StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the first time, in 8 years, my 2013 DL650 did nor start: blinking FI light. Oh crap!

Two days before I took out my battery to help a friend test his bike, so I thougth I had left something loose. But, as I removed my seat, found mouse shit over my battery, a couple of doog fod balls inside and some chewed cables.

After further inspection, the positve terminal rubber cover has been munched on, one ABS cable insulation was eroded which can be easily repaired. However, the dreaded mouse complety ate 3 wires that connect to a component I can not identify. This component sits right behind the battery, on the left hand side of the ABS VALVE fuse. Its wires are colored black-brown / brown-white / red.

Luckly, it doesn't seem too hard to fix

Just wanted to vent a little bit, and also ask if someone can identify this component.
This picture swos the aftermath of the roden attack. The unidenitified component can be seen in the tool basket.
The white goo is insect spray, nothing to worry about.

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Bumper Computer hardware Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
9,786 Posts
After further inspection, the positve terminal rubber cover has been munched on, one ABS cable insulation was eroded which can be easily repaired. However, the dreaded mouse complety ate 3 wires that connect to a component I can not identify. This component sits right behind the battery, on the left hand side of the ABS VALVE fuse. Its wires are colored black-brown / brown-white / red.

Just wanted to vent a little bit, and also ask if someone can identify this component.
This picture swos the aftermath of the roden attack. The unidenitified component can be seen in the tool basket.
The white goo is insect spray, nothing to worry about.
The unit is your TO (tip over) sensor and you have the correct response for that fault.
It has a rubber case and fits over the two plastic prongs near the bottom of your image. Repair and rejoin the three wires and reinstall it.
Warning. The rubber case has the word UP on one side. Ensure that this side is reinstalled uppermost or the bike will not work. This unit is designed to stop the motor if your bike falls over.
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
2012 V-strom 677 ABS
3,037 Posts
Wonder how the plastic came out the other end? If at all? :oops:

Hire a security cat! :cool:

I may have to. Battling a chipmunk right now. Don't feed the animals! AMHIK

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for your answers.

Tip over sensor: now it makes sense why it sounds like a spray paint when you shake it. :rolleyes:

I will try to find the most closely colored wires in the shop, and fix the bike asap.
Will post a follow up soon.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
My neighbor down the farm stored some sheep pellets in his car, they chewed through the wires where they passed through the fire wall to make a entry and exit point.

I got the job of putting 27 wires back together, working under the dash and under the hood at the same time was a challenge, he is lucky I don't charge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts