Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is whispered that there are roads in Ohio worthy of worship, better than the Dragon, roads perfectly paved, with no traffic. Roads that run for miles and miles of twisty, windy, sharply banked turns.

Should I even breathe the name of the venerable route 26 that runs up the middle of the Wayne National Forest near Marietta? We don't want hordes of bikes jostling for room, squeezing us out, running us down in their rush to enjoy the view of the river, the Mail Pouch Tobacco barns, the covered bridges. And what of the #260, #565, #537, #145...? Roads that corkscrew thru the woods, with no shoulders, no flat place to put a kickstand or even put down a foot to take a photo to prove they exist.

Or the most fantastical route #255...a road that makes you laugh out loud as it snakes up and down a narrow ridge of land, tidy century farms clinging to the edges as it drops off both sides to pastures dotted with cattle and woods of burnished fall colours of russets, golds and brilliant yellows.
Maybe this road only exists for a couple of perfect fall days of the year, like the weekend just past... like a "Brigadoon" of the motorcycling world.

But wait...here comes two motorcycles towards me. With those familiar slanty-eyed headlights. One of the riders wearing a high viz jacket. Could it be two more Stromtroopers have found this mythical road? We lift our hands in recognition and ride our separate ways.

And now our dilemma...should we remain silent and keep this magical, riding mecca to ourselves?
Or should we spread the word of the glorious riding in this small corner of the world?

Naaaaaah...forget I said anything!:mrgreen:

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I'll take 255 over the Dragon any day. It is definitely in my top 3 favorite roads of all time. SE Ohio has fantastic roads.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The roads are great, but often not as well maintained or marked as the Dragon. Also there are a lot of driveway and other connections which is one of the main reasons the dragon is so venerated. The "triple nickel" 555 is also a fun road. On the up side there are a LOT less cops in ALL OF SE OHIO then in the first mile of the gap. But do watch out for those Ohio cops, nearly 90% of yearly revenue is due to speeding tickets in my observation.

-GW

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Nice story and wonderful photographs. I like the schoolhouse shot. Kind of speaks to me.

·
Super Moderator
12,983 Posts
Hey Footloose!

Those roads are crap and no one should ever ride on them. They are a big disappointment and I know the only reason you posted was so that people would not go to some of the better roads out there, like the challenging I75 (which is very popular with Canadians and very challenging to Torontonians.)

You might consider heading down to the Ohio bike meet on Labor day (US equivalent to Labour Day in Canada.) A bunch of riders, many on Stroms, camp there for the weekend and commiserate on how boring the roads are down there.

..Tom

ps: there is a trend for Canadians to crash on that weekend. We need to break that trend.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Tom! :mrgreen: Don't even get me started on the I75! I went thru four separate areas of construction on the I94 and I75 on my way to Ohio and endured an extra 2 1/2 hrs of clutch grabbing, stop and go lineups!
I would have rather eaten glass than return home that way and so took I23 to I69 back thru Flint, even though it was a longer route.

We'll have to make it to the campout next year. Funny...we have spent the last several Labour Days in SE Ohio but somehow missed the fact that there were other Troopers there.

Hey Footloose!

Those roads are crap and no one should ever ride on them. They are a big disappointment and I know the only reason you posted was so that people would not go to some of the better roads out there, like the challenging I75 (which is very popular with Canadians and very challenging to Torontonians.)

You might consider heading down to the Ohio bike meet on Labor day (US equivalent to Labour Day in Canada.) A bunch of riders, many on Stroms, camp there for the weekend and commiserate on how boring the roads are down there.

..Tom

ps: there is a trend for Canadians to crash on that weekend. We need to break that trend.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Notice my nice Geo Globe decal on the right hand side pannier? Received from Yukontracker and applied just in time for my trip.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I'm dying to try 255. I just wish it wasn't 3 hours on the Slab to get there from my house.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm dying to try 255. I just wish it wasn't 3 hours on the Slab to get there from my house.
Now, that's no excuse! :) It's 3 hours on the slab and an additional 4 or 5 hours of two-laning for me to get there. And that's on a good day with no :furious: construction.

·
Super Moderator
16,730 Posts
Me and Steve "Firedog45" have been talking about taking a few days before the weather turns to ass, to ride all the roads mentioned and much more. Using Marietta as the basecamp "very cool and historic city" and doing the covered bridge tour as well. Would love to get a group of us together.......any takers???:yesnod:

Check this out guys....... Motorcycle Riding Tours

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Does Glenn have a place in Marietta?

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Me and Steve "Firedog45" have been talking about taking a few days before the weather turns to ass, to ride all the roads mentioned and much more. Using Marietta as the basecamp "very cool and historic city" and doing the covered bridge tour as well. Would love to get a group of us together.......any takers???:yesnod:

Check this out guys....... Motorcycle Riding Tours
Arrrgh! I wanna come back!

I stayed in Marietta and have on several previous trips as well. It's the perfect "base camp".
Great river side restaurant, frequented by all the local riders is the Riverboat BBQ on the Ohio River. There's an outdoor patio if the weather is good.
I've stayed in the historic Lafayette Hotel right downtown on the Ohio River. It's a neat place with unique rooms and a dining room breakfast included.
I also highly recommend the Best Western...it's a small place, more like a motel, with ground floor rooms you can park in front of. Also includes a very good, make your own breakfast in the lobby. The management is very bike-friendly...they keep map cards for motorcycle tours in the lobby and have been known to go out at night and place a towel on the seat of my bike to keep the dew off! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Maybe. I love riding that area and depending on what you get going I might get out for one last kickass ride of the year. Keep me posted on your plans.

Me, too!

10char

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
If you folks decide you want to make the trip, I live in Pickerington. Great ride through Hocking to SE Ohio. Plenty of beds/couches and garage space. And I'll convince the wife to make to breakfast.
That, my friend, is an awesome gesture. Would be nice to have a 'home base' of sorts in the area. To get down there, fully enjoy the roads and riding and then come back home makes for a LONG day. Hopefully November/December will be kind to us! Rode to work this morning...33F.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts