didn't think was possible in Florida. It's the only state besides Louisiana that can reach 150% humidity without it causing some form of precipitation.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hey, don't like the rain, go back north and ride in the snow.......

It's Florida, it's not raining 100 feet down the road. Keep riding.

The rain really did hurt the bike time but everyones knows we really needed it.

150 miles today and still have time to clean the house. :)

CPope

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Thank you Charlie for those words of encouragement! Right, I rode about 70 miles today and spent time shopping for tires for the cage.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Just wanted you Florida folks I'll be in the sunshine state tomorrow. Mainly Key West.

For about four hours in the afternoon.

Can you rent a scooter from the KW airport?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just wanted you Florida folks I'll be in the sunshine state tomorrow. Mainly Key West.

For about four hours in the afternoon.

Can you rent a scooter from the KW airport?
Hi

I will probably be there as well, but I am unsure when exactly or for how long

And JRShaw, I will be in your town over the next few days, getting my tyre fixed at a shop up that way, probably Friday night at this stage.

Cheers
TS

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Traveling Strom spent the night, had a few beers, showered, did a little laundry and is now on his way north. Great to meet you and learn a little more about Strommers. Ride safe friend!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Some of my best rides have been in the rain. Had an all day of rain last time I went to the Smoky's, but I had a ball and saw some fantastic scenery. I did see a Kyaker on one of the larger rivers and thought he was nuts to be out there while it was raining, but then I realized that he was doing the same as this very soaked motorcycle rider, and probably enjoying every minute of it.

None of the Stromtroppers that I've ridden with would stop riding because of a little rain. A lightning storm is a different thing. After being hit by lightning in my Ford Expedition, I know those steel belted tires aren't going to protect me.

I need a good day ride ride......rain or shine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts